• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Open-source GIB An idea I've been toying with

#21 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-March-21, 07:09

What happens then when GIB sees the opponents bidding normally (say, 1M-2NT and continuations)? It won't be able to simulate anything meaningful, since the hands would be a mystery to it.

#22 User is offline   cloa513 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-21, 15:48

No different from GIB as it is now. GIB rarely plays against humans (only as stopgap in express tournaments or in hand but you have to crazy to do that) only GIBs or GIB and a human so that bidding sequence won't come up unless the human is suicidal.

#23 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-March-25, 02:38

View Postcloa513, on 2012-March-21, 07:01, said:

Ie. it was sloopily put together, GIB should have a response for every standard sequence- e.g I'd have limited the opening responses over 1 suit openings to 6 (not include Soloway or complex bids), nearest suit bid or 1NT or raise 1 or 2 and make sure those sequences are reasonably complete and absolute- GIB should never be erratic with a reverse bid. 1D,1S,2H and use simulations to cover the gaps not simulations for every single bid which can override the bookbid.

Do you really think it's feasible to define meanings for every possible sequence? There are millions of combinations, particularly when competitive auctions are involved.

Humans don't have this problem because we learn basic principles and then use logic and creativity to apply them in different situations. But that's not how GIB works, it needs precise rules for everything. And the language and structure in which the GIB bidding rules are written makes it very difficult to tell whether all the cases are covered.

Even the simulations depend on rules. When it's deciding which bids to include in the simulation, it looks for rules that match hands similar to the one it has. And it has to know what the simulated bids show so it can determine how partner will respond to each of them.

Despite the fact that the "I" in GIB stands for "Intelligent", it isn't really. Like many forms of AI, it just fakes it. It's like Watson, the computer that played Jeopardy: it's really just a very fancy search engine, looking for entries in its database that match the most keywords in the clue.

Competent bridge bidding is an incredibly difficult task, making use of some of the features of the human mind that are unique to our species: language, complex planning, and empathy. Teaching a computer to do this is the holy grail of AI.

#24 User is offline   cloa513 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-25, 03:39

View Postbarmar, on 2012-March-25, 02:38, said:

Do you really think it's feasible to define meanings for every possible sequence? There are millions of combinations, particularly when competitive auctions are involved.

Humans don't have this problem because we learn basic principles and then use logic and creativity to apply them in different situations. But that's not how GIB works, it needs precise rules for everything. And the language and structure in which the GIB bidding rules are written makes it very difficult to tell whether all the cases are covered.

Even the simulations depend on rules. When it's deciding which bids to include in the simulation, it looks for rules that match hands similar to the one it has. And it has to know what the simulated bids show so it can determine how partner will respond to each of them.

Despite the fact that the "I" in GIB stands for "Intelligent", it isn't really. Like many forms of AI, it just fakes it. It's like Watson, the computer that played Jeopardy: it's really just a very fancy search engine, looking for entries in its database that match the most keywords in the clue.

Competent bridge bidding is an incredibly difficult task, making use of some of the features of the human mind that are unique to our species: language, complex planning, and empathy. Teaching a computer to do this is the holy grail of AI.

I don't say that at all. You should try reading what I write. I said limit the number of sequences and then make sure all those are well defined and it doesn't have to be a complete chain at some point with enough information GIB can just simulate the best place for the contract or partner signs off in the right place.

A lot of problems with GIB is because it is creative in a bad way- those simulations used instead of bidding tables (noone expects amazing bidding from a computer program).
Good human player do simulations in their head so there is really no difference.

#25 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-March-26, 23:31

Simulations aren't used in most low-level rounds of auctions. Normal opening bids and responses are pretty well defined using rules. Simulations are needed mostly for competitive auctions and high level decisions.

#26 User is offline   cloa513 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-27, 00:59

View Postbarmar, on 2012-March-26, 23:31, said:

Simulations aren't used in most low-level rounds of auctions. Normal opening bids and responses are pretty well defined using rules. Simulations are needed mostly for competitive auctions and high level decisions.

People would like simulations never used in low-level rounds of auctions if there is a clear bidding rule use that not a simulation.

#27 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-March-27, 16:16

View Postcloa513, on 2012-March-27, 00:59, said:

People would like simulations never used in low-level rounds of auctions if there is a clear bidding rule use that not a simulation.

