• You cannot reply to this topic

2C overcall results in -800

#1 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2012-March-25, 00:14

I played this hand in a team game on BBO today, a good reminder why a vulnerable 2 overcall should be made a solid 6 card suit.

"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#2 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2012-March-25, 00:27

I'm not sure 5 card overcalls at the 2 level are bad intrinsically, the problem is that you have the tri-defecta. A rubbish hand, a rubbish suit and rubbish breaks.

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-March-25, 01:40

I was operating the Vanderbilt Semi-Final Vugraph today, and a world-class player made what I thought was a normal 2 overcall. He had about 13 HCP and the suit was AKQTx. His partner even had 987 support for him. But Jxxx was behind him, the defense was accurate, and he went for 800.

#4 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2012-March-25, 10:23

View PostCthulhu D, on 2012-March-25, 00:27, said:

I'm not sure 5 card overcalls at the 2 level are bad intrinsically, the problem is that you have the tri-defecta. A rubbish hand, a rubbish suit and rubbish breaks.

After a number of disasterous 2 overcalls made on 5 card suits and advice from experienced players, I am convinced that a 6 card suit is needed for these overcalls. Sure there are exceptions but I think it is a good guideline. This hand is particularly bad (I'm West here) but a hand I would have blindly overcalled with in the past.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#5 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-25, 12:18

We like to bid 2C over 1D a whole lot, and it seems to reap good results. Having the sixth club is nice, but we like to make that overcall more often.

This hand, at these colors, with human partners is the trifecta against doing it on this occasion.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#6 User is offline   jmcw 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-March-25, 12:35

This is a horrible overcall which got what it deserved IMO.
Agree with Aqua that bidding 2!c/1!D is likeable, but this is way too much of a stretch.

I don't think it needs the "trifecta" to make it a bad call, it's just bad.

#7 User is offline   HighLow21 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-25, 13:00

View Postjillybean, on 2012-March-25, 10:23, said:

After a number of disasterous 2 overcalls made on 5 card suits and advice from experienced players, I am convinced that a 6 card suit is needed for these overcalls. Sure there are exceptions but I think it is a good guideline. This hand is particularly bad (I'm West here) but a hand I would have blindly overcalled with in the past.

The number of cards is not essential. The number of likely tricks is essential.

A8
JT732
KQJT8

This is anyone's 2 overcall.

AJ
QT
Q93
KJ8532

This is probably NOT a 2 overcall. Even though it is 2 HCP stronger and has an extra club.

If you'd like a further explanation of why, I'd be happy to provide it.

The original hand in question is definitely not an overcall.
There is a big difference between a good decision and a good result. Let's keep our posts about good decisions rather than "gotcha" results!

#8 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-March-25, 14:27

View PostHighLow21, on 2012-March-25, 13:00, said:

The number of cards is not essential. The number of likely tricks is essential.

A8
JT732
KQJT8

AJ
QT
Q93
KJ8532

This is probably NOT a 2 overcall. Even though it is 2 HCP stronger and has an extra club.

If you'd like a further explanation of why, I'd be happy to provide it.

Probably better to have stuck with your first example and left the second one out.

#9 User is offline   HighLow21 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-25, 15:08

View Postaguahombre, on 2012-March-25, 14:27, said:

Probably better to have stuck with your first example and left the second one out.

Fair point; I guess my point is that the 1st overcall is definitely better than the 2nd one because it is less dangerous.
There is a big difference between a good decision and a good result. Let's keep our posts about good decisions rather than "gotcha" results!

#10 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2012-March-25, 15:10

I like overcalling on 5-card suits on the 2-level but not with 5332 and not without at least some reason. I also like to overcall with a lot of crappy hands with 6-card suits, definitely yes on the one HighLow gave above. I don't have huge success stories to share with you, but I do like it that I don't have to think about balancing later in the auction and it often makes defence easier (negative inferences from partner's failure to raise, for example). Of course, sometimes auctions are made easier because RHO doubles and LHO leaves it in, but it really doesn't happen that often.

edit: note that if your partner likes to overcall on sick hands, it makes sense to run more freely when opps double him/her. Of course, this also depends on the tempo of the auction (from the opps' side!).
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#11 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-March-25, 15:13

Highlow: your second example has practical implications, beyond theoretical examination. The subtractors on it might be offset a whole bunch by the value of messing with their auction, for instance; or, we might stumble into a Meckwell 3NT making.

#12 User is offline   HighLow21 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-25, 15:21

View Postaguahombre, on 2012-March-25, 15:13, said:

Highlow: your second example has practical implications, beyond theoretical examination. The subtractors on it might be offset a whole bunch by the value of messing with their auction, for instance; or, we might stumble into a Meckwell 3NT making.

I understand the obstructive value of overcalling while bypassing both majors and NT. It can also lead to a great contract by our side, either in clubs or NT.

It can be a huge win to do this with this 2nd hand, I fully agree.

The topic of this thread seems to be primarily about the safety consideration in deciding whether to overcall, and what I was trying to demonstrate was how much more unsafe the 2nd example is, in spite of the higher HCP count and the additional club.

