BBO Discussion Forums: LaTeX package for typesetting bridge related stuff - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

LaTeX package for typesetting bridge related stuff testers/ideas welcome

#1 User is offline   antonylee 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-March-18, 19:05

Here it is:
https://github.com/anntzer/bridge-tex

This is still in beta stage, and ideas are welcome :-)

#2 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-March-20, 09:56

Maybe you could produce a Demo PDF showing off what it can do? Might help people decide whether they want to take a closer look. ;)
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#3 User is offline   antonylee 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-20, 12:07

I'm learning to use github at the same time :P
bridge.pdf is now available in the downloads section, I will update the README to reflect that.

#4 User is offline   Siegmund 

• Alchemist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Creator of the 'grbbridge' LaTeX typesetting package.

Posted 2012-March-20, 19:09

Nice to know I am not the only one using LaTeX for bridge.

I also have developed a package, mostly for my own use. You are welcome to examine it and borrow anything from it you find useful / mix and match between our approaches:

http://taigabridge.n...x/grbbridge.sty

http://taigabridge.n...ge_features.pdf

#5 User is offline   antonylee 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-21, 02:27

Well, your package is definitely more impressive than mine :) I see that we both use the same xstring package for underlying work...
Do you intend on releasing your work on CTAN? I mostly started my project because all that CTAN currently has is a couple of TeX macros which aren't very fancy.

#6 User is offline   Bende 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-21, 02:41

I use Latex for typesetting my system notes, which works very well. Also, I just found the baposter package, which is great for typesetting convention cards.

#7 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-21, 02:58

Hi,

nice thread, if I find time, I will have a look.

With kind regards
Marlowe

Latex links

http://www.jeff-goldsmith.org/

Maybe someone has a link to the Latex Package developed by
Rene Steiner.
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#8 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-21, 04:42

René Steiner's website has been offline since the beginning of 2011. Fortunately for you, I rescued its contents. :P

http://bridge.mgoetz.../en/latex.shtml
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#9 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-21, 04:44

Anyway, does anyone have a decent approximation of a WBF convention card in LaTeX?
    -- Bertrand Russell

#10 User is offline   antonylee 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-21, 11:47

I particularly like the way the alerts are printed in R.S.'s package.

For the WBF CC, google gave me https://github.com/Pet3ris/latex-cc which seems simple and efficient.

#11 User is offline   Siegmund 

• Alchemist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-21, 23:29

Yes, the xstring package was a godsend. I tried to do this with only ifthen some years ago, ran into all sorts of errors I couldn't understand, considered settling for \hand{spades}{hearts}{diamonds}{clubs} but hated the four sets of brackets, beat my head against trying to learn enough plain TeX to handle strings myself...

I havent really given much thought one way or the other to a CTAN distribution. It seems like quite a small market, and my LaTeX is somewhat less than professional... I ought to tidy up quite a few things in the code before I published it widely, not to mention finishing a couple things I never did get done (a 2-hand auction, and a nice facility for labelling example hands, so that I could have "Opener", 'Responder A", "Responder B", "Responder C" side by side, for a bidding lesson handout for instance.)

Partly I was waiting to see what variations on my initial product I had a need for - so I could, for instance, make my most frequently-used format of auction "\auction" and my second-most-frequently used "\auction*". I didnt really try to build an environment to automatically typeset alerts under or beside auctions mostly because I havent decided what I would want one to look like if I did.

I do feel, philosophically, that things like a box around the outside of the auction or hand diagram shouldn't be part of the base command, but either a new command or just use \fbox around the base command. But everyone has their own idea what they want.

#12 User is offline   lawduck 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-August-18, 11:04

Bump! Where we at with this stuff? I've been trying to figure out how to get WordPress to read LaTEX bridge macros and failing miserably.

#13 User is offline   Siegmund 

• Alchemist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-19, 23:32

Know nothing about WordPress, but I would guess most of the web apps you see to allow you to convert single math formulas from LaTeX to HTML do not have "real" LaTeX compilers behind them, but are scripts someone has written to interpret many of the basic built-in commands. I would expect most of them to fail if confronted with a single user-defined command, and all of them to fail if you asked them to do something requiring a special package.

I expect your choices are either writing your own bridge-related conversion script (handling the suit symbols and converting tabular environments into HTML tables will get you 90% of the way there probably), or seeing what happens if you use one of the general-purpose LaTeX to HTML converters out there. I have no experience with htlatex, tex2html, or their variations, though: it's not a conversion I have to do very often.

#14 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-25, 01:04

I think common tex bundles include good conversion to/from pdf, ps, html and others. http://www.ctan.org/pkg/latex2html should work for most, although the HTML source code may not be pretty.

#15 User is offline   Siegmund 

• Alchemist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-28, 19:10

The quality of the conversion is highly variable, depending on the package.

tth fails entirely - chokes on user-defined commands as undefined commands. latex2html will have the same basic problem, though more curable, in that you can teach it how to interpret user-defined commands by writing translation routines in perl for it.

tex4ht sort of succeeds. For files written using 'grbbridge', htlatex filename.tex works quite well on everything except spade bids (!). It chokes on the fact that \sp is a synonym for the math mode superscript symbol, and turns \sp{4} into '^4' rather than '4' despite the \renewcommand in my package.

I expect other custom packages will have a similar experience.

#16 User is offline   zenbiddist 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-November-23, 23:50

Hi all. My friend and I are using Latex to produce a bridge bulletin, and our next challenge is trying to embed BBO Handviewer diagrams (like this one, with play included).
Has anyone successfully done this?

Thanks.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users