That's essentially how it work. Each bidding rule includes a flag stating whether simulations are allowed, required, or prohibited. Most of the low-level rounds have clear bidding rules with simulations prohibited.

#28 User is offline   xxhong 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-March-27, 16:59

I hope this work will be extended to higher levels in the future, which is important IMO.

View Postbarmar, on 2012-March-27, 16:16, said:

That's essentially how it work. Each bidding rule includes a flag stating whether simulations are allowed, required, or prohibited. Most of the low-level rounds have clear bidding rules with simulations prohibited.

#29 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-March-27, 22:34

View Postxxhong, on 2012-March-27, 16:59, said:

I hope this work will be extended to higher levels in the future, which is important IMO.

Probably not. Whenever I mention it to Fred, he says that high level auctions, like slam decisions and whether to double 5-level bids, cannot generally be handled with rules. They require judgement, and GIB uses simulations in place of judgement.

In general, any auction that would cause a human expert to go into the tank cannot be programmed with rules.

#30 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-28, 01:57

Strongly agree with Fred about the need for simulations. In particular, when the value of the hand must be re-evaluated in the face of other players bidding, simulations are needed.

I suppose one could make a hand-evaluation formula which explicitly devaluates honors opposite partner's singleton. But how to upgrade honors in the minor suit partner has opened? It is not guaranteed that partner has length/strength in the suit, but your own holding and/or opps bidding may make it likely.

And how to assess whether a single stopper in opps' suit is enough for a 3NT bid? I can't imagine making rules for that.

That said, GIB sometimes suffers from statistical flukes in short simulation series, and I have wondered if some baysian approach might work: make rules that provide a prior for the number of total points for each alternative action, and then use simulations to update the prior.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#31 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-28, 09:27

Simulations are most valuable in situations in which the auction rates to terminate soon and there are only a small number of ways that the bidding can logically continue. Some examples include auctions in which the trump suit has been agreed and partner has invited game (presumably you will either Pass or bid game and then partner will Pass) and auctions in which choice of games is the issue (presumably you will bid some game contract and partner will Pass). Obviously it is the case that the more narrowly various hands have been defined when the time comes to simulate, the more effective the simulation rates to be.

The more the auction can branch out the less valuable simulations become. For example, it doesn't make any sense to me to simulate in order to decide between making a 1-level overcall and making a takeout double - it is not realistic to try to predict "what will happen next" with any accuracy even if the sample size is relatively large. Rules tend to be much more effective than simulations in such areas and of course they also produce more consistent actions from GIB (which I suspect is important to many users).

Handling freak hands via rules can be problematic - a significant number of reports of stupid bidding by GIB concern strange hands that are not covered properly by existing rules. Fortunately such hands are relatively rare and we tend to patch up the relevant rule(s) when a freak hand that slips through the cracks is reported. That being said, "rare" is relative. Hundreds of thousands of hands involving GIB are played every day on BBO.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#32 User is offline   xxhong 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-28, 16:40

Slam bidding, especially grandslam bidding, is almost always a matter of trick counting. It is never a matter of the simulation results. Accurate slam bidding can often place the most honors positions and the overall shape. I don't really think simulation can do the job. Now gib sucks big time at deciding how high to bid after 5NT K asking.

Also, I am not only talking about slam biddings. IMO, at least most 3 level biddings should have accurate meanings, All the bids shouldn't contradict each other. It's never a matter of simulation. There are still many bids that lack of accurate definitions. For example: If system says:
1H 1S 2D 3C 3D shows 5+ diamonds, it would be absurd to bid 3D with 4 diamonds just based on a small sample sized simulation. All the cuebids should also have accurate meanings that provides important constraints to slam decisions. Those constraints would lead to successful trick counting. Simulation is so bad in so many ways. It doesn't know bridge is a single dummy game. Therefore if you have AJx vs KTx, it thinks that you have no losers and trick counting tells you that you have 0.5 losers. Also, how seriously you take opps' bidding into account is a difficult AI problem. If you take wrong constraints from opps, you can never achieve the correct bidding or playing results. Many times, I see opps' misbid leads gib to bad finesses in 100% contracts and go down. All such things can be avoided by easy trick counting or totally ignoring opps' bidding in 100% successful situations.

