• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6-5 Minors opposite 1NT

#21 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-March-26, 06:43

View Posthighhood55, on 2012-March-23, 10:04, said:

Regardless of how you play transfers the the only real point that I am trying to make is that this hand is at best a inv hand. As the last 2 who posted on this have stated your head is in the clouds if you realy expect to make a gm on these cards.

Would you care to point out where I have suggested bidding game? As far as I can see only one poster did choose a game-forcing response to 1NT here and even then the possibility of stopping in 4m is given.

As it happens I play a system over 1NT (weak) that is based on 2 as Puppet Stayman. On this hand I would quietly play 2 unless Opener had a 5 card major in which case it would be 3. Funnily enough I did not assume that the OP plays my method. The point here is actually not that I was disagreeing with your evaluation but rather with the statement that you assumed nothing in your first post of the thread.

In the last normal Stayman structure I used the weak take-out in diamonds also went through 2 but now it is unlikely that we get to play there (partner almost certainly has a 4 card major) and I would prefer to show a weak hand with both minors instead. Playing 4-way transfers which include "weak, both minors" into the diamond transfer I would bid 2NT and pass partner's 3 response. In either case it looks quite possible to raise a 3 bid to 4 if this is defined as invitational.

The structure you assumed has a bid for an invitational hand with both minors included in it. Given that, we have a choice between starting 3 and raising 3 to 4 (as suggested by Mike), bidding a direct 3 (invitational), or simply signing off in 3. The numbers in johnu's simulation seem to suggest that the hand is worth an invite in diamonds but not clubs - this would suggest 3 followed by 4 but this seems to me to be much more a matter of judgement than your "the correct bid is 3" post suggests. Thus I do not believe the matter is as clear-cut as you have suggested. It probably depends as much as anything on what is expected for an "invite" in this context - are we inviting 3NT or 5m? Since this is a minority method I have never played it is difficult to really comment.

Also what matters is less whether Opener has 15/16 or 16/17 and more where those high cards are located. The big advantage of the 3 -> 4 approach is it gets partner to really focus in on the minors without worrying about whether 3NT is in the picture. The downside is being a level higher on the (not uncommon) case where game is not good.

John, would it be posible for you to run a further simulation specifying Hxx or better in diamonds in Opener's hand to better answer Antrax's second question?
(-: Zel :-)

#22 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-28, 22:57

View PostZelandakh, on 2012-March-26, 06:43, said:

John, would it be posible for you to run a further simulation specifying Hxx or better in diamonds in Opener's hand to better answer Antrax's second question?

I ran 200 hand samples. Opposite 15-17 with at least Qxx or better, 5 was at 37%, if 5 failed, 5 adds another 4-5% so maybe 41% in the best minor suit contract. With Kxx or better, 5 was at 48% (not surprising since you will lose 2 diamond tricks opposite Qxx so you can't lose any other tricks) and 5only added another 2% when 5 fails for about 50% overall.

#23 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-29, 02:16

thanks, johnu.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users