Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

News scroll on WBF Laws web page

#1 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-April-05, 08:34

This may be a bit off-topic, but it seemed like the closest fit. It's not about the content of the Laws, but the presentation.

I'm sure most of us consult the WBF Laws web site frequently when participating in these forums: http://www.worldbrid...ternational.asp

I just sent an email to the webmaster asking for a way to stop that stupid scrolling news box in the top right corner. It's extremely distracting when you're trying to read the Laws. I'd like to encourage others to complain as well.

My workaround is to move the window over to the right of the screen, so that the right sidebar is off the screen; nothing in that column is important (the rest of the column is just links to other web sites). But it's a PITA having to do this all the time. It also makes the scroll bar inaccessible, but I have a scroll wheel on my mouse for that.

#2 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-April-05, 12:35

I notice that if you set your browser to disallow Javas**t (script, obviously. What did you think I meant?) that none of that shows up, but the Laws page works just fine still.

I have mentioned frequently that if it moves, it dies - at least on my screen. This is step 1 for me.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#3 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-April-05, 14:26

Too many web sites depend on Javascript these days to make it feasible to disable it globally.

But I just figured out that Chrome allows me to enable it by default, and disable it on specific sites (or vice versa). So I added a block for www.worldbridge.org. Thanks for the idea.

#4 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-April-05, 16:43

oh, not globally - NoScript is my friend. I work the opposite to Chrome - it's disabled on all sites except the ones I decide to let in. So I get to choose when the page doesn't work right.

It's not a suggestion I'd give everybody, because it requires you to be computer savvy enough to know "this must be something that only works with Javascript, better turn it on" and a decent idea on which sites don't ever need to be turned on (you know, things like F***book and T***ter and G--. No, I don't have "social media" accounts, for privacy (among many other) reasons. Why do you ask?)
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#5 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-April-06, 09:37

I got a response from the webmaster, saying that putting the mouse over the news box stops the scrolling. But it's only temporary -- as soon as the mouse moves out of the box (e.g. to link to a different law) it starts going again.

While there are these workarounds, I still think they should just get rid of it, and encourage others to complain.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users