BBO Discussion Forums: American - BBO Discussion Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

American Are Canadians and Mexicans American?

#21 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-April-21, 22:41

Yesterday I went through passport control in the US, and it was amusing to me that the very many multi-lingual signs used E.U. to mean the US in Spanish and French. Maybe this confusion has contributed to the recent European financial crises.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#22 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2012-April-22, 14:22

Vampyr, on 2012-April-21, 22:37, said:

So what? Central American countries are also in North America.

I would not claim the Wikipedia to be the unchallengeable word on this, but I decided to look it up. I found:

Central America (Spanish: América Central or Centroamérica) is the central geographic region of the Americas. It is the southernmost, isthmian portion of the North American continent, which connects with South America on the southeast.[3][4] When considered part of the unified continental model, it is considered a subcontinent. Central America consists of the seven states of Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, and Panama. Central America is part of the Mesoamerican biodiversity hotspot, which extends from northern Guatemala through central Panama.[5] It is bordered by Mexico to the north, the Caribbean Sea to the east, the North Pacific Ocean to the west, and Colombia to the south-east.

This agrees with my understanding, it agrees with the globe I have beside me, it agrees with my vision as I look at a map and think what portion would reasonably be called Central America.

I suppose that the demarcation has some degree of arbitrariness, so I suppose an argument can be made to divide things up differently.

Pluto is no longer a planet. OK by me. And if the geographers of the world decide Mexico is now to be in Central America I will cope. But I see no reason to decide on my own to place it there.
Ken

#23 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2012-April-22, 14:31

Are Canadians and Mexicans American?
It depends.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#24 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-April-22, 16:16

kenberg, on 2012-April-22, 14:22, said:

I would not claim the Wikipedia to be the unchallengeable word on this, but I decided to look it up. I found:

This agrees with my understanding, it agrees with the globe I have beside me, it agrees with my vision as I look at a map and think what portion would reasonably be called Central America.

I suppose that the demarcation has some degree of arbitrariness, so I suppose an argument can be made to divide things up differently.

Pluto is no longer a planet. OK by me. And if the geographers of the world decide Mexico is now to be in Central America I will cope. But I see no reason to decide on my own to place it there.

You quoted my post above, but I never claimed that Mexico was in Central America, just that being located in Central America also means being part of North America.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#25 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2012-April-22, 17:22

Fair enough. I had been talking about Mexico so I thought that context still applied. My error.
Ken

#26 User is offline   Gerben42 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Astronomy, Mathematics
    Nuclear power

Posted 2012-April-23, 10:18

gwnn, on 2012-April-22, 14:31, said:

It depends.

Csaba you sound like a politician. We are having early elections soon in Netherlands, perhaps you want to run for some office?
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck

#27 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2012-April-23, 22:04

Mexicans and Canadians are not Americans, just like folks from Brooklyn and Queens are not Long Islanders.

#28 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-23, 22:08

Bbradley62, on 2012-April-23, 22:04, said:

Mexicans and Canadians are not Americans, just like folks from Brooklyn and Queens are not Long Islanders.

I dont know why but something feels wrong here...not sure what..........

but then I am midwestern so who knows....

clearly canadians are not american but we all knew that.....

but I think we can be nice and kind and let Pamela Anderson in.....but we do need to set standards....

#29 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-April-23, 22:35

mike777, on 2012-April-23, 22:08, said:

but I think we can be nice and kind and let Pamela Anderson in.....but we do need to set standards....

She's an American now -- she became a naturalized citizen in 2004.

#30 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2012-April-24, 00:53

barmar, on 2012-April-23, 22:35, said:

She's an American now -- she became a naturalized citizen in 2004.

so you have set the standard........ can disagree with bbo?

Not that I do.

#31 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-24, 08:48

Bbradley62, on 2012-April-23, 22:04, said:

Canadians are not Americans

No kidding.

An exit poll of American tourists got the comment.... Canadians are so polite they say thank you to ATM machines.

A contest run by McLeans magazine asked us to fill in As American as Apple Pie = As Canadian as ? and the winner was "As possible under the circumstances".
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#32 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2012-April-24, 16:50

ggwhiz, on 2012-April-24, 08:48, said:

No kidding.

