• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1S-1N, 2m-2H

#1 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-April-16, 12:02

Doubt anyone else can use this, but looking for input on our continuations here.

Our 1S is 10-15 with 5+.

We play 1S-2D is 5+H GI or 6+ minimual responding to GI

That means 1S-1N, 2m-2H is available for something other than hearts. We've played it so far as a good raise of the minor. Kind of like 1H-1N, 2m-2S.

But I think we can get more out of this bid. I'd like to be able to stop in 2S.

So, should it show a GI of spades or the minor? or both? how might we continue?

Or, should it be a puppet to 2S...then responder bids again?

This way it could go...

1S-1N, 2m-2S as invitational 2-fit
1S-1N, 2m-3m as invitational
1S-1N, 2H-2S, P as constructive 2-fit
1S-1N, 2H-2S, 3m as lighter invitational

#2 User is offline   wclass___ 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-April-16, 12:56

You don't have answers for my questions, but you seem to like awm's response to my post.

View Postawm, on 2012-January-20, 17:07, said:

Presumably he responds 1nt to the opening if he has five hearts and less than invite. This might miss a 5-3 fit if opener is 53(32) and it goes 1s-1n-pass but there are other times 1nt is best, and if it goes 1s-1n-2m-2h partner will know hearts are just five long and remove with 0-1h.

View Poststraube, on 2012-January-20, 18:09, said:

Hadn't even thought of that, but that's a really nice plus to playing this way.

I've looked at just a few hands, but I'm noticing a significantly higher use of 2C, 2D, and 2H compared to 2/1 GF. Also, so many of our auctions go 1S-4S now that we would otherwise use 2/1s significantly less than standard systems.

Seeking input from anyone who doesn't frequently "wtp", "Lol" or post to merely "Agree with ..." --sathyab

#3 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-16, 13:07

What were your questions?

#4 User is offline   wclass___ 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-16, 13:52

Your scheme featured 1-2-2 as ''other, misfitting'' and 2 as ''6 spades, most strengths''. I claimed that some other method is better on which you gave single argument that you would ''rather chance a 6-0 than a 5-0.'' On which I asked what you do with 50-1 over partners 2 = ''other, misfitting''. Then from what I understand from your argument and awm's response is that you never pass 2 with 5 and commit yourself to 3rd level.

Didn't feel necessity to contribute more to that thread.

So It feels to me like there should be a way to show 5 and stop in 2nd level ....so answer to OP lies in awm's response.
Seeking input from anyone who doesn't frequently "wtp", "Lol" or post to merely "Agree with ..." --sathyab

#5 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-16, 14:01

I see. Yes, we only respond 2D with 6 hearts or with 5 hearts planning a rebid. If responder has 5 hearts and 0/1/2 spades and less than GI values, he has to respond 1N (semiforcing). So after 1S-2D, 2H-P responder is known to have 6 hearts.

I'm sorry that I didn't respond to your question at the time. I don't recollect if it was oversight or whether I thought awm answered your question for me.

#6 User is offline   akhare 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-16, 15:55

View Poststraube, on 2012-April-16, 12:02, said:

But I think we can get more out of this bid. I'd like to be able to stop in 2S.

So, should it show a GI of spades or the minor? or both? how might we continue?

This way it could go...

If one of the objectives is to stop in 2, how would the puppet be able to accomplish that *and* show an invitational hand with 2 spades?

So, it's probably more of a relay to 2 than a puppet and opener ostensibly bids it with a hand that would reject an invitation with 2 card support or bids something else otherwise, right?
foobar on BBO

#7 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-16, 18:53

View Postakhare, on 2012-April-16, 15:55, said:

If one of the objectives is to stop in 2, how would the puppet be able to accomplish that *and* show an invitational hand with 2 spades?

So, it's probably more of a relay to 2 than a puppet and opener ostensibly bids it with a hand that would reject an invitation with 2 card support or bids something else otherwise, right?

Well, I'd been thinking that the puppet would generally announce a weaker hand. Opener would accept the puppet unless he would bid over a 2S preference...I.e. showing a bigger hand.

So 1S-1N, 2C-2S would show invitational strength with 2 spades.
1S-1N, 2C-3C would show invitational strength and fit
1S-1N, 2C-2H, 2S-3C would show a light invite of clubs

I'm not married to this, but I'd like to be able to play 2S with both invitational and weak preference hands. This is one way. Perhaps there are others.

#8 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-16, 19:08

wclass, yeah, we've talked about 1S-1N, 2m-2H showing five hearts. For instance if responder has 1525 we'll be very stuck if opener has shown side diamonds. I think I had looked at a few hands and felt that the misfit hands weren't frequent enough. Maybe I should look at a few more. I would think that responder would only want to show hearts with fewer than 2 spades and fewer than 3 of opener's minor and less than GI strength. That lets opener rescue with six spades (2S) or bail in 2N with a known misfit...not the best contract but hopefully better than a 5-1 major suit fit.