View Postbarmar, on 2012-March-27, 22:34, said:

Probably not. Whenever I mention it to Fred, he says that high level auctions, like slam decisions and whether to double 5-level bids, cannot generally be handled with rules. They require judgement, and GIB uses simulations in place of judgement.

In general, any auction that would cause a human expert to go into the tank cannot be programmed with rules.

#33 User is offline   cloa513 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-29, 03:20

View Posthelene_t, on 2012-March-28, 01:57, said:

Strongly agree with Fred about the need for simulations. In particular, when the value of the hand must be re-evaluated in the face of other players bidding, simulations are needed.

I suppose one could make a hand-evaluation formula which explicitly devaluates honors opposite partner's singleton. But how to upgrade honors in the minor suit partner has opened? It is not guaranteed that partner has length/strength in the suit, but your own holding and/or opps bidding may make it likely.

And how to assess whether a single stopper in opps' suit is enough for a 3NT bid? I can't imagine making rules for that.

That said, GIB sometimes suffers from statistical flukes in short simulation series, and I have wondered if some baysian approach might work: make rules that provide a prior for the number of total points for each alternative action, and then use simulations to update the prior.

You provide a good argument for improving GIB's calculation of Total Points rather than simulations- if you followed that argument you be saying think about what you say not actually what you think I wrong.
TP which should be dynamically calculated as partner's hand and opponents` hands are bid - the fixed standard is awful.

#34 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-March-29, 11:27

View Postxxhong, on 2012-March-28, 16:40, said:

Slam bidding, especially grandslam bidding, is almost always a matter of trick counting.

Saying this over and over doesn't make it true. I think about most of my slam bidding (with robots and humans), and simple trick counting is rarely how I do it. That only works when you have a running suit.

Most of my slam bidding is about trying to figure out how many controls and losers we have. And there's often lots of estimating (or guessing) about whether partner is likely to have a relevant side queen -- unless you have sophisticated agreements, these are hard to pinpoint. Basically, it's about how well the two hands seem to fit together.

#35 User is offline   xxhong 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-29, 12:39

Well, your experience probably just reflects your bidding accuracy in slam bidding area. There is a very important principle in grandslam bidding, bid the grandslam only when you can count 13 tricks (of course, doesn't have to be a sure way, but at least should offer a reasonable play for 13 tricks). I think many good players follow this principle. If gib always pushes to grandslam based on a simulation result that AJx and KTx gives 3 tricks, I call it a huge intrinsic design mistake.

Now gib's bidding is so rough. The other day, I saw gib bid 4S with AKJxxx xxxxx xx - after p(gib) p 1D p 1S 2C(opp) 3S p and we missed a cold 7S (details could be slightly off, but the hand is real). Does the simulation help you? Also, it is a long know bug that gib doesn't really know how to proceed after a partner's splinter bid and often overbid or underbid. All these problems point to bad simulations are really the keys to prevent gib from sound bidding. Actually simulation is very powerful if you can supply good and intelligent constraints set up; large sample size; and careful analysis to avoid double dummy over optimistic evaluations. For now, I still see none of them have been done.

Now, gib's evaluation tool is very limited. It doesn't have a sound loser count scheme to decide how high to bid with distributions. It doesn't have a sound trick counting scheme. All these stuffs should be carefully implemented to improve the performance, because human experts apply all these kind of evaluation techniques in almost every hand. Also, human experts do construct hands and simulate in difficult problems. After years, I still see none of them have been carefully implemented in GIB's code. Also, many bids are badly defined (or not defined) after 3 rounds of biddings. At least, such kind of improvement should be encouraged, not prohibited if BBO is serious about improving gib's bidding performance. It couldn't even make a penalty double against slam contracts with sure defensive tricks in many situations or fails to cash them after making a penalty double. The roots of all these problems are badly designed simulations and naive hand evaluation tools.

View Postbarmar, on 2012-March-29, 11:27, said:

Saying this over and over doesn't make it true. I think about most of my slam bidding (with robots and humans), and simple trick counting is rarely how I do it. That only works when you have a running suit.

Most of my slam bidding is about trying to figure out how many controls and losers we have. And there's often lots of estimating (or guessing) about whether partner is likely to have a relevant side queen -- unless you have sophisticated agreements, these are hard to pinpoint. Basically, it's about how well the two hands seem to fit together.

