• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Expert level in BBO many experts in BBO

#1 User is offline   hadzhiev 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-April-02, 22:56

Hello Dear Sir's/Madam's,.
So my name is Aleksandar Hadzhiev from Bulgaria - my nickname is Hadzhiev.

So,I write you ,because many peoples in BBO have a profil "EXPERT",but they have played like a novice ...
and many people are annoyed from that cases.
1. I have a proposal - if someone wants to get into your account at Eskpert , receive "ОК" a minimum of 5 Star regardless of nationality .
2. Level hidden - you only have stars or yellow in BBO

Thank you in advanced

HADZHIEV

#2 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-April-02, 23:01

This post is not about Expert-Class Bridge, so it doesn't belong in the Expert-Class Bridge forum.

View Posthadzhiev, on 2012-April-02, 22:56, said:

1. I have a proposal - if someone wants to get into your account at Eskpert , receive "ОК" a minimum of 5 Star regardless of nationality .

I don't understand this proposal.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#3 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-April-02, 23:26

Probably a suggestion for rating system.,

Alexander, this is a discussion that has been going on since forever. Click the link below to see what was discussed, various proposals and BBO's official position:

http://www.bridgebas...rating-players/

BBO does not have a rating system. Players are free to self-asses their level, but in time you learn who are the good players.

This post has been edited by uday: 2012-April-03, 06:50

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-03, 13:13

Welcome to the forums, hadhziev. I have moved your post to the General BBO Discussion forum; General Bridge Discussion is for topics that are not specific to BBO.

As Diana said, this is a frequent topic, and if you look through past threads you will see all the other discussions that have occurred.

#5 User is offline   nathan2008 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-April-19, 02:00

View Posthadzhiev, on 2012-April-02, 22:56, said:

Hello Dear Sir's/Madam's,.
So my name is Aleksandar Hadzhiev from Bulgaria - my nickname is Hadzhiev.

So,I write you ,because many peoples in BBO have a profil "EXPERT",but they have played like a novice ...
and many people are annoyed from that cases.
2. Level hidden - you only have stars or yellow in BBO

Do you know bbo masterpoints? I think a way to judge a player is to check their bbo masterpoints at first. Let us say, a player can put money and get 50+ bbo masterpoints are not a novice :). (50+ bbo points=level 5 or plus. If u are really tired of others and think u are "expert", i suggest u put some bbo$ and play acbl speedball or robot games, there are no "novice" i promise u :).

#6 User is offline   nathan2008 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-19, 02:06

Another thing is that on the real table, you never meet "novice"? I don't like judging opps as "novice", everyone makes stupid mistakes (otherwise u would be world champion lol). I am not interested in experts or novice, i only focus on my own bridge, make myself fewer mistakes.

#7 User is offline   nathan2008 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-19, 02:54

i also want to answer levier17's questions which are blocked by barmar :(.

1. You can not take out twice with GIB. Second take out always shows a very strong hand. Sometimes GIB has 0 point , he passes to avoid big loss.

2. You can also take advantage of that. Try to play more 3nt than 4h/4s. In 80% case, you will get bonus.

3. You have the "best" hand, so u must control the bidding. 5M = invite slams if you have good controls.

All in all, GIB is same to all players. Don't complain about it, bbo is always trying to make it better, so trust bbo! Human is clever, you need to find a way to adapt GIB style. Just try to find a solution. Also i suggest u check Leo lasota or jmunday's hand. Check how top GIB players solve all your questions. Nothing is difficult, just because people don't find a solution!! I believe you are a clever guy :).

#8 User is offline   nathan2008 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-19, 03:14

To levier17: GIB is ok. I still remember this hand in bbo speedball against GIB. What a fantastic play! When GIB squeezed me, i cried and my human opp said he learned squeeze by GIB lol.we were all laughing. You can also check how human players played, they are experts.

http://www.bridgebas...name=zhouhang32

#9 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2012-April-19, 07:10

View Postnathan2008, on 2012-April-19, 02:00, said:

Do you know bbo masterpoints? I think a way to judge a player is to check their bbo masterpoints at first. Let us say, a player can put money and get 50+ bbo masterpoints are not a novice :). (50+ bbo points=level 5 or plus. If u are really tired of others and think u are "expert", i suggest u put some bbo$ and play acbl speedball or robot games, there are no "novice" i promise u :).

imo, these numbers largely reflect the number of $tournaments a player has entered and are not a good indication of skill level.

