Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Vanderbilt scores

#1 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-March-21, 06:25

I am amazed how bad job ACBL is doing presenting Vanderbilt results.
I mean, here in Poland, small country somewhere in Europe with no money in bridge what so over we have live scores, travellers, histories of every pair etc. from most regional tournaments let alone national available on the internet live. You can browse through protocols and see who played what etc. many months after tournaments.
You can see an example from recent Polish Woman CHampionship:
Results: http://www.pzbs.pl/w...kobiet/mpk.html
Overall: http://www.pzbs.pl/w...biet/W-mpk.html (you can click pairs number to see that pair history and navigate to every board)

This is standard here and about every TD is capable of running this system to make those available on the internet live during tournament or with some delay (depending on circumstances)

And what we have in ACBL world ? I click ACBL website, finding anything about one of the biggest tournament in the world is hard, it's like the tournament is not played at all. What about travellers ? Nickell won in 3 sets... Normally I would be able to see the hands and scores to see how the big pick ups looked - not in America.
This is to be honest pathetic in this day and age for the biggest bridge organization and the most prestigious tournament.
Same with recent Lall-Hamman score. What about travellers, histories ? I and many bridge fans would be delighted to see on what hands they made good results that would be great material for discussion usually it's one click away if I want results from some regional one session tournament here. What about the biggest 3 day matchpoint game in America ? Nothing.

Thanks for Bridge Winners crew for trying to make up for that at least presenting imp scores.

#2 User is offline   jmcw 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-March-21, 06:31

The ACBL is an amazing organization.

Thanks BridgeWinners

#3 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-March-21, 09:48

You can see the recaps online for the pairs events. I have a lot of friends playing in Memphis so I check how they are doing on a regular basis. Game times are at 1:00 and 7:30. The afternoon recaps are generally posted around the start time of the second session. This is good, but not good enough IMO.

If I'm at dinner between sessions, I think it would be nice to pull up the recaps on my I-phone so I could check the scores before the start of the next session. This allows me to get out of the game to get a seat at a restaurant.

When I ran a club last year, I would upload the results to the unit's website. The game would get over at about 4:00 and I would have the results uploaded by 4:15. We had a good webmaster and it was very easy for the directors to do this. A player could generally see the results by the time they got home.

Here is what I consider the gold standard of online recaps. I played with a student in Palm Desert yesterday afternoon, and I thought this format was fantastic. Check this out: Duncan Bridge center

The site is easy to navigate, and you can see the hand records and your results.

Can you see the hand records for the NABC pair events? Sure, about a month after the tournament. :angry:

Oh, and don't get me started about the scores reporting for the major team events.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#4 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-21, 11:23

View Postbluecalm, on 2012-March-21, 06:25, said:

This is to be honest pathetic in this day and age for the biggest bridge organization and the most prestigious tournament.

The ACBL could learn a lot from USBC and others about how to do a better job of covering bridge tournaments.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#5 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-March-21, 14:24

And Bridgewinners is really having problems since it tried to "improve".

It is incredibly slow and difficult to navigate; and there is nobody to explain when it will get better because the links to contact them are broken.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#6 User is offline   eyhung 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:bridge, poker, literature, boardgames, computers, classical music, baseball, history

Posted 2012-March-21, 16:08

Hi, I'm an administrator for Bridge Winners. I'm surprised to hear that the contact links are broken, we get feedback on a daily basis from many other users. If those don't work for you, you can email us directly at support@bridgewinners.com.

We're launching first-time code to cover the Vanderbilt and there were some problems in the code that caused the performance to be very slow. Some of these performance issues should be gone now.
Eugene Hung

#7 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-21, 18:07

deleted
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#8 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-21, 22:29

View Posteyhung, on 2012-March-21, 16:08, said:

Hi, I'm an administrator for Bridge Winners. I'm surprised to hear that the contact links are broken, we get feedback on a daily basis from many other users. If those don't work for you, you can email us directly at support@bridgewinners.com.

We're launching first-time code to cover the Vanderbilt and there were some problems in the code that caused the performance to be very slow. Some of these performance issues should be gone now.

I tried all day to get on the site and it said it does not like my browser which I think is windows 7 ands kept telling me to switch to google or something else.

I never had an issue before.

#9 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-22, 01:51

I don't get the ACBL either. At my local bridge club, the results are on the internet 5 minutes after the game ended. At that point the players retreat to the bar and take out their tablet PCs to discuss the boards.

I sometimes have the idea that in the ACBL players still use a pen.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#10 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-March-22, 10:47

View Posteyhung, on 2012-March-21, 16:08, said:

Apparently there is a volume (backlog) at "support". Anyway, I really liked Bridgewinners before the improvements; and will keep trying to enjoy it. Until things get better, I will just practice patience.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#11 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2012-March-22, 18:31

View PostTrinidad, on 2012-March-22, 01:51, said:

I don't get the ACBL either. At my local bridge club, the results are on the internet 5 minutes after the game ended. At that point the players retreat to the bar and take out their tablet PCs to discuss the boards.

I sometimes have the idea that in the ACBL players still use a pen.

Rik

Yeah, we get full hand records with leads made, contracts reached, deep finesse analysis and tricks taken on all tables along with imps or matchpoints in/out, which can be displayed in a couple of different ways usually within 15 minutes of the last table finishing at the club (director checks scores, posts the results, handles any disputes then wacks it up online).

It's really good because you can see your dumb boards at a glance, discuss what you did and then you're done.

Results from a recent butler IMPs comp: http://www.bridge-cl...0,213216,213217

Click on a pair to see the detailed breakdown

#12 User is offline   Aberlour10 

• Vugrapholic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-23, 09:58

2cents not about publishing of scores but the real scoring in the current tournament. I think this is the first Vanderbilt ever with no #1- #6 seeded teams in quarterfinals. If anybody would predict it before the tournament started, we would all think he is crazy ;-)
Preempts are Aberlour's best bridge friends

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users