The first example is safe almost 100% of the time. The 2nd is a lot riskier in spite of the 6-card suit.

#13 User is offline   Statto 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, but not in conflation.
    Statistics, but not massaged by the media.

Posted 2012-March-25, 16:21

For me, the predominant reason for not overcalling with the OP hand is that it has a lot of defence (e.g. against a contract) and bugger all offence with having been bid on my right. NV I would probably overcall for the pre-emptive value.

Or viewed another way, the high cards are all in the short suits, which does not a good hand make.
A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem – Albert Einstein

#14 User is offline   HighLow21 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-25, 16:24

View PostStatto, on 2012-March-25, 16:21, said:

For me, the predominant reason for not overcalling with the OP hand is that it has a lot of defence (e.g. against a contract) and bugger all offence with having been bid. NV I would probably overcall for the pre-emptive value.

The length in diamonds and lack of values in diamonds are actually offensive assets. It suggests a club fit most of the time, which happens not to be the case here.

I would prefer to move the JD to clubs (immensely) in exchange for a small club becoming a small diamond, but losing a jack is a small loss. (The implication of an additional potential trump trick loss is immense, though!)

That said, the rest of the hand screams defense. Soft honors in majors. Poor suit. Decent but not great overall shape. Plenty of reasons why overcalling can go awry whenever the hand overall is a semi-misfit. And this hand is a bad overall misfit. I hate letting them take me down at all when they have no contract. Down 3 vulnerable, doubled, in a partscore, breaks my heart.

-800 without a game on for them is actually extremely unlucky. Much more common is -200 or -500 while they STILL don't have a game on. But I'm also guessing on this hand that there was some sort of misdeclaration, as I cannot conceive how the defense can take 8 tricks.

#15 User is offline   Statto 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-25, 16:36

View PostHighLow21, on 2012-March-25, 16:24, said:

The length in diamonds and lack of values in diamonds are actually offensive assets.

The lack of values, yes, but not the length. It's length that would be better placed in a more useful suit, one that opps have not bid.
A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem – Albert Einstein

#16 User is offline   HighLow21 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-25, 16:40

View PostStatto, on 2012-March-25, 16:36, said:

The lack of values, yes, but not the length. It's length that would be better placed in a more useful suit, one that opps have not bid.

See Mike Lawrence's book on overcalls. Length (4+) in the opening suit (especially an opening to your right) is an offensive asset, especially without minor honors (this one has J, bad but better than Q), because it suggest shortness in that suit with, and therefore trumps with, partner. Thus, 2 is a better overcall after a 1 opening that 1 of either major. (It is also better because of the obstructive value of skipping so many responses by LHO.)

In order of preference, roughly, are the following holdings in RHO's opening bid suit, in terms of whether to overcall:
- 5+ with A or no honors at all
- 5+ with K
- a void
- 5+ with minor honors
- 4+ with AQ, AK, or A
- 4+ with minor honors and no ace
- 2 cards with AK, Ax or Kx
- 1 card (A or x)
- 2 cards xx
- 2 or 1 cards with minor honors (Qx, QJ, Jx, K, Q, J)
- 3 cards Axx
- 3 cards xxx
- 3 cards QJx
- 3 cards with Q or J but not both. Terrible.

With less and less length in opener's suit, a stronger overcall suit is more essential, because more shortness in the opening suit decreases the likelihood of partner having fitting length and/or strength. (It also increases the chance of partner having wastage in the opening suit.)

#17 User is offline   HighLow21 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-25, 16:50

deleted

#18 User is offline   Statto 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-25, 16:52

View PostHighLow21, on 2012-March-25, 16:40, said:

... it suggest shortness in that suit with, and therefore trumps with, partner ...

Agree it is more likely partner will be short in that suit, so there may be fewer losers. But it in no way makes it more likely partner will have more trumps.

#19 User is offline   HighLow21 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-25, 16:53

If partner has fewer diamonds, he has more non-diamonds. Therefore, more likely, he has some number of clubs. When he has 2 diamonds (as here, about average in this spot), his expectation is slightly more than 3 clubs. Voila: a sufficient trump suit.

#20 User is offline   655321 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-25, 16:55

View PostHighLow21, on 2012-March-25, 13:00, said:

A8
JT732
KQJT8

AJ
QT
Q93
KJ8532

I admit I would always overcall the first hand NV, but vulnerable it doesn't seem quite as clear to me.

And the second example, although it is not a terrific hand, I would always overcall 2 even when vulnerable.

So I don't agree with your rankings.

View PostHighLow21, on 2012-March-25, 16:40, said:

See Mike Lawrence's book on overcalls. Length (4+) in the opening suit (especially an opening to your right) is an offensive asset, especially without minor honors (this one has J, bad but better than Q), because it suggest shortness in that suit with, and therefore trumps with, partner.

Try searching the forums for replies to this one.
That's impossible. No one can give more than one hundred percent. By definition that is the most anyone can give.

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users