• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Distributional hand in 2/1 Hard?

#1 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-March-23, 09:57

Kinda assume everyone agrees up to here, anyone got any suggestions about how to continue?
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#2 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-23, 09:58

5H, I think this is forcing. It could be too much of course, but 4H could also be too little (that's how we would bid holding a 10-count with this shape so we will never bid a slam).
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#3 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-23, 10:00

4 and accept a sing off in 4NT.

I would had started with 2 at MPs.

#4 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-23, 10:07

View PostFluffy, on 2012-March-23, 10:00, said:

4 and accept a sing off in 4NT.

I would had started with 2 at MPs.

Its teams.

#5 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2012-March-23, 12:10

In the spirit of recent han posts, let me say that I agree completely with han on this one. Too bad I didn't get here earlier....then han could have agreed with me :D
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#6 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-March-23, 12:13

I agree with both of you, but I usually do.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#7 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-23, 12:51

View Postgnasher, on 2012-March-23, 12:13, said:

I agree with both of you, but I usually do.

Ah but you played this hand :).

Yeah I thought for a long time about 5H but I wasn't sure how my parter would take it. Eventually I just lumped 6d. The full hand was:

so 6D was a fortunate make. How to people feel about the 1S opener in 2/1? Personally I avoid opening these hands, and just pass, think its just a bit too light. Gnasher was at the other table, also defending 6d, although they had a much more scientific auction to this terrible spot. :)

#8 User is offline   HighLow21 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-March-23, 13:13

Several options:

1. 6, pick a red slam.
2. Which ever convention is ace-asking for you in this auction. I would prefer 4, which I assume would have to be Gerber here. If partner has two, then a diamond king inquiry.
3. 6NT, semi-gambling. Since this is teams, I don't care for this one.

Personally I like (1) the best, because partner is very unlikely to hold all 3 cards I need to bid a grand. It would be unfortunate if he had only one.
There is a big difference between a good decision and a good result. Let's keep our posts about good decisions rather than "gotcha" results!

#9 User is offline   HighLow21 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-23, 13:16

View Postphil_20686, on 2012-March-23, 12:51, said:

<snip>
so 6D was a fortunate make. How to people feel about the 1S opener in 2/1? Personally I avoid opening these hands, and just pass, think its just a bit too light. Gnasher was at the other table, also defending 6d, although they had a much more scientific auction to this terrible spot. :)

Well you have to admit, I was dead on about this hand, albeit luckily, but I'm glad to see my 6D bid was the right one! :-)
There is a big difference between a good decision and a good result. Let's keep our posts about good decisions rather than "gotcha" results!

#10 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2012-March-23, 14:35

View PostHighLow21, on 2012-March-23, 13:13, said:

Several options:

1. 6, pick a red slam.
2. Which ever convention is ace-asking for you in this auction. I would prefer 4, which I assume would have to be Gerber here. If partner has two, then a diamond king inquiry.
3. 6NT, semi-gambling. Since this is teams, I don't care for this one.

Personally I like (1) the best, because partner is very unlikely to hold all 3 cards I need to bid a grand. It would be unfortunate if he had only one.

1. If you want partner to pick a red suit slam, bid 5, which has the advantage of showing your shape. I'd take 6 as placing the contract, not giving me an option. After all, if 5 is forcing (as I think most/all experts would see it) then we can't have both 5 and 6 as offering a choice of strain. Never assign to two such sequences the same meaning.
2. Few players would use 4 as ace asking over 3N. I can see a rationale for using it as such, given that we have bid diamonds, then hearts, so we are unlikely to be showing real clubs, but I doubt that many experts would take 4 as gerber absent express agreement

3. 6N is a very poor call, imo. We rate to have limited communication and so we want to play in our best red fit.

Don't worry about a grand. Your focus here should be on finding the correct strain, not speculating about level.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#11 User is offline   mikeh 

Posted 2012-March-23, 14:39

View Postphil_20686, on 2012-March-23, 12:51, said:

Yeah I thought for a long time about 5H but I wasn't sure how my parter would take it. Eventually I just lumped 6d. The full hand was:

Am I missing something? Maybe I am, but it seems to me that the opening lead will usually be a club here, and now I don't know how you make 6. Surely N doesn't rise with the heart A at trick 2? And, unless he does, how do we make 12 tricks?

#12 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-23, 14:56

View Postmikeh, on 2012-March-23, 14:39, said:

Am I missing something? Maybe I am, but it seems to me that the opening lead will usually be a club here, and now I don't know how you make 6. Surely N doesn't rise with the heart A at trick 2? And, unless he does, how do we make 12 tricks?

Ace of clubs Ace of spades top heart. One small heart is ruffed and one goes on the spade K, then diamond hook.

Think a heart off dummy at trick two leads to the same result always. Cannot not prevent 2s 2h 6d 1c 1h ruff.

#13 User is offline   mikeh 

Posted 2012-March-23, 15:00

View Postphil_20686, on 2012-March-23, 14:56, said:

Ace of clubs Ace of spades top heart. One small heart is ruffed and one goes on the spade K, then diamond hook.

Think a heart off dummy at trick two leads to the same result always. Cannot not prevent 2s 2h 6d 1c 1h ruff.

yes, had a blind spot

#14 User is offline   xxhong 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-23, 16:30

Without any conventions, 5H seems good.

With conventions, here I play transfers over 3NT, so it is a 4D bid to show 5H+6D. Over partner's 4H, I RKC. Over partner's 4S, I guess to bid 6D. Over partner's 5D, I guess to bid 6D. Over partner's 5C(a cuebid for D), I bid 5S to show SA and grand slam interest. Over partner's 5H, I also bid 5S to show grand slam interest.

View Postphil_20686, on 2012-March-23, 09:57, said:

Kinda assume everyone agrees up to here, anyone got any suggestions about how to continue?

#15 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2012-March-23, 16:49

4 is the most practical bid -- assuming partner has an opening bid. It identifies the 6-5 holding to partner and lets partner pick the game or make a move toward slam.

However, partner does not have an opening bid. If you use any variant of the rule of 20, it fails. If partner wants to make any opening noise, then the only practicable bid is 2 .

You can still make 6 after a lead by immediately leading a . If North rises with the A , he has no return. If he ducks, you win, unblock the A , ruff a low to the board, pitch a low on the K , and take the finesse. It is a lucky hand as it requires the K doubleton in the slot to make -- about a 20% probability.

If partner had the reverse holding in the red suits 6 won't make with a probable C lead.

#16 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:student of the game

Posted 2012-March-23, 18:49

View Postmikeh, on 2012-March-23, 14:39, said:

I think it makes 12 tricks.
1. club to ace
2. heart, duck by North. win king.
3. spade ace
4. ruff small heart.
5. spade king, pitch small heart
6. small diamond for finesse
draw trumps lose heart to ace. 12 tricks.

#17 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-March-23, 19:30

View Posthan, on 2012-March-23, 09:58, said:

5H, I think this is forcing. It could be too much of course, but 4H could also be too little (that's how we would bid holding a 10-count with this shape so we will never bid a slam).

I don't know a lot about 2/1 GF -- is 2 really the right bid with 10HCP and good shape?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#18 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-23, 21:28

I never agree with Han and MikeH (thats a joke btw, i got my lesson from another topic) but i always agree with Andy, so they must be right !
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#19 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2012-March-24, 00:31

I would bid 5H, however i do believe the 1S opening is a partnership killer.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#20 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-March-24, 15:23

[Edit: This was in response to a deleted post by HighLow21 basically saying he doesn't like me, after I told him his opinion about Gerber is in the wrong forum here.]

Let me guess - ever since this thread where I gave my honest opinion and you answered everyone's posts except mine?

This post has been edited by mgoetze: 2012-March-25, 18:33

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users