Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

AK Leads

#1 User is offline   Toradin 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-March-14, 20:49

If my partner and I have agreed to lead the ace for attitude and the king for count against suit contracts, should the partner of the opening leader encourage with a small doubleton when the ace is led?

Looking at opening leader's point of view, from which AK holdings would one normally lead the ace or one normally lead the king? A solid holding (AKQ) would normally lead the king, but what about unsupported AK to 3, 4 or 5 cards? Does it matter if it is a suit that has been bid naturally, either by opening leader or opponents? Thanks!

#2 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-March-14, 22:04

yes it's normal to encourage from a doubleton playing this method. most people rarely lead unsupported aces so you assume it's from AK.

the more cards you have, the more likely you are to want count from AK - 5 it would be normal to lead K. 3 and maybe 4, the ace.

if you or your partner often lead unsupported aces you may well be best playing K from AK throughout.

#3 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-14, 22:13

Not arguing the merits of the reply. Merely pointing out that some very fine pairs choose from AK based on the level of the contract, rather than the quantity they hold in the suit.

I am not prepared to state the merits of that agreement either. Just an observation.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#4 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2012-March-15, 04:46

It is also worth considering reversing these to A count, K attitude because with a suit headed by the KQ you want an attitude signal and this allows you to make your natural (K) lead. There are other solutions to this but they tend to require more changes to the lead structure. Most people I know do not give a positive signal with a doubleton but I think both ways are playable and personally would prefer a doubleton being a positive playing Ace for attitude. I have not played it in a while (and have not missed it) but my memory is of doing something similar to what wank suggests - count with 5 or more, attitude with 4 or fewer. As agua hints at, many pairs have different carding agreements for 5 level contracts.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#5 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-March-15, 18:10

View PostZelandakh, on 2012-March-15, 04:46, said:

It is also worth considering reversing these to A count, K attitude because with a suit headed by the KQ you want an attitude signal and this allows you to make your natural (K) lead. There are other solutions to this but they tend to require more changes to the lead structure.

Yes, around here it is not uncommon to play Q from KQ if wanting attitude.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#6 User is offline   Statto 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, but not in conflation.
    Statistics, but not massaged by the media.

Posted 2012-March-15, 21:29

View PostZelandakh, on 2012-March-15, 04:46, said:

It is also worth considering reversing these to A count, K attitude because with a suit headed by the KQ you want an attitude signal and this allows you to make your natural (K) lead. There are other solutions to this but they tend to require more changes to the lead structure. ...

http://www.bridgebas...e-opening-lead/

View Postnigel_k, on 2012-March-10, 03:33, said:

When I play K for count, partner is expected to play the J if they have it. So you lead Q (or small) from KQ alone, but K from KQ10.

A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem – Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users