#10 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-19, 07:35

View Postnathan2008, on 2012-April-19, 02:54, said:

i also want to answer levier17's questions which are blocked by barmar :(.

Barmar DID NOT block questions by Levier17. As Barmar's explanation very clearly states, Levier17 made two completely identical posts, one in "General BBO Discussion" and one in the "GIB Forum". Since the thread clearly belongs in the GIB forum, Barmar locked the other so we could concentrate responses in one place. Now I suppose he'll have to move your comments also. See http://www.bridgebas...2659-some-bugs/

#11 User is offline   nathan2008 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-19, 08:07

View Postjillybean, on 2012-April-19, 07:10, said:

imo, these numbers largely reflect the number of $tournaments a player has entered and are not a good indication of skill level.

Only those who think they are good will put some bbo$ and play $ tournements. Also a you must be in top 40% to get masterpoints, not that easy :).

#12 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-April-19, 08:15

View Postnathan2008, on 2012-April-19, 08:07, said:

Only those who think they are good will put some bbo$ and play $ tournements.

My experience suggests that this is not true.

Also a you must be in top 40% to get masterpoints, not that easy :).

My experience suggests that your ranking in a MP tourney has approximately normal distribution with a standard deviation of 8% for an 8-board tourney.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#13 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-19, 08:40

I have a suggestion, reset every account to put themelves 1 level inferior to that that they are now. Now lazy people won´t bother to change it back to a lie.

Also a suggestion would be to reset every level to private, and then put a text on the selecting level screen where it says expert is suposed to win national events.

#14 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-April-19, 08:54

So many unchecked egos in this game.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#15 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-19, 12:34

I just looked at the people playing in this afternoon's JEC match. Except for JEC and Duboin, who are stars, the highest symbol of the rest is [4]. Meanwhile, I'm a [9]. Does that mean I'm far better than them? No, it just means I play in more pay online tourneys. They probably play in lots of team games, set games in MBC, and real-life tourneys. Lots of other good players choose just to play in MBC games.

#16 User is offline   onoway 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-19, 15:24

There is also the point that (I believe) BIL tourneys award partial points just for playing in them. So although admittedly highly unlikely, THEORETICALLY it would be possible to get up to a 7, say, without ever having played anyone but intermediates and beginners, and possibly even without ever having won a tourney. So the numbers are not really any more reliable than the self ratings.

Someone has now put up a site with BBO ratings based on the results of the previous month's hands. No idea how they adjust for the level of competition but they say that they do. It pretty much agreed with what I would have said of the people I know that I looked up as long as they had played quite a few hands. They were perhaps a bit generous with me, but nobody's perfect:). I'm not sure any rating should be given even provisionally for someone who has played only 6 hands as that gives a really skewed picture, but that's quibbling. They note how many hands have been played by the person in question and people can come to their own conclusions based on just that.

http://bboskill.com/index.php

I wish I could figure out how to scroll down the "wall of shame" though. It aroused a morbid curiosity but I couldn't get past the first page. The comments on "how this site works" about cheaters was right on the money.

#17 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-19, 15:54

That site fetches data from My Hands, and it's not an official BBO site. It was promoted heavily on BBO through impersonation of a BBO username, and spamming randoms. I am surprised to see how much people believe it's genuine.

We posted a warning in the News too, but it was pretty useless. If people want to have ratings they will believe anything :)

#18 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-April-19, 16:17

Perhaps a very rough rating system could be used -- say 1 to 5 or 1 to 10. It could be, simply, a correlation between the self-reported rating and performance. So if you call yourself an expert but don't do very well against other "experts" you could have a rating of expert:2 or something like that. It might encourage people to be more realistic in their self-ratings. Maybe.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#19 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2012-April-26, 06:55

View Postonoway, on 2012-April-19, 15:24, said:

Someone has now put up a site with BBO ratings based on the results of the previous month's hands.

http://bboskill.com/index.php

This is clearly total rubbish. I put my name in and received a return of "Expert". I am not even close to this rating and have only played against B/I opposition in the last month.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#20 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-26, 07:30

View PostZelandakh, on 2012-April-26, 06:55, said:

This is clearly total rubbish. I put my name in and received a return of "Expert". I am not even close to this rating and have only played against B/I opposition in the last month.

While the rating of "Expert" is rubbish, what you should take from this is that it is time for you to stop playing primarily against B/I opposition.

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users