• You cannot reply to this topic

3SXX Play problem

#1 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2012-April-22, 18:54

From f2f competition, yesterday. How would you play 3XX, as West, on Q lead?.
Spoiler

#2 User is offline   tolvyrj 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-April-23, 09:20

Apart from a miracle, i see no way to make this. Ok, if North i totally lunatic and has no reason for his dbl then, but this seems like S make his call with aided by void in , its even clearer assumption since his suit is headed only by K and J. U r going to lose and and if r 5-0....pheeew. In pairs competition this is simple since after the XX it dosent really matter how many u go down, in IMPs this need more careful scrutiny.

#3 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me

Posted 2012-April-23, 11:04

View Posttolvyrj, on 2012-April-23, 09:20, said:

Apart from a miracle, i see no way to make this. Ok, if North i totally lunatic and has no reason for his dbl then, but this seems like S make his call with aided by void in , its even clearer assumption since his suit is headed only by K and J. U r going to lose and and if r 5-0....pheeew. In pairs competition this is simple since after the XX it dosent really matter how many u go down, in IMPs this need more careful scrutiny.
The scoring is MP pairs. You may not agree with the redouble but you can take into consideration that others may be playing in doubled contracts.

#4 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-24, 08:18

What happens if I win and play the SK?

ahydra

#5 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me

Posted 2012-April-24, 08:31

View Postahydra, on 2012-April-24, 08:18, said:

What happens if I win and play the SK?
If you tackled , RHO would discard a low .

#6 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-24, 08:43

With 25 combined and an 8 card fit, I expect 4SX to be a common contract, even 8 tricks will beat them (-200 vs -300), so once spades break 5-0, I just bang down the clubs giving them 3 spades, a diamond and a heart for -1. I think any effort to make this will cause us to lose control.
Wayne Somerville

#7 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me

Posted 2012-April-24, 10:13

View Postmanudude03, on 2012-April-24, 08:43, said:

With 25 combined and an 8 card fit, I expect 4SX to be a common contract, even 8 tricks will beat them (-200 vs -300), so once spades break 5-0, I just bang down the clubs giving them 3 spades, a diamond and a heart for -1. I think any effort to make this will cause us to lose control.
Unfortunately, you get a bottom if you settle for one off. :(

#8 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-24, 10:33

View Postnige1, on 2012-April-24, 08:31, said:

If you tackled , RHO would discard a low .

In which case I say "f*ck" and fake a heart attack follow manudude's line to go 1 off and blame partner for XX'ing at matchpoints (3SX= would have been a top anyway).

There's always a (very small) chance they won't find the heart switch in time...

ahydra

#9 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-24, 11:01

I was doing some playing around with Gib trying to come up with a hand which lets us make it. The best I can come up with is North having QJTxx Qxx Qxx xx. We duck the diamond lead and win the second. We then duck a heart. Win the second heart. Cash 2 clubs ending in hand and ruff a heart. Now another club is played and North has to decide what to do with QJTxx x. If he discards, we will be up to 6 tricks and can eventually endplay him in trumps for the 9th after playing a 4th club, so lets assume he ruffs.

If he leads the last diamond, we throw a club from dummy and ruff in hand, and then play more clubs, If North ruffs high, we underruff to endplay him, and if he ruffs low, we can overruff cheaply for the 7th trick with the top 2 spades to come.
If on the other hand, he leads a high spade, we win in hand and play a small trump back, ducking if North splits honors. This will force him to lead another spade picking them up while retaining control or give a ruff+discard for a trump coup.

This is all very double dummy though (not to mention that club switches beat the contract i think)
Wayne Somerville

#10 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me

Posted 2012-April-24, 13:20

From f2f competition, yesterday. How would you play 3XX, as West, on Q lead?. If you test , they are 2-2

It is nigh impossible to find the winning line at the table in a pairs competition with the director breathing down your neck but you can make the contract on any lead,. John Matheson found the winning line in five minutes, at single-dummy. The successful play is similar to that suggested by mandude03: You win A and cash AK. both following. Assuming LHO has all five , you can claim as soon as LHO follows to the 2nd !
You cash A and exit in a red suit. The best opponents can do is cash a , a and exit in . You ruff in dummy and lead a for LHO to ruff. Now, whatever LHO does, he makes only one more trick.
If LHO leads a red suit, you discard a from dummy, ruff in hand. Then lead a , over-ruffing if he ruffs low but ducking if he ruffs with an honour.
If LHO leads a honour you win in hand, lead another , and duck if LHO plays an honour.

#11 User is offline   Statto 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, but not in conflation.
    Statistics, but not massaged by the media.

Posted 2012-April-29, 20:24

XX surely can't be to play. I will bid 4 as West B-)
A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem – Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users