• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cheating?

#1 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-March-19, 18:11

From MickyB:

There was a UK player who was known for making remarkable plays as declarer, despite not seeming to be that good. He was caught when he used the same hand twice and they both got reported to Patrick Jourdain!

That's not quite what happened. Jourdain recognised the hand as one played many years ago by Garozzo. What I don't understand in the thread that is locked is, when you are using hand-dealt boards (!?!), how can you get UI? Preparing a board even when the CoC are so lax seems a) hard in a prestigious event and b) pointless when you are losing by loads. I think that maybe the player just guessed, looking for a big swing.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#2 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-20, 02:07

View PostVampyr, on 2012-March-19, 18:11, said:

From MickyB:

That's not quite what happened. Jourdain recognised the hand as one played many years ago by Garozzo. What I don't understand in the thread that is locked is, when you are using hand-dealt boards (!?!), how can you get UI? Preparing a board even when the CoC are so lax seems a) hard in a prestigious event and b) pointless when you are losing by loads. I think that maybe the player just guessed, looking for a big swing.

Prepping a board is not that hard if you practice, I'm sure S2000magic could pull it off without too much extra prep, and I think most clever card mechanics could do it with a bit of extra practice.

I've seen people deal sorted decks, at full speed and without looking at the cards, so that the hand is whatever they want. This was demonstrated for me at an NABC (but he was following the printout). I have no doubt he could have actually dealt the cards in another manner had he wished.

As to being pointless? Yes, I think the game is pointless when cheating, but many people do not. Pointless when you're losing anyways--every little bit helps.
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#3 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-March-20, 02:29

View PostBunnyGo, on 2012-March-20, 02:07, said:

I've seen people deal sorted decks, at full speed and without looking at the cards, so that the hand is whatever they want. This was demonstrated for me at an NABC (but he was following the printout). I have no doubt he could have actually dealt the cards in another manner had he wished.

I wonder... I can deal the cards pretty smartish too when there is a printout... I have never thought about whether I could deal a wanted hand, but I suppose it would be like holding the printout in your head.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#4 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-20, 10:24

My bridge teacher turned in his partner at a sectional at a Swiss Teams - he was coming to the table early, and sticking in cold decks. From Kelsey. "It's not that bad, the other declarer just has to make the correct play..."

I can and do deal hands from printouts from sorted decks, but it's obvious I'm stacking it - the order of the cards into hands is totally different. I also know that it would be possible for any decent card magician to be a big winner at hand-dealt teams, just by controlling two or three cards. Imagine if you guessed K-J split right 80% of the time, and two-way finesses for the Q were automatic unless you chose to do it wrong - on 1/4 of the hands. It's one of the reasons that when I started to take bridge seriously, I stopped practising my card magic.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#5 User is offline   pigpenz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-20, 10:37

There was an ACBL lawsuit or suspension several years ago, someone was accussed of dealing off the bottom of the deck, he contended he dealt that
way cause he had a deformity. funny last night I was reading the book by Terrence Reese on his response to the Argentina 1965 Bridge Scandal after
reading the book by Truscott on it last week....two different point of views.

#6 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-20, 10:49

That's not quite what happened. Jourdain recognised the hand as one played many years ago by Garozzo.

These stories get changed a little with each telling, yet everyone seems certain their version is the correct one.

I think that maybe the player just guessed, looking for a big swing.

Since he confessed to it, it's hard to see how you can dispute it now.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#7 User is offline   ahh 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-March-20, 16:19

my recollection from magazine reports at time was that in the bad old days boards were dealt at table so in swiss events he arrived early with a predealt hand that he dealt. It was always a great play so he was rated to gain 13 imps or so - a good start in a short match. He was caught when the same hand was used twice in different events. He admitted his wrongdoing and was dealt with by the WBU. Sadly his partner who was totally exonerated of any wrong doing died very shortly thereafter.

#8 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-March-20, 16:34

View Postgordontd, on 2012-March-20, 10:49, said:

These stories get changed a little with each telling, yet everyone seems certain their version is the correct one.

