Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Partner on another planet?

#1 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2012-April-03, 16:14

This was the rather unusual scenario that occurred tonight.

On the previous board, South had opened 2C, which was explained as 20+ HCP any shape. On this hand, North had not noticed the 1H opening bid, and as a result gave the same explanation.

East led a club, then when dummy was put down, the director was called. He tells you to play the hand out and to call him back.

Table result was 3D X -2, EW +500.

Any thoughts?

Edit: EBU land if it matters.

#2 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-03, 16:22

I call him back.

#3 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-03, 16:28

A cue bid followed by a new suit is forcing for just about everyone isn't it? Unless they have the specific agreement that it is not, 3NT is certainly a logical alternative to passing 3. It's not 100% clear that pass is suggested by the UI, but it probably is because they haven't started doubling yet and partner could be preparing to launch us into the stratosphere.

#4 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2012-April-03, 18:03

I am not sure that everyone plays a cue-bid followed by a new suit as forcing. I have found some strange [to me, anyway] agreements over these cue-bids.

Basically, while the first instinct is to disallow the pass over 3, I think we need a bit of investigation of the system. One question I would ask is "Why did you pass 3?" which might get a helpful answer - helpful to the TD that is, not to the person giving the answer.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#5 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-04, 01:28

View Postmr1303, on 2012-April-03, 16:14, said:

Interesting start to a thread entitled "Partner on another planet?" You must choose your partners well if it is unusual for their brains apparently to be located elsewhere :) .

#6 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-04, 03:02

View Postmr1303, on 2012-April-03, 16:14, said:

On the previous board, South had opened 2C, which was explained as 20+ HCP any shape. On this hand, North had not noticed the 1H opening bid, and as a result gave the same explanation.

East led a club, then when dummy was put down, the director was called. He tells you to play the hand out and to call him back.

Table result was 3D X -2, EW +500.

Any thoughts?

Edit: EBU land if it matters.

Law 20F5 said:

(a) A player whose partner has given a mistaken explanation may not correct the error during the auction, nor may he indicate in any manner that a mistake has been made. ‘Mistaken explanation’ here includes failure to alert or announce as regulations require or an alert (or an announcement) that regulations do not require.

(b) The player must call the Director and inform his opponents that, in his opinion, his partner’s explanation was erroneous (see Law 75) but only at his first legal opportunity, which is
(i) for a defender, at the end of the play.
(ii) for declarer or dummy, after the final pass of the auction.

Did South call the Director (after the final pass and before the opening lead) as he was required to do?

#7 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2012-April-04, 03:33

No, East and West called the director simultaneously as soon as the dummy went down.

When the director came over, South kept saying that it was obvious that he didn't have 20+ HCP and that EW were trying to get the maximum result possible when they were already due to get a good score.

#8 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-04, 08:11

I'm throwing South under the bus for clearly using UI and having the gall to suggest that it's ok since his houdini act failed to escape.

I would have listened to a bridge reason for passing 3 before rejecting it but this statement shows evil intent.

"South kept saying that it was obvious that he didn't have 20+ HCP and that EW were trying to get the maximum result possible when they were already due to get a good score."

[edit] ps., Who ever asks the meaning of a 2 overcall in an auction like this? If the question was asked after the pass of 3 you can disregard all of the above and South is a free agent.

Not exactly a trifling fact not disclosed in the OP.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users