• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-April-18, 04:44

The dream scenario for 2 is partner rebidding 2 like this one:

1-2
2-2
xx-4

xx is a pattern out bid that allows s to jump to 4 to show shortage. This would happen when partner is 5143 (3) or 5242 (2NT), and we will ask partner to avaluate his diamond holding opposite singleton.

if instead of 2NT/3 he bids 3 we know he is 5-5 and that our 4th trump is golden. We pinpoint a heart problem bidding 4 now, we are on the right track again.

if he bids 3 (5341) o 3 (6-4) we are not specially and might need to end up guessing.

#62 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-18, 05:17

View Postthe hog, on 2012-April-17, 18:20, said:

No, I only read those posters i deem worthy of being read.

No problem. I just wanted to know whether any future posts of yours would be considered and worth reading or just echoes of what had been said already. I guess now I know.
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#63 User is offline   Flem72 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-April-18, 07:05

View PostCSGibson, on 2012-April-18, 01:01, said:

See reply #12

Hah!! Very intelligent comment, dontcha think?

#64 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-18, 08:14

Playing OP/Standard methods I would prefer to involve partner while showing a potential trick source by starting with 2. Yes it can be a serious disadvantage sometimes later in the auction that partner does not know about the 4th spade but it is probably an even bigger disadvantage never to describe anything about our shape on these types of hands.

As Don alluded to I have an alternative way of involving partner on hands of this type by using a 2NT response to a 1 opening as a multi-way bid which includes splinters too strong for a direct splinter, roughly 16-19 support points. So with my methods I would respond 2NT. Assuming partner relayed (not essential but most common) the rebid would be 4 showing exactly one diamond, 4+ spades and the aforementioned strength (ie ~13-16 hcp).

Naturally this approach means giving up on 2NT as Jacoby for which I use 3 instead. Ideally a system could have all 3 methods available for fine-tuning between these common hand types.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users