• Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-May-13, 02:55

KJ52
KJ
AJ984

MPs, Our side is vulnerable, but opponent's ain't

1-(2)-3-(4)
X*-(pass)-??

Double from partner was slow. Do you think pass is LA?

#2 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-13, 03:00

View PostFluffy, on 2012-May-13, 02:55, said:

Double from partner was slow. Do you think pass is LA?

Not in my world. We need to get +800 to make up for our game and this looks unlikely. On the other hand, it's hard to see that pass is suggested by the slow double.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#3 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-13, 03:08

View Postpaulg, on 2012-May-13, 03:00, said:

On the other hand, it's hard to see that pass is suggested by the slow double.

I'm not sure what you're saying here. It seems clear that bidding is suggested by the slow double.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#4 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-13, 03:11

No, in my world this is a forcing pass situation so double is penalties, but my trump holding indicates this is not likely to be a trump stack so at this vul you're unlikely to get enough. (and btw would have bid 4 instead of 3, now if partner Xs I do pass).

#5 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-13, 03:54

We don't have to be making 4. I think Pass is an LA.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#6 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-13, 04:38

4S every time for me. Wouldn't consider pass at this vul (but would do at equal/fav).

ahydra

#7 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2012-May-13, 04:54

View Postpaulg, on 2012-May-13, 03:00, said:

On the other hand, it's hard to see that pass is suggested by the slow double.

View Postgordontd, on 2012-May-13, 03:08, said:

I'm not sure what you're saying here. It seems clear that bidding is suggested by the slow double.

So far we have (presumably) shown a 3- or 4-card limit raise to three spades and now partner has doubled them in a non-forcing pass situation. But I have a full-blooded raise to game and I think my options are to bid four spades or to consider a slam try and, for me, passing is not in the equation at this vulnerability.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#8 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-13, 05:03

It's matchpoints, so any time 4 is not making it would be right to pass 4x. That may not be a large amount of the time, but I would have thought it would be often enough to make it an LA (given that partner has doubled), and would render the question irrelevant of whether we can get +800 from defending.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#9 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-May-13, 05:24

View Postpaulg, on 2012-May-13, 04:54, said:

So far we have (presumably) shown a 3- or 4-card limit raise to three spades and now partner has doubled them in a non-forcing pass situation. But I have a full-blooded raise to game and I think my options are to bid four spades or to consider a slam try and, for me, passing is not in the equation at this vulnerability.

OK, we need to know what 2N would have meant, and hence what 3 showed to know whether it's a FP situation.

#10 User is offline   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-13, 06:05

I think you should take twice as much time as he did and bid 4S. I do not see what UI has to do with this problem.

#11 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-May-13, 06:43

If 3H was invite+, we have the +. Invites don't create forcing passes for us. The Double was Pard's opinion if I had invite only; pass is an illogical alternative.

The B.I.T., for whatever reason, does not make pass logical; but, 4S is so obvious anyway that it doesn't matter what UI is deemed to have been conveyed.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#12 User is offline   AlexJonson 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-May-13, 06:45

Making +500 against +620 most of the time can't be good pairs play. I would expect a near unanimous 4S.

#13 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-13, 13:14

View Postmcphee, on 2012-May-13, 06:05, said:

I think you should take twice as much time as he did and bid 4S. I do not see what UI has to do with this problem.

Even if you think there is no Logical Alternative to bidding 4 (as pretty much everyone except me seems to think), you ought to be able to see that the slow double provides UI expressing doubt that 4x should be the final contract.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#14 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-May-13, 13:20

View Postgordontd, on 2012-May-13, 13:14, said:

Even if you think there is no Logical Alternative to bidding 4 (as pretty much everyone except me seems to think), you ought to be able to see that the slow double provides UI expressing doubt that 4x should be the final contract.

Yes, that would be a problem if we didn't have a game-force responding hand. If we had a mere invite, there would be no acceptable L.A. to passing the slow double.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#15 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-13, 13:21

It seems no-one else thinks Pass is an LA, as far as I can see because we have a GF raise and have thus far only shown a Limit Raise or better.

Fair enough, but everyone seems to be bidding game because that's what they would have done anyway; no-one seems to be pausing and taking stock in the light of partner's double which ought, to my mind, to be making me more reluctant to bid on.

Yes I have a fourth trump and some extra values, but I don't have a shortage and I do have two high cards in their suit.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#16 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2012-May-13, 13:44

It is definetely not a L.A for me to pass for various reasons.

-Its MP and the colours make it hard for pass to be profitable.

-Knowing that % 99 of the field will play this hand 4 if pd has an opener and taking a different action in this position rather than 4 is a huge risk. We will contrast ourselves definetely from the majority of the field.

-Most importantly, slow or not, what did pd say with his DBL ? Assuming 3 was invitation or better, he says " if you have an invitation hand i rather play 4 doubled than playing 4" But i have more than an invitation hand and the weakest side of my hand KJ doubleton seems more like a sure trick to me after overcall on my right.

-When i started 3 i was planning to bid 4 later, the reason i didnt do that at the first place was i didnt wanna rule out slam incase pd had a big hand, he says he doesnt, so i will play my game. Even the fastest DBL on earth, would not have changed my mind.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#17 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-May-13, 14:07

Partner is probably just doubling to protect our +140, with something like Qxxxx xx Kxx AKJ, so I think 4 is normal.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#18 User is offline   Statto 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, but not in conflation.
    Statistics, but not massaged by the media.

Posted 2012-May-13, 21:01

4 looks normal at this vul.
A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem – Albert Einstein

#19 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2012-May-14, 21:46

Partner could have passed in tempo and you would have bid 4 as you have an opener. 4 is the normal bid with this hand. Anything else you do including pass might be interpreted as LA.

#20 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-May-15, 02:11

View Postrmnka447, on 2012-May-14, 21:46, said:

Partner could have passed in tempo and you would have bid 4 as you have an opener. 4 is the normal bid with this hand.

"Doing what you would have done anyway is not the answer, though there is a popular misconception that it is.

Anything else you do including pass might be interpreted as LA.

Not sure what you mean by this, but the question is whether pass is an LA. Mainly this matters when you don't pass.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users