I guess, but at the time it seemed pretty clear that Jourdain remembered the deal from a magazine. It seems a little implausible anyway that he would have come across the hand-dealt board twice.

We are lucky, really. In the other thread the ACBL event was a serious event, yet they were using hand-dealt boards. I am glad that these are a thing of the (distant) past in the EBU.

#9 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-22, 08:04

View Postmycroft, on 2012-March-20, 10:24, said:

My bridge teacher turned in his partner at a sectional at a Swiss Teams - he was coming to the table early, and sticking in cold decks.

That why the rules require a member of each team at the table before anybody starts dealing.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#10 User is offline   pigpenz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-22, 09:24

View Postblackshoe, on 2012-March-22, 08:04, said:

That why the rules require a member of each team at the table before anybody starts dealing.

I remember back at a Regional in Chicago back in 1977
we started to make the hands after the break and our opps asked us to redeal ones we had just dealt.
We said ok, but you know we are both 0-4 and playing in the consolation

#11 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-March-22, 09:32

View Postpigpenz, on 2012-March-22, 09:24, said:

I remember back at a Regional in Chicago back in 1977
we started to make the hands after the break and our opps asked us to redeal ones we had just dealt.
We said ok, but you know we are both 0-4 and playing in the consolation

For West Coast regionals, the directors enforce the clock. Much better than matchpoint events, oddly enough.

To save time, I will start making boards before the other pair arrives, and they are generally grateful. If someone objected, I would say no problem and start the process over.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#12 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-March-23, 09:05

Me, too.

The way to get away with it is to talk about having made the hands up the way you like -- no one is going to expect you to do it and joke about it. :)

#13 User is offline   Oof Arted 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-March-28, 01:59

View Postgordontd, on 2012-March-20, 10:49, said:

Since he confessed to it, it's hard to see how you can dispute it now.

From memory the Hand in question was Pre-dealt by the offender and then merely substituted into the board Easy if you stack it N E S W take off top 13 each time

Found because they had decided to mark the packs put out and of course this pack was found to be unmarked

#14 User is offline   mrdct 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-28, 02:14

What's this dealing thing that people are talking about? Doesn't everyone just play the cards as the come out of the board?
Disclaimer: The above post may be a half-baked sarcastic rant intended to stimulate discussion and it does not necessarily coincide with my own views on this topic.
I bidding the suit below the suit I'm actually showing not to be described as a "transfer" for the benefit of people unfamiliar with the concept of a transfer

#15 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-28, 04:06

View PostOof Arted, on 2012-March-28, 01:59, said:

From memory the Hand in question was Pre-dealt by the offender and then merely substituted into the board Easy if you stack it N E S W take off top 13 each time

Found because they had decided to mark the packs put out and of course this pack was found to be unmarked

As I say, these stories change a bit with each telling.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#16 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-March-28, 09:30

View Postgordontd, on 2012-March-28, 04:06, said:

As I say, these stories change a bit with each telling.

The version I heard was that two different articles were sent to Bridge Magazine, about two different events, but featuring the same hand. I heard that from the editor of Bridge Magazine, so it must be true.

mrdct said:

What's this dealing thing that people are talking about? Doesn't everyone just play the cards as the come out of the board?

I expect they do now, but this was in 1999.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#17 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-March-28, 18:10

View Postmrdct, on 2012-March-28, 02:14, said:

You'd be surprised -- I have played in a number of places in Europe where they use hand-dealt boards for Swiss teams. With Victory Points.

#18 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-March-28, 21:49

We still use hand dealing in most team games in ACBL.

#19 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2012-March-28, 22:45

View Postmrdct, on 2012-March-28, 02:14, said:

In the ACBL we pay ~$10 per match for the pleasure of dealing our own cards and foregoing the hand records.

#20 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-March-28, 22:47

It's the price we pay for getting to play bridge in what used to be the greatest democracy in the world. :)

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users