#1 User is offline   jmcw 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-April-13, 09:19

MATCHPOINTS your call?

#2 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2012-April-13, 09:32

Yes if it is right, no if it is wrong.

This is a pure guess.

#3 User is offline   pooltuna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-13, 09:35

I think you can probably apply LOTT here so I would not
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw

#4 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2012-April-13, 09:41

View Postjmcw, on 2012-April-13, 09:19, said:

MATCHPOINTS your call?

I am not really good at mps, so I will be interested in hearing from those who are.

I know that at the table I would pass...I almost never compete to the 3-level without either a known 6 card fit or extra shape, and I have neither here.

Otoh, this is the best vulnerability for bidding on.

If we were going to take action, maybe the correct call is double....but I think that this is the wrong shape...I have too many spades....I think a classic double would be 2=3=4=4, with 8-9 hcp.

As I said, I think this is a weak part of my game and I await others' input with interest.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#5 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2012-April-13, 09:42

x as a balanced maximum springs to mind.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#6 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-April-13, 09:44

I pass. This isn't really a guess, but these decisions do not always work out for the good guys.

We are flat, and we have a poor offensive to defensive ratio. Partner should compete with spade shortness and/or a 6th heart. I don't like to think in these terms, but it looks like 15 or 16 trump and my hand type usually ends up in a slight deduction, so I would estimate 15 tricks around the table. if you bid 3, you are really hoping for no x or to hear a 3 call.

Bidding looks like a way to turn a plus into a minus. Doubling looks very bad too. Even if I nick it one after a stressful ten minutes, it doesn't protect against our presumed +110.

I have sucked at MPs the last month so I'm not the right person to ask.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#7 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2012-April-13, 09:49

View Postpooltuna, on 2012-April-13, 09:35, said:

I think you can probably apply LOTT here so I would not

Actually, this is one of those auctions where applying the LOTT is impossible.

If we have an 8-card fit and the opponents are playing in a 7-card fit, then we should pass if the LOTT is right. Our cards do not really tell us whether there are good adjustments to doubt the LOTT though.

If the opponents have found an 8-card fit, then there are 16 total tricks available. If they make 2, we will go set one trick in 3, and -100 or -50 (not sure what the vulnerability is) beats -110. If they go set, we make 3, and +140 beats +50 or +100 (again, do not know the vulnerability).

If they have landed on a 9-card fit, then someone is making three. If they are, we go set one, which beats -140. If we are, +140 surely beats -110.

If you had to guess, then it seems like two out of three scenarios favor bidding. But, the three scenarios are not equal. The question seems to be whether the 16-TT layouts are morte common than the 16-TT or 17-TT layouts, with the adjustment possibilities that the 16-TT or 17-TT is off one or two, the converse adjustment that the 15-TT is off in the other direction, and the possible charge for either defensive or declarer error. For that matter, you also have to add in the scenarios where 3 is down two but not doubled (if we are NV), the scenarios where the opponents guess that we have a 9-fit and therefore compete to 3, assuming a 17-TT layout, and the like.

This, of course, illustrates why the LOTT has dubious application without sufficient knowledge of THEIR suit length.

The flip-side of all of this, however, is that partner, even with a 5-card heart suit, will be thinking along these same lines, knowing already that you have the 8-fit and that the 8-fit merits competition purely on the possible 16-TT layouts. So, with a stiff or void in spades, he might assume a fair likelihood that 3 is his winning call, which tends to increase the number of spades in his hand.

Given all of this, the problem is far more substantial than a LOTT analysis can resolve.

EDIT: If this is white on white, as I now think it to be, I would absolutely bid 3. Other than the above, the other reason is that a white-on-white auction like this will be common, and the field will often compete to 3. Of course, the answers so far suggest that I am wrong in that last point, but I stick with my call because I believe the odds now heavily tilted toward bidding.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#8 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-13, 09:50

If I think my opps are better than me I pass. If I think they are worse I bid. A practical solution.
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#9 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-April-13, 09:57

We know partner didn't bid 3H, which she would with shape or a 6th heart. We know we are smack in the middle of our 6-flat 10 range for the raise; or if the raise was constuctive, we are smack at the bottom of its offensive potential.

What we don't know is why we should consider bidding again or why we think the opponents have found a spade fit.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#10 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-13, 12:43

@ Ken : We know they do not have 9 card fit or pd would raise to 3. We know we have only 8 card . Yes, they may have 8 card fit but then again you have a negative adjustment due to 3433 shape and no spots. So they have at best 8 card fit and neg adjustments, or they have 7 or even 6 card fit. So if you use LOTT it is clear to pass.

If you dont use LOTT but your experience, you would have passed it by now anyway.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#11 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2012-April-13, 14:25

At IMPs, it is important to contest for partscores when the hands are right. If you can push the opponents up a level and set the contract while your partners are making 1 level lower, you'll get some tidy 6-7 IMP swings that are crucial to good IMP performance. And occasionally, you will steal a partscore contract while partners are also making one.

However, your willingness to compete has to be tempered by whether your hand has values or features (shortness, extra trump, etc.) that are likely to be valuable if you go up another level. Those values/features help protect you against being set too badly.

If your values are non-descript as with this hand, then you are usually better off passing. Often hands like this one end up with the same result at both tables. Sometimes, you'll lose a small swing, but by passing you may eliminate putting a -300 or -500 on the table.

#12 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-April-13, 18:04

View Postmikeh, on 2012-April-13, 09:41, said:

I know that at the table I would pass...I almost never compete to the 3-level without either a known 6 card fit or extra shape, and I have neither here.

I am not certain 6 is enough.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#13 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-April-13, 18:07

View PostVampyr, on 2012-April-13, 18:04, said:

I am not certain 6 is enough.

Mike was standing on his head, while typing that.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#14 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-13, 23:59

View Postaguahombre, on 2012-April-13, 18:07, said:

Mike was standing on his head, while typing that.

:D
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#15 User is offline   frank0 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-April-14, 02:05

If you bid this hand which hand do you pass?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users