BBO Discussion Forums: The best line of play in drawing trumps with a four one break - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The best line of play in drawing trumps with a four one break A fatal mistake in play.

#1 User is offline   Hobartian 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-March-30, 05:20

I was North and declarer in a six heart contract.

My trumps were King, Jack and four and dummy had Queen, eight, seven, six and five.

The auction was uncontested. After winning the opening lead in my hand I led the four towards the Queen. East played the ten and I played the queen which was taken by west with Ace. After winning the next trick I led to the jack and East showed out. That left west with the nine and another trump and I had no way of making my contract.

After seeing the hand record I worked out that if I had lead toward the jack or king I would have observed the fall of the ten from East and that would have given me the opportunity of later finessing West for the nine.

The full layout of trumps were North: King Jack four, East: Ten, South: Queen, eight, seven, six, and five. West Ace, nine, three, two.

If the west and east hands were reversed it would also be possible to finesse East for the nine. My fatal mistake was leading from the short hand toward the queen leaving the king, jack, as a doubleton without any finessing possibilities.

Is there any rule of thumb in drawing trumps with this layout?

#2 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2012-March-30, 06:01

Welcome to the forums!

In general when playing a suit you try to use the honours in the short hand first. So you should play a heart towards KJ in dummy.

The first time you do this you'll get to see the Ten from East and you might lead hearts from South again intending to finesse against West's 9. But I'm not that sure that's such a great idea. Although maybe it's a restricted choice situation?

What I'm sure of is that you should generally play high cards from the short side first as it gives you many advantages in many situations. (For example if East and West holdings were reversed you would have lost two tricks in hearts while if you had played towards KJ you would have trapped the nine).

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#3 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-30, 06:46

The best line is to lead up to the KJ, as then if one of the T9 falls on your left, then you can play the J next and if he shows out you can finesse.

Its not a retricted choice situation because east may duck with AT9, and AT9+T9 is more likely than T or 9 alone.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#4 User is offline   Statto 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, but not in conflation.
    Statistics, but not massaged by the media.

Posted 2012-April-02, 16:59

Another rule of thumb is to play towards the hand with more honours first. Again this suggests playing towards the shorter hand here, but had it been KJ876 opposite Q54, the two competing theories almost neutralize each other. (It's marginally better a priori in this situation to start with small towards KJ for the specific [rare] case when an opp has A109xx over KJ876, as you can then escape only 1 off.)
A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem – Albert Einstein

#5 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2012-April-02, 18:56

A useful utility that reveals the optimum play at teams or pairs is suitplay

#6 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-03, 11:08

As phil says, you should not finese then 9 back because RHO can duck A109 making it against odds. However if east is incapable of ducking then finese is odds on.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users