#9 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-18, 03:32

One thing you have not told us here that I think is relevant is whether the 2m rebid is 3+ or 4+. If 3+ then it makes sense to me for 2 to show this hand. So

1 - 1NT; 2m - 2 = good raise of m or invitational with om
=================
2 = min, 5(23)3 (effectively a choice of part-score)
2NT = asks for hand type (3m = nat with min, 3 = clubs, max, 3 = diamonds, max)
3 = p/c
3 = invite for diamonds, GF for clubs

If 2m promises 4 then you could use the same structure but now 2 can show a minimum opening with 6 spades. This kind of structure is probably very familiar to you if you play something like Muiderberg, therefore easy to remember. Of course you have to decide whether using 2 naturally is worth more to you - if you were to do so then you might also consider taking the weak variant out of the 2 response altogether leaving it as INV+.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#10 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-18, 07:32

View PostZelandakh, on 2012-April-18, 03:32, said:

One thing you have not told us here that I think is relevant is whether the 2m rebid is 3+ or 4+. If 3+ then it makes sense to me for 2 to show this hand. So

1 - 1NT; 2m - 2 = good raise of m or invitational with om
=================
2 = min, 5(23)3 (effectively a choice of part-score)
2NT = asks for hand type (3m = nat with min, 3 = clubs, max, 3 = diamonds, max)
3 = p/c
3 = invite for diamonds, GF for clubs

If 2m promises 4 then you could use the same structure but now 2 can show a minimum opening with 6 spades. This kind of structure is probably very familiar to you if you play something like Muiderberg, therefore easy to remember. Of course you have to decide whether using 2 naturally is worth more to you - if you were to do so then you might also consider taking the weak variant out of the 2 response altogether leaving it as INV+.

Our 1N is semi forcing so we like to show the long weak heart hand immediately. Opener's 2m rebid promises 4....even after an 1 H opening. Also, 1M-3C and 1S-3D are weak jump shifts so responder can show invitational om by bidding 3m on his rebid so no need to use 2H for this. Sorry not to have explained more. Thanks for your help.

#11 User is offline   rbforster 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-21, 22:05

If you played 1N as forcing, you could play to 2H as an art GF, since with just a 1M-2C GF relay you may have some hands/questions that can't be well managed. Harder to put in really good hands when they get. Passed out in 1N

#12 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-21, 23:33

Yeah. We've strained to make 1N semiforcing, We've got rid of the heart hands and the limit raise hands, too. It's true that 1M-2C doesn't let responder show his own shapely hand, but more often it makes sense for opener to complete his description.

#13 User is offline   rbforster 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-22, 07:20

David - can you comment a little more on the inferences on opener's 2m rebid in your system? For example, what hands would rebid 2M in preference to showing a 4m suit? Is that how you bid a minimum 6-4? What about your 2M openers? Are those available for a weak 6M hand that might overlap with the low end of your 10-15 1M range?

I ask about this because if you are thinking about showing an invite vs constructive 2 card preference to 2, it would seem to matter what value range opener could have when he was in fact holding a 6M suit and you might have a real fit. Otherwise, if that's not possible or likely, you're more just judging whether to play 2M on a misfit vs 2N.

Another question - do you play any BART or similar over 1 - 1N - 2, or is 2 there just natural NF? You can fit in all sorts of stuff in the space there if you give up stopping in exactly 2.

#14 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-22, 10:04

View Postrbforster, on 2012-April-22, 07:20, said:

David - can you comment a little more on the inferences on opener's 2m rebid in your system? For example, what hands would rebid 2M in preference to showing a 4m suit? Is that how you bid a minimum 6-4? What about your 2M openers? Are those available for a weak 6M hand that might overlap with the low end of your 10-15 1M range?

I ask about this because if you are thinking about showing an invite vs constructive 2 card preference to 2, it would seem to matter what value range opener could have when he was in fact holding a 6M suit and you might have a real fit. Otherwise, if that's not possible or likely, you're more just judging whether to play 2M on a misfit vs 2N.

Another question - do you play any BART or similar over 1 - 1N - 2, or is 2 there just natural NF? You can fit in all sorts of stuff in the space there if you give up stopping in exactly 2.

Sure thing. Rebid of 2m promises four+ always. With a very weak 6/4, we'd rebid 2M instead of the minor...that means that 1S-1N, 2m-2N-3S is forcing. Our 2M opener is 5-9. I would rather 7-11 to have the overlap you're talking about, but partner prefers the lighter range. So 1S-1N, 2S is 10-15 (although many 15s are opened 1C).

We don't play BART. We like to be able to sign off in 2D plus we have enough stuff to memorize :)

So we still have 1S-1N, 2m-2H available. We can use it for the 1525 misfits, but it's also nice to be able to raise partner's minor lightly and invitationally, etc.

