• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Stayman with 4333?

#1 User is offline   mich-b 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-March-21, 11:21

I am sure this has been discussed in the past , but anyway :
How often do you Stayman with a "game values" 4333 (with a major) opposite a 15-17 1NT opening playing IMPs ?
never/rarely/sometimes/usually/always?
Does it depend on your strength (9? 14?) , on your controls?

And similarly how about using puppet stayman with a 33(34) (4 card minor) opposite a 2NT opening?

#2 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-March-21, 11:27

After a 2NT opening, we don't have to; forced by system issue to bid 3C puppet/1NT with the flat ones.

The flip side is that 2NT openings themselves can be more distributional. Though we are flat, partner might not be; and playing the 5-4 major when opener is (say) 2-5-2-4 might be a good idea.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#3 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2012-March-21, 11:37

As Agua alluded, the 2NT opener (and even the 1NT opener) may have some distribution. So, just because you are 4333 doesn't mean that a 44 fit will not play better than 3NT.

Having seen my partner's 1NT openings, I Stayman on 4333 all of the time EXCEPT when my hand screams not to (i.e., KJT xxxx KJT AJT).

#4 User is offline   awm 

Posted 2012-March-21, 11:45

At imps I generally bid 3nt with these. The statistic I've seen is that when 4333 opposite a balanced hand, 4-4 major fit takes one additional trick a bit more than half the time, takes the same number of tricks most of the rest, and quite rarely has any other result. This means bid 3nt at imps because you need one trick less, but stayman maybe better at MP.

5-3 fit with 4333 in the 3 hand and 5332 opposite very often makes the same tricks in suit or NT so I would never look for fit on these.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#5 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2012-March-21, 11:46

I used 3 and 3 to show this hand type. Comes up more frequently then 5431 and other treatments. So my answer is no, never.

If I am forced to play something different for these bids, I would use stayman whenever we have less then around 28 HCPS or my own honour concentration looks as much "SUITable" as possible with this shape.
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#6 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-March-21, 14:03

View Postawm, on 2012-March-21, 11:45, said:

5-3 fit with 4333 in the 3 hand and 5332 opposite very often makes the same tricks in suit or NT so I would never look for fit on these.

Does your calculation change when (as OP stated) the 4-3-3-3 has four of a major? Or does the possibility of a 5-4 fit playing much better not affect anything?
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#7 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-March-21, 14:20

I tend to bid 3N with these hands, unless I am looking for slam.

I don't have any hard evidence to back this up, but it seems to work fine. One of the benefits is you frequently get a lead of a major in 3N, when this was a suit that was breaking 4-1 in your 4-4, so its a good for 3N and bad for 4M.

There was a forum post a few years ago and it seemed like a good idea after hearing from some top players, and someone might have run a sim.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#8 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-21, 15:29

With more Aces and Kings, I tend to bid stayman, with more queens and jacks I bid 3NT as these will not stop top losers, but will be valuable at NT. Again, no evidence it works, but it's vaguely what Woolsey advocates in "Matchpoints."
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#9 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2012-March-21, 15:39

View Postawm, on 2012-March-21, 11:45, said:

At imps I generally bid 3nt with these. The statistic I've seen is that when 4333 opposite a balanced hand, 4-4 major fit takes one additional trick a bit more than half the time, takes the same number of tricks most of the rest, and quite rarely has any other result. This means bid 3nt at imps because you need one trick less, but stayman maybe better at MP.

That's only true if you aren't allowed to use your judgement on when to look for a fit but have to follow a robotic rule.

#10 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2012-March-21, 15:43

View Postmich-b, on 2012-March-21, 11:21, said:

I am sure this has been discussed in the past , but anyway :
How often do you Stayman with a "game values" 4333 (with a major) opposite a 15-17 1NT opening playing IMPs ?
never/rarely/sometimes/usually/always?
Does it depend on your strength (9? 14?) , on your controls?

And similarly how about using puppet stayman with a 33(34) (4 card minor) opposite a 2NT opening?

I wrote an article on this for English Bridge a couple of years ago, but I don't think it's available online any more (there are only a few 'selected' articles archived at the EBU website). I might be able to dig it out if anyone is really interested.

My personal answer is in two parts:
(i) I play methods after 'Stayman' where, having found a 4-4 fit, I can always offer to play in 3NT. Without this, I would look for a fit less often. With this, I would go for 'often' (which is about halfway between sometimes and usually).
(ii) With or without part (i) I think it is correct to look at your hand before deciding. At the extreme, obviously you raise a strong 1NT to 3NT with 5432 AQx KJ10 KJ10 and you look for a spade fit with KJ10x Axx xxx Axx.

#11 User is online   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2012-March-21, 15:53

Opposite a 1N, I will always bid 3N with a good 12+ hcp and any 4333.

I will also bid it with 11 if my major is weak...say Qxxx or worse.

This is because I have seen a number of hands in which 3N is cold and 4M is defeated by a bad trump break....and this is more likely to happen when we have weak trump than strong.

