BBO Discussion Forums: Side suit fit/misfit in trump contract - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Side suit fit/misfit in trump contract How much does it worth

#1 User is offline   frank0 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-March-30, 01:14

Total point on BBO with pick up partner, I(East) made wrong bidding decisions(at least, the result was wrong) on the following boards.

In the first hand we had only 23 HCP total and no ruffing value but 10 tricks were there. On the second hand, after receiving a lead partner took a standard suit combination play, to J, losing 21 and 1 when establishing suit, it was -2.

Seems like I underbid the first hand with fit on partner's suit and overbid the second hand when void in partner's suit.

Does anyone have a good rule of thumb on evaluating the value of side suit fit in trump contract? Or, any comments on these two hands are welcome.

#2 User is offline   antonylee 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-March-30, 02:58

Board 1 is too hard for me (though I will notice that the probability that both pointed suits behave is "only" 65% -- yes I know it's more than enough :P).

Board 2 I guess it's a matter of partnership agreement, for me 3 not only promises a distributional hand but also a very weak hand so as East I may give up over 3 (he's the one who knows (first) you're in a big misfit).

#3 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-March-30, 06:18

It takes a bit of a view to bid 4S on the first one. Change the SQ to the HQ, both hands bid the same but game no longer has any chance.

Edit: perhaps LTC gets you there. After opener invites East can count 7 losers and can accept.

The second one depends on the meaning of 4C. 3C is absolutely fine with the nice shape and the void in opps suit. If 4C is a weak raise (which is what East has, given his void in partner's suit and wasted diamond cards) then West should pass.

ahydra

#4 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-30, 06:29

IMO you are resulting yourself.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#5 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-30, 07:12

I think east should bid game on the first one. East has a massive hand if partner has four trumps and some typical 4351 hand. I mean passing is playing partner for a minimum with three hearts, as south with values and three hearts will often raise to 3H. There just seems a good chance that I can hold my losers to two hearts and a club opposite many typical hands: Kxxx xx AQJxx xx is plenty for game.

The second one easts bidding is fine. West could have a relative mountain for his 3C bid. Add the club Q to his hand and its a pretty good spot. West bid agressively (though fine) and you got to a game that basically depends on some friendly black suit layouts, but its hardly no play. Can even be made DD after the diamond lead.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users