• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1S-1N, 2m-2H

#21 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-April-23, 14:49

Yeah, we're forced with 6322 to decide between 2S and 3S. We usually take the low road. I've argued for 2M to be 7-11 so that 1M-1N, 2M is 12-15. OTOH, many of our 15 counts open 1C so rebidding the major is usually 10-14.

As far as your structure, My concerns are that...

1S-1N, 2m-2S is likely a dead end. That represents sequence loss. I'd rather 2S was forward-going and showing something useful.

One other thing is ease of memorization....like the mid or max temporizing bids.

The last thing is it might be useful to be able to sign off in 2N with a misfit. The structure I came up with makes 1S-1N, 2m-2N ambiguous as to number of spades but partner with a medium/max 6/4 can check back. Your structure clarifies whether responder (with 12-13 hcps) has 0-1 or 2 spades, but this is unnecessary for us...because opener cannot have minimum 6/4

What do you think of my last? Where does it lose?btw, traveling with partner but he's driving so hecan'tlook at both, but I'll have him do so.

#22 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-23, 18:18

I think a better example would be...

1S-1N, 2m-2H, 2N-P and we could have opener with a 6/4 12 count and responder with a 10 pt 2-fit.

Foobar likes your approach better so we'll have to debate it.

#23 User is offline   rbforster 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-23, 19:50

Here are some non-game-going cases to consider to help compare the two methods. (GF values should be able to work out the right strain either way)

Opener....Responder.....Your Auction.....My Auction......Comments
Max.........preference......2H-not 2S.........2S-P............... I think you can get too high trying to pre accept over a preference sign off
Max.........inv- <2M...........2N-> 3N/4M......2S-P................if opener can't make a jump rebid, we take the low road here on a misfit. Could miss 3N if the tricks are there.
Mid..........inv- 2M...........2H-2S-2N.........2H-2N..............same, we both could miss a 6-2 partial (* see edit)
Mid..........inv- <2M.........2H-2S-2N.........2S-P................I take the low road, hoping to scramble to more trump tricks rather than trying 2N on 22-24 hcp misfit
Min..........inv- 2M...........2S-P.................2H-2S-P..........same
Min..........inv- <2M.........2H-2S-2N.........2S-P...............nothing is great, but I think I'd rather play 2M than 2N on 20-22 hcp misfit
Min..........inv+ 2M..........2N-P..................2H-2S-P.........here I think with a 5-2 fit, 2M is probably better than 2N
Min..........inv+ <2M........2N-P..................2H-2S-2N.......same

In short, I am a bit more pessimistic in general, and specifically we get to play 2M over 2N on some weaker misfits which I think is a win. I can miss some games, but you have to play a level higher on some busted invites.

Edit: I think I can pick up the 6-2 partials for Mid-vs-(light Inv with 2M) in my methods by having the 2H-3S bid show 6-4 Mid instead of 6-4 Max and shuffle the Max hands around a little. This way we play 3S instead of 2N on the declined invite, which should be an improvement.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users