Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

lead-directing raise of weak 2

#1 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-March-19, 11:26

I can't remember the last time I needed to force with 3C over partner's weak two, but it seems like I frequently wind up raising this weak two and then partner doesn't know whether it's safe to lead his suit or not. Wouldn't it be worthwhile to sacrifice such a bid? Say (for example) that a 3C response shows Qx or better. The bigger downside to it is that it gives the opponents another tempo. Also wondering whether transfers might be better. Say I open 2S and partner bids 3D as a heart transfer. Comments?

#2 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-March-19, 11:56

I think this is OK especially in conjunction with transfers, but I would want to make the call 'one under' just to maximize the preemptiveness of a single raise. Its also useful that the call can be Ax or Kx so partner can underlead and even give a SP card if necessary.

I've toyed around with using 2N over a takeout double as either some sort of constructive raise or a anti-lead director similar to McCabe.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#3 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-20, 05:59

A couple of weeks ago Frances wrote about her transfer-based scheme of responding to a weak two. This might be a good starting point for you even though it does not address your core concern about showing a high honour in the suit.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users