• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3NT Overcall

#1 User is offline   Toradin 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-April-08, 20:36

Hi all,

What should a 3NT overcall of a 2 level preempt typically show? And what would be the difference between a direct 3NT overcall and a double, followed by 3NT, assuming we play Lebensohl over takeout doubles? Over the weekend, I overcalled my opponent's 2 with 3NT in the direct seat on a 19 count 5341 hand, with AQT in hearts. This led to a poor result as we had a 10 card spade fit and was cold for both 6 and 6NT, and partner did not take action with his 10 count 5224 hand.

Thanks!

#2 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2012-April-08, 20:44

A 3NT overcall of a 2-level opening should show an expectation of making 9 tricks with at least one stopper in their suit.

A double followed by 3NT should show a balanced or semi-balanced powerhouse hand - about 21-22 HCP or even more - with at least one stopper in their suit. Double followed by 2NT should show about 19-20 HCP. Of course, if partner bids Lebensohl, this creates a bid of a problem, as 19-20 may be enough to make a game opposite partner's "weak" hand.

Having a 5 card major on the side is very unusual for a 3NT overcall. I would certainly not expect it if I were the 3NT overcaller's partner. Having said that, if I had a 10 count opposite a 3NT overcall of a 2 level opening bid, I doubt that I would pass. But I would have to see my hand.

#3 User is offline   fuburules3 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-April-08, 21:48

Obviously depends on agreements. One way to play it is that a direct 2NT is 15-18 balanced (with a stopper) and stronger balanced hands double first. A direct 3NT is then a hand with a source of tricks and a stopper and partner should not bid without slam interest.

#4 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2012-April-09, 02:10

A good distinction to make is that double followed by 3NT invites partner to pull i.e. it shows a strong balanced hand (how strong depends on whether you had room to double then bid 2NT as well), while a direct jump to 3NT is hoping to make it but is likely to have a long minor and isn't particularly interested in partner bidding a long side suit.

So with

AKx
AQx
KJ10x
AQx

I double a weak 2H opening then bid 3NT

but with

Ax
AQx
x
AKJxxxx

I overcall 3NT immediately