#101 User is offline   squealydan 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:most sport
    being in the great outdoors
    the daily show / colbert

Posted 2012-April-04, 15:52

View PostTrinidad, on 2012-April-04, 08:48, said:

You set up four rows of tables. The rows start with table numbers Open 1, Open 11, Closed 1 and Closed 11. These tables share the red board set 1-8. At O2, O12, C2 and C12, they will use the blue board set 1-8. At O3, O13, C3 and C13 they use the green board set 1-8. I think you get the picture.

I'd do it slightly differently. If playing 8 board sets, then four tables share one set of boards which live in the middle between the four tables - so in your example O1, O11, O2 and O12 would share boards, as would C1,C11,C2 and C12. One player per table collects the boards, one at a time - they won't have to move more than two steps to get them. You don't need caddies or anyone else moving boards from table to table, and setting the boards out between rounds is less onerous since all 8 just go to and from central tables. You do need a room large enough to allow the right shape...

View PostPhil, on 2012-April-04, 13:59, said:

As a player, if I had to choose between hand records and having to share boards with multiple tables (like in a relay bye-stand movement that so many directors seem to favor), or having to make the boards and having no records, then I would opt for the latter.

As McBruce wrote earlier, folk obviously just like what they're used to. I haven't played a session's bridge without pre-duplicated boards in about seven years, and can't imagine anything different.

#102 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-April-04, 16:43

View Postblackshoe, on 2012-April-04, 10:26, said:

What if they're busy gossiping in the kitchen? Around here that often seems more important than actually paying attention to the playing room.

Our directors are pretty busy. If you see them standing or (occasionally) sitting together, it is extremely likely that they are consulting on a ruling.

Anyway, these four-table-share movements are sweet I guess, but what purpose do they serve? To ensure that if someone puts the cards in back incorrectly there is a reasonable chance that both tables in a match will play it the same way? Doesn't seem worth worrying about.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#103 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-04, 16:54

View PostVampyr, on 2012-April-04, 16:43, said:

Anyway, these four-table-share movements are sweet I guess, but what purpose do they serve? To ensure that if someone puts the cards in back incorrectly there is a reasonable chance that both tables in a match will play it the same way?

Actually, it's not that likely to do that because people usually misboard after they've played the hand. It would help with when the board was misdealt to begin with, but that's a very rare occurrence indeed.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#104 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-April-04, 18:27

View Postgordontd, on 2012-April-04, 16:54, said:

Actually, it's not that likely to do that because people usually misboard after they've played the hand. It would help with when the board was misdealt to begin with, but that's a very rare occurrence indeed.

Right, I was going to say one match, but then I thought of the tables-in-a-square arrangement and realised that depending on the order the boards were played in, there is a chance for four valid comparisons. "Reasonable" was left over from when I was going to say one match. :(
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#105 User is offline   Elianna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-04, 22:13

View Postthe hog, on 2012-April-03, 02:39, said:

Surely you have curtain cards in the card slots so that each player checks that what she picks up is the actual hand that was pre dealt. With all due respects, a lack of prre dealt boards and hand records really is a display of amateurism that is perhaps acceptable at club levels but not any higher than that.

Considering the scandal that happened in Israel several years ago with curtain cards, I'd rather not have them here.

We have our own cheating scandals.
My addiction to Mario Bros #3 has come back!

#106 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-05, 03:25

View Postsquealydan, on 2012-April-04, 15:52, said:

I'd do it slightly differently. If playing 8 board sets, then four tables share one set of boards which live in the middle between the four tables - so in your example O1, O11, O2 and O12 would share boards, as would C1,C11,C2 and C12. One player per table collects the boards, one at a time - they won't have to move more than two steps to get them. You don't need caddies or anyone else moving boards from table to table, and setting the boards out between rounds is less onerous since all 8 just go to and from central tables. You do need a room large enough to allow the right shape...

That is the way we run our teams competitions at the club, with a playing TD.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#107 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-05, 04:19

View PostElianna, on 2012-April-04, 22:13, said:

Considering the scandal that happened in Israel several years ago with curtain cards, I'd rather not have them here.

Do tell :)
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#108 User is offline   Oof Arted 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-April-05, 12:23

View Postgordontd, on 2012-April-05, 04:19, said:

Aint we got enough here Gordon ??

#109 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-April-05, 18:38

View PostOof Arted, on 2012-April-05, 12:23, said:

Aint we got enough here Gordon ??

I was dying to ask but was a bit shy.

#110 User is offline   Elianna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-05, 18:57

View Postgordontd, on 2012-April-05, 04:19, said:

A player was caught going around looking at curtain cards in boards. It was at least 7 years ago (but perhaps more, I'm basing it on counting backwards from visits there). Perhaps our actual Israeli members have more detail about it. (The only more detail I have is identifying info, which I do not want to share.)

#111 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2012-April-05, 21:14

View PostElianna, on 2012-April-04, 22:13, said:

What was that scandal?
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#112 User is offline   Elianna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-05, 23:33

View Postthe hog, on 2012-April-05, 21:14, said:

What was that scandal?

Read the post above yours.

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users