On a bad day, partner is 5332 and we miss a 9 card major fit, but even so we will usually make 3N and lose only an imp or two.

With most 11's and virtually all 9+-10's I use stayman since opener will be 4432 more frequently than 4333. The exceptions on the 9-11 are when the major is abysmal.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#12 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2012-March-21, 18:57

View PostFrancesHinden, on 2012-March-21, 15:43, said:

At the extreme, obviously you raise a strong 1NT to 3NT with 5432 AQx KJ10 KJ10 and you look for a spade fit with KJ10x Axx xxx Axx.

I don't think that this is obvious at all. In fact I would always bid 3NT with the second hand you gave, and I was so surprised that you considered it obvious to look for a spade fit that I did a double dummy simulation.

On 400 hands where opener has a balanced hand with 15-17 points and exactly 4 spades, 3NT makes 91% of the time (365 hands) and 4S 85% of the time (340 hands). I don't know if that is statistically relevant (I'll do a larger search right away), but it's certainly not clear that searching for a 4-4 spade fit is obvious. Especially since on the hands where opener has fewer than 4 spades you will only lose by giving away information.

To get a definite answer one would need a large high-level single dummy simulation that also takes into account what the available methods are, how much information is exchanged, and how often opener will open 1NT with a 5-card major. It seems a very complicated question to me, and in the meantime I will follow mikeh's suggestion to bid 3NT with 4333 12-counts.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#13 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2012-March-21, 19:05

I redid the simulation, now with 2000 hands. 3NT makes on 89% of the hands, 4S on 83% of the hands. So maybe it is obvious that we should bid 3NT.

- hrothgar

#14 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2012-March-21, 19:22

What's also interesting is that against 3NT the lead matters more. A standard feature in dealmaster pro is that, only for the hands where the contract can be beaten, it keeps track of from how many suits the best lead is. These are the results:

Against 3NT:

1 suit: 115
2 suits: 23
3 suits: 57
4 suits: 28

Against 4S:

1 suit: 60
2 suits: 36
3 suits: 116
4 suits: 132

So to paraphrase, against 4S it doesn't matter too much what they lead, but against 3NT they'd better lead the right suit. Another argument not to investigate too much when we very likely heading towards 3NT.

A well known Dutch bridge player once said: "if you are deciding whether to play 3NT or 4M and the hand looks suitable for 3NT, then bid 4M. But if you think your hand is better for 4M, pass." I don't know what he meant, this was before my time. But perhaps awm's robotic rule is not as stupid as Frances makes it sound.

- hrothgar

#15 User is offline   Siegmund 

• Alchemist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Creator of the 'grbbridge' LaTeX typesetting package.

Posted 2012-March-21, 19:27

"Never" is an excellent robotic rule, re bidding Stayman on 4333, and almost as good re bidding Puppet on 3334.

#16 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-21, 22:06

I redid the simulation, now with 2000 hands. 3NT makes on 89% of the hands, 4S on 83% of the hands. So maybe it is obvious that we should bid 3NT.

Also 3N makes more often in real life than double dummy suggest while 4M doesn't (at least not that often). This is because 1st lead vs 3N very often let the contract make.
I can't prove that but I did a lot of simulations and a lot of digging through the hands to be confident about it.

EDIT: thinking about it I could pull vugraph hands for which I have dd resutls calculated and compare how often 3N make comparing to dd and how often 4M makes comparing to dd if opening was 1N. I will do that later, should be interesting.

#17 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2012-March-22, 02:31

There is actually quite a useful gadget (Stayman in Doubt = SID) that can sort this out for you if you desire. I actually still use a form of modified SID in my preferred non-Puppet methods but this is pretty much only used to set the major and start a slam auction. With (43)33 I almost always just bid 3NT. That said my first choice is Puppet over both 1NT and 2NT. Now it is closer and there is value in asking and playing in 4M if there is a 5-4 fit. Cyber posted a hand recently which was of this type. With 33(34) I would normally never choose to use Puppet - you are giving the defenders additional information for next to no gain.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#18 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-22, 10:16

I like SID a lot. It is easy to incorporate into our system. We use 1NT-2; 2M-3 as an artificial game force with support for the major. It is either a slam try, or SID (or both, i.e. a hand that only wants to investigate slam if opener wants to play in the major). So, in our case, SID doesn't really take up bidding space.

The drawback is that you have had an informative auction if you get to 3NT. The advantage is that you get to 4M when you belong there.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#19 User is offline   EricK 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-22, 11:26

I generally just bid 3N with this sort of hand. IMO, the chance of finding a 4-4 fit which plays better than 3N are outweighed by a. the chance of finding a fit which plays worse than 3N, b. the benefits (both on opening lead and later in the hand) of keeping opener's distribution entirely hidden, and c. the chance that 4th hand can make a useful lead directing double or bid.

#20 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2012-March-22, 11:48

I'm a big fan of 1NT-3NT auctions giving little info to the defenders so I basically never Stayman with 4333 unless playing with a pard who is very fond of opening somewhat offshape 1NT's.

.. neilkaz ..

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users