An exit poll of American tourists got the comment.... Canadians are so polite they say thank you to ATM machines.

A contest run by McLeans magazine asked us to fill in As American as Apple Pie = As Canadian as ? and the winner was "As possible under the circumstances".

Gets my vote!
Ken

#33 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2012-April-25, 05:13

The whole continent is called America so all its inhabitants are americanos. Some people refer to the not-English speakers as latinoamericanos or suramericanos (but the last one leaves out the Mexicans and to some extent the people from Central America). It's a matter of politics, I suppose. People from the left will claim we're americanos and call Americans gringos or estadounidenses. Unitedstatian, maybe you should adopt that word...

In fact it is something weird, as many countries are called officially the united states of XYZ. So in a way the US stole the name from all americanos. Probably this reinforces the idea that they think (or know?) that everything below the Rio Grande is just their backyard...

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#34 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-April-25, 06:32

Hanoi5, on 2012-April-25, 05:13, said:

In fact it is something weird, as many countries are called officially the united states of XYZ. So in a way the US stole the name from all americanos. Probably this reinforces the idea that they think (or know?) that everything below the Rio Grande is just their backyard...

Name ten such countries. B-)

As for "stealing" the name, not if we used it first. And regarding your last point above, I found this article interesting.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#35 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-25, 07:53

blackshoe, on 2012-April-25, 06:32, said:

Name ten such countries. B-)

Hmmm, I can't immediately think of that many. But without straying too far off the topic of this thread there are the United States of Mexico, for instance. And I seem to recall hearing that the United States of Brazil was the official name of that country at some point.

#36 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2012-April-25, 08:38

blackshoe, on 2012-April-25, 06:32, said:

Hanoi5, on 2012-April-25, 05:13, said:

In fact it is something weird, as many countries are called officially the united states of XYZ.
Name ten such countries.

Name 2.

#37 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-April-25, 08:51

WellSpyder, on 2012-April-25, 07:53, said:

Hmmm, I can't immediately think of that many. But without straying too far off the topic of this thread there are the United States of Mexico, for instance. And I seem to recall hearing that the United States of Brazil was the official name of that country at some point.

I don't know about "at some point", but Brazil is currently "officially the Federative Republic of Brazil", according to wikipedia. Mexico is "The United Mexican States", so I'll give you that one.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#38 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-25, 09:17

blackshoe, on 2012-April-25, 08:51, said:

I don't know about "at some point", but Brazil is currently "officially the Federative Republic of Brazil", according to wikipedia. Mexico is "The United Mexican States", so I'll give you that one.

Also according to wikipedia, Brazil was the republic of the United States of Brazil from 1889-1967 - my geography teacher at school must have been a bit out of date because I'm not (quite) old enough to have studied geography before 1967. And apparently Venezuela was the United States of Venezuela from the mid 19th to the mid 20th century. Seems to have been quite a common designation on the continent of america, but perhaps names have gradually been changed to avoid confusion with another country on the same continent which still uses the name United States....

#39 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-April-25, 10:20

I suspect the reason for the designation is due to the history of colonization and consolidation in this hemisphere. Nations were formed by uniting numerous former colonies: the colonies become states, and the nations were referred to as "united states of XXX", where XXX is the name they've given to themselves as a group. The USA managed to usurp the name of the continent simply because we did it first (about 35 years before the Mexican War of Independence). Plus, I have a feeling that the colonies that became the USA were formerly known as "American colonies".

#40 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2012-April-25, 12:31

PassedOut, on 2012-April-21, 17:52, said:

Yes, it is often a mistake to assume that words have the same meaning across languages.

Anyone who is a fan of Top Gear (the original UK series) will recall the hilarious Albania trip: one of their all time bests. Two of the terms they customarily use in their discussions of the merits of cars were, in Albanian, words for genitalia.

Btw, if you haven't ever watched the UK version of Top Gear, and have any interest at all in cars, this has to be the best show ever....while it rarely gives you any practical advice (unless you are having to choose which supercar you want to own....the show is often extremely funny because they spend a lot of time doing silly contests and challenges.

I once saw a US version, and it wasn't funny and it wasn't informative....it was awful.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users