I'm still kind of thinking of 2H as a puppet...partner would ordinarily accept unless he had a hand that would bid over a 2S sign off. That way 1S-1N, 2m-2S shows tolerance and invitational strength and we don't have to play 2N. And we get both our minor raises.

Let me know if you have any more questions or arrive at something better. Thanks for being interested.

#15 User is offline   wclass___ 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-22, 12:48

Out of curiosity:
x AQTxx J8xx Axx Is this 2? If so, then how do you bid over partners 2/2?
xx KQJxx KTxx xx How do you aim to handle this?

#16 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-22, 13:00

View Postwclass___, on 2012-April-22, 12:48, said:

Out of curiosity:
x AQTxx J8xx Axx Is this 2? If so, then how do you bid over partners 2/2?
xx KQJxx KTxx xx How do you aim to handle this?

let's say that the first hand qualifies as invitational (usually 12-13 for us because we open many 10 counts). We would respond 2D and then rebid 2N over partner's 2M rebid.

The second hand would respond 1N and pass a 2D rebid or correct to a 2S contract after a 2C rebid. So fairly standard here except that we will know if partner's minor is four cards in length. We're deciding now whether to use 1S-1N, 2m-2H as a puppet to 2S.

#17 User is offline   rbforster 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-23, 10:50

View Poststraube, on 2012-April-16, 12:02, said:

This way it could go...

This is ok, but I think you may want to reverse it, i.e. 2 shows the better hands and direct bids show the worse ones. This is because you'd like opener to be able to make some descriptive bid sometimes instead of just 2 (when he has a pretty good hand), but you want this to be relatively safe and you have more space if you do it before responder preempts you by bidding 2N or 3m.

For these purposes, and for what I've tried to do in my methods, I divide up the opener's hands into 3 ranges - min, mid, and max corresponding to 10-11/12-13/14-15 approximately. The idea would be that if 2 showed an invite opposite a mid range hand or better (strong invite), then opener with an acceptance could now make various forward-going bids instead of 2 to help clarify strain, etc. On the other hand, direct bids would be lighter invites and tend to invite only opposite a maximum hand by opener.

1-1N-2- ?

2H art generally stronger invite (~12-13ish typically, could be balanced 10-11 with doubleton major tho)
....2S any min opener (responder passes or corrects to 2N/3m as appropriate)
....2N mid, catchall (responder will bid on unless holding the 10-11 balanced hand)
....3C max, catchall (could have club fragment, or semi balanced with concern about NT stoppers)
....3D mid, 5+/5+ (NF opposite the weaker responding hand only)
....3H max, fragment 5341
....3S max, 6-4
....3N max, 5242 with cards in the short suits
2S weak preference
2N sound invite (~12-13), but 0-1 spades (bid 2H with doubleton and good values instead)
3C light invite with a good suit
3D light raise

I'm assuming you'll make a precision jump rebid by opener with some distributional maximums, so some of those aren't accounted for above. I also tried to arrange the bids so you could make a light NT invite, but still get out in 2M opposite a bad hand or 2N opposite a medium hand that wasn't accepting.

What do you think?

#18 User is offline   rbforster 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-23, 10:57

View Poststraube, on 2012-April-22, 10:04, said:

We don't play BART. We like to be able to sign off in 2D plus we have enough stuff to memorize :)

Here's a nice writeup called Anti-BART by Josh Sher that you may find useful if you change your mind :).

#19 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-23, 12:55

Your scheme works well.

You have given me an idea based on separating into three ranges.

1S-1N, 2m-

2H-suggests 2S unless very maximum
2S-
P-7-9' doubleton
2N-15(52) misfit
3m-light invite
2S-2 spades and 10-11
2N-12-13, 0-2 spades
3m-good invite

#20 User is offline   rbforster 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-23, 13:12

View Poststraube, on 2012-April-23, 12:55, said:

Your scheme works well.

You have given me an idea based on separating into three ranges.

1S-1N, 2m-

2H-suggests 2S unless very maximum
..... 2S-
.......... P-7-9' doubleton
.......... 2N-15(52) misfit
.......... 3m-light invite
2S-2 spades and 10-11
2N-12-13, 0-2 spades
3m-good invite

Was there something you didn't like about my version? It seems a bit more comprehensive than this one. In particular, note that you don't need to show 0-1 vs 2 spades when opener has a min (since he won't have a 6-4 min and rebid 2m), but you do want to be able to find the 6-2 fit opposite a medium strength opener.

Another question you should answer for yourself is how you bid maximum hands with 6(332) shape. Are you willing to jump to 3M with only a 6 card suit (possibly a poor one) and no shortness? I don't like to. If not, what does this mean for your 1M-1N-2M rebid? Is it really everything from a 10 hcp 6 bagger to a 6-4 15 count? I know some people who will bid 2 with a max 6(322), possibly on only 2 clubs, and plan to raise a 2 preference later. I haven't thought through this entirely, but there's certainly an issue that the 2M rebid has a wide range even in Precision (and an even wider range in std).

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users