BBO Discussion Forums: Master points, the laws, the ACBL, that sort of thing... - BBO Discussion Forums

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Master points