#36 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-29, 13:41

xxhong - you seem to have a tendency to think the things you assume about GIB are actually FACTs. Like cloa513, you have history of making confident statements of FACT about GIB that are not correct.

Unlike cloa513, you obviously you have some knowledge in terms of both bridge and software. While I appreciate your willingness to report problems and to offer suggestions for improvements (some of which are quite sensible), an attitude adjustment would be appreciated. If you are incapable of that, then please stop commenting on these matters - the style in which you tend to post is not constructive.

We have some very nice and highly-skilled people who are working hard on trying to improve GIB. I am sorry that you do not seem to be satisfied with the progress they are making, but the manner is which you (and a handful of others) criticize their efforts can only serve to demoralize them.

As I am sure you understand, programming a computer to play expert-level bridge is an extremely difficult task (despite the impression you sometimes give that there is not much to it). Please show some respect for the fine people who we have assigned to that task. If you cannot do that then please go away.

And if you really think that you are so much smarter about this than we are (or even if you don't), please feel free to try to write your own bidding program. If you can come up with something that is significantly better than GIB, you might find that we are willing to make you a generous offer.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#37 User is offline   xxhong 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-29, 15:31

I think there are some misunderstandings. First, I am not unsatisfied at all about gib's progresses in recent years. I have been pointing out some of the problems that may be solved in the future. If any programmers feel insulted because of my comments, I regret. I believe my comments have never been pointed to any particular programmers in your company involved in this project. If you are unhappy about my comments on gib, I won't offer any in the future, because it takes a lot of my time.

View Postfred, on 2012-March-29, 13:41, said:

xxhong - you seem to have a tendency to think the things you assume about GIB are actually FACTs. Like cloa513, you have history of making confident statements of FACT about GIB that are not correct.

Unlike cloa513, you obviously you have some knowledge in terms of both bridge and software. While I appreciate your willingness to report problems and to offer suggestions for improvements (some of which are quite sensible), an attitude adjustment would be appreciated. If you are incapable of that, then please stop commenting on these matters - the style in which you tend to post is not constructive.

We have some very nice and highly-skilled people who are working hard on trying to improve GIB. I am sorry that you do not seem to be satisfied with the progress they are making, but the manner is which you (and a handful of others) criticize their efforts can only serve to demoralize them.

As I am sure you understand, programming a computer to play expert-level bridge is an extremely difficult task (despite the impression you sometimes give that there is not much to it). Please show some respect for the fine people who we have assigned to that task. If you cannot do that then please go away.

And if you really think that you are so much smarter about this than we are (or even if you don't), please feel free to try to write your own bidding program. If you can come up with something that is significantly better than GIB, you might find that we are willing to make you a generous offer.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#38 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-March-29, 17:24

And to get back to the original topic of this thread, we've discussed it among ourselves, and we're not interested in open-sourcing GIB. While assistance from the community might be helpful, there are business and practical reasons that we've decided not to go in this direction. I'm not going to go into details, so don't ask.

#39 User is offline   Scarabin 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All types of games especially bridge & war games.
    old bidding systems & computer simulation programming.

Posted 2012-March-29, 22:23

View Postbarmar, on 2012-March-29, 17:24, said:

And to get back to the original topic of this thread, we've discussed it among ourselves, and we're not interested in open-sourcing GIB. While assistance from the community might be helpful, there are business and practical reasons that we've decided not to go in this direction. I'm not going to go into details, so don't ask.

Fair enough, but in "Upgrated GIB" you spoke of adding overriding pragmatic rules to take care of situations like cashing out and where GIB seems to lose its way. Has this also been ruled out?

#40 User is offline   Scarabin 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All types of games especially bridge & war games.
    old bidding systems & computer simulation programming.

Posted 2012-March-30, 23:02

View Postfred, on 2012-March-29, 13:41, said:

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

As long as we do not know exactly how GIB works you must expect us to speculate and often get it wrong. All suggestions can seem destructive but I think xxhong and cloa513 have made contributions which could be used to improve GIB. The same goes for antrax. One of cloa513's questions sticks in my mind and I think merits further investigation: "why do GIB's simulations not cause it to cash out when it has established enough winning tricks?"

Now I am biassed, I want to see a pragmatic reasoning AI become the world champion and purely selfishly I wish you had developed Base lll into Base 17!

Having defended the indefensible for most of my life, I do empathise with Barmar even though he does it much better than I used to.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users