• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6-5 Minors opposite 1NT

#1 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-March-22, 23:52

MBC, all white. Partner deals and opens 15-17 1NT, passed to you.
J98763
A6543

Your bid:
a) Without minor-suit transfers?
b) Let's say you're playing four-suit transfers. Over 2NT to diamonds, patner breaks with 3, showing Hxx or better. Now what?

#2 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-23, 02:03

View PostAntrax, on 2012-March-22, 23:52, said:

MBC, all white. Partner deals and opens 15-17 1NT, passed to you.
J98763
A6543

Your bid:
a) Without minor-suit transfers?

What methods am I playing? I do whatever I do with a weak takeout in diamonds.

b) Let's say you're playing four-suit transfers. Over 2NT to diamonds, patner breaks with 3, showing Hxx or better. Now what?

Too late to change my methods, but anyway I can punt 3NT or correct to 3. No big deal either way.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#3 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-23, 02:49

With one partner we play 4-suit Transfers.
Right or wrong, we then decided to define the 3-level-jumps as:
1NT - 3H! = (5/5)+, Weak
1NT - 3S! = (5/5)+, GF or better

1NT - 3C! = (5/5)+, Weak
1NT - 3D! = (5/5)+, GF or better

The question for this hand for us is which 3-minor-jump to use:

♠7
♥4
♦J98763
♣A6543

Since the hand has too much game potential, I'd bid:
1NT - 3D! ( GF )

Now for follow-ups:
Whichever minor suit Opener selects ( 4C or 4D ), Responder has 2 options:
1) Make a Minorwood reply or
2) Sign-off .... 5C or 5D

Signing-off is more prudent here.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Edit ( addition ) :
There is a 3rd course of action for the more pessimistic:
3) PASS partner's 4C/4D selection.

This post has been edited by TWO4BRIDGE: 2012-March-23, 03:33

Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#4 User is online   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2012-March-23, 03:08

Hi,

a) If cant get out in diamonds, I will pass.
b) 5D

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#5 User is offline   highhood55 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-March-23, 04:40

So far you all are incorect. IF PRT HAS THE A-Q OF BOTH SPDS AND AND THE ACE OR KING OF WHICH IS 16/15 POINTS YOU RATE TO MAKE NEITHER 5 OF EITHER MINOR NOR 3NT. IF YOU ARE PLAYING 4 WAY TRNS THEN YOUR RESPONSE OF 3C OVER 1NT IS A PREEMPTIVE 5/5 MINORS AND THE 3D BID OVER 1NT IS ONLY INV. NEW SUITE OVER A TRNS IS FRC TO GM.
CORRECT BID WITH THESE HANDS IS 3 INV

#6 User is online   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2012-March-23, 04:56

Hi,

welcome to the forum.

I doubt that opener is able to judge correctly what to do,
if we bid 3D inv. He wont expect a 6-5 hand.

Nevertheless, asking him may well be a good idea.

In the end, get it right.

With kind regards
Marlowe

PS: I would try to use the capital letter sentences only very
carefully.
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#7 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-23, 06:15

do whatever you need to lpay 3 it doesn't matter what partner thinks about it.

#8 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-March-23, 06:51

View Posthighhood55, on 2012-March-23, 04:40, said:

So far you all are incorect. IF PRT HAS THE A-Q OF BOTH SPDS AND AND THE ACE OR KING OF WHICH IS 16/15 POINTS YOU RATE TO MAKE NEITHER 5 OF EITHER MINOR NOR 3NT. IF YOU ARE PLAYING 4 WAY TRNS THEN YOUR RESPONSE OF 3C OVER 1NT IS A PREEMPTIVE 5/5 MINORS AND THE 3D BID OVER 1NT IS ONLY INV. NEW SUITE OVER A TRNS IS FRC TO GM.
CORRECT BID WITH THESE HANDS IS 3 INV

YOU ARE ASSUMING A LOT ABOUT THE METHODS IN USE.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#9 User is offline   highhood55 

• Pip

Posted 2012-March-23, 08:03

View PostVampyr, on 2012-March-23, 06:51, said:

YOU ARE ASSUMING A LOT ABOUT THE METHODS IN USE.

I asume nothing. For every hand that you show me that makes game with these cards I can give you 3 hands that do not

#10 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2012-March-23, 08:09

View Posthighhood55, on 2012-March-23, 04:40, said:

IF YOU ARE PLAYING 4 WAY TRNS THEN YOUR RESPONSE OF 3C OVER 1NT IS A PREEMPTIVE 5/5 MINORS AND THE 3D BID OVER 1NT IS ONLY INV.

View Posthighhood55, on 2012-March-23, 08:03, said:

I asume nothing. For every hand that you show me that makes game with these cards I can give you 3 hands that do not

You have assumed the above. Believe it or not it is possible to play 4 way transfers without agreeing to play the 3m bids as described.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#11 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-23, 09:19

Okay, thanks. I was wondering how much partner was resulting - on the cards, 5 and 1NT both make. Partner had nice fillers for my clubs and the diamond AQxx, but only Kxx in hearts and the K was wrong.

#12 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-23, 09:35

If you generate a bunch of hands with a strong nt opposite these cards in Dealmaster or some other program I bet any game is extremely odds against.

If you can do that maybe you can get your partners head out of the clouds or wherever else it may be.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#13 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2012-March-23, 09:38

Late to the thread.

Playing 4 suit transfers, it is common to have 3 as pass or correct, with forcing minors shown, often, via 3. One can't usually show an invitational hand.

My preference would be to bid 3, both minors, weak.

My view is that opener should usually correct with 3-3, in order to get the lead coming around to his hand.

Given that assumption, we can expect opener to correct to 3 more than half the time.

That allows us to make an unusual call: we can raise 3 to 4, presumably implying a hand somewhat like this: at least 6 diamonds (I don't think we can construct any hand on which 4 can be justified with fewer than 6), and therefore presumably 5 clubs, and a maximum weak hand. Partner should be able to see that minor suit cards are huge, and that major suit Aces are good while lesser major suit honours are bad.

It sounds as if opener may have enough to bid 5.

If we have no way of showing both minors and weak(ish) values, then I do whatever I need to do to sign off in 3.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#14 User is offline   highhood55 

• Pip

Posted 2012-March-23, 10:04

View PostZelandakh, on 2012-March-23, 08:09, said:

You have assumed the above. Believe it or not it is possible to play 4 way transfers without agreeing to play the 3m bids as described.

Regardless of how you play transfers the the only real point that I am trying to make is that this hand is at best a inv hand. As the last 2 who posted on this have stated your head is in the clouds if you realy expect to make a gm on these cards.

#15 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-23, 13:19

View Posthighhood55, on 2012-March-23, 10:04, said:

Regardless of how you play transfers the the only real point that I am trying to make is that this hand is at best a inv hand. As the last 2 who posted on this have stated your head is in the clouds if you realy expect to make a gm on these cards.

Game does look reasonably far away, but that is hardly teh only consideration. It seems reasonably likely that opponents might have game on in a major. I think tactical considerations are important here, if oppos come back to the party i won't know what to do and will certainly now be doubled in 5m. If I show a 55 GF i will more than likely be passed out in 5m, which could be a huge win.

I'm not saying you should drive a game for this reason, but at the very least we should consider how we can get partner to make a good decision if it comes back to him in 4M.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#16 User is offline   Quartic 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Walking, Climbing, Mathematics, Programming, Linux, Reading, Bridge.

Posted 2012-March-23, 13:27

In my methods, I would bid 2NT transfer to , and partner would bid 3 showing Hxx or better. I would probably leave this. If partner bid 3 denying Hxx in , I would let partner play 3.

#17 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-23, 17:41

View PostQuartic, on 2012-March-23, 13:27, said:

In my methods, I would bid 2NT transfer to , and partner would bid 3 showing Hxx or better. I would probably leave this. If partner bid 3 denying Hxx in , I would let partner play 3.

Finally, we have a situation where the "pre-decline" is more useful than the "pre-accept" .
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#18 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2012-March-23, 18:00

View PostTWO4BRIDGE, on 2012-March-23, 17:41, said:

Finally, we have a situation where the "pre-decline" is more useful than the "pre-accept" .

At the risk of going way off topic, the main advantage to the pre-decline arises if you use 2 as either clubs or an invitational notrump raise....opener bids 2N with all hands with which he would decline the invitational notrump range and super-accepts with all hands with which he would accept such an invite. This suffers from a slight loss of precision in the hands on which responder has clubs, since opener's decision to superaccept is independent of his club holding, but it more than makes up for it from the significant benefits that flow from not having to use stayman when responder has a notrump invite with no interest in a 4 card major.

These benefits include:

1. not telling the defenders and, in particular, opening leader, anything about opener's major holdings, and

2. Freeing up some bids after 1N 2. For example, since 2 now promises a major, one can use 1N 2 2 2N in a creative way. In one partnership, we use 2 here as natural, invitational and 2N as a balanced slam try in hearts.

The idea of 2 being a 2 way bid is something I have seen played by a number of top pairs and never knew where it came from until I bought a series of books from Martens, who is one of my favourite bridge authors.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#19 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-March-23, 19:17

View Postmikeh, on 2012-March-23, 09:38, said:

Playing 4 suit transfers, it is common to have 3 as pass or correct, with forcing minors shown, often, via 3. One can't usually show an invitational hand.

I don't think it's that common.

View PostQuartic, on 2012-March-23, 13:27, said:

Now this is very common, and in my experience works quite well.

View Postmikeh, on 2012-March-23, 18:00, said:

At the risk of going way off topic, the main advantage to the pre-decline arises if you use 2 as either clubs or an invitational notrump raise....

Probably the methods are not compatible then.

The idea of 2 being a 2 way bid is something I have seen played by a number of top pairs and never knew where it came from until I bought a series of books from Martens, who is one of my favourite bridge authors.

2 as invitational/Baron has been played in England probably since before Martens was born.

#20 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-24, 01:53

View Postggwhiz, on 2012-March-23, 09:35, said:

If you generate a bunch of hands with a strong nt opposite these cards in Dealmaster or some other program I bet any game is extremely odds against.

I ran 400 hands thru Dealmaster Pro opposite 15-17 HCP balanced hands.

3NT only made 10% so clearly is an odds against contract. Even if you can get diamonds going, the low point count adds up to too many losers and not enough winners.
4 made 64%.
5 made 33%.
4made 45%.
5 made 21%.

The other question is whether you just sign off in 3 (or 3 if you can sign off in either), or invite to 5 of a minor. You can make 4+ of a minor about 80% so getting to the 4 level is not completely safe, but if you have a good fit (my seat of the pants estimate based on 3+ support with at least a top honor)in one or both of the minors then I estimate 5 of a minor will be about 50% based on a partial review of the results. If the NT opener only accepts with minimum wasted major suit honors, the game percentage will go up.

The other observation I have is that the opponents will usually have a good major suit fit, and even game so you may not have an unobstructed auction.

Before I ran the simulations, I thought I would probably just sign off in 3, but if you can show an invitational minor 2 suiter, than it seems like an invitational bid will have the best EV. If you can only invite in diamonds, it looks like you should probably just sign off in 3 diamonds since clubs are going to be the best contract a sizeable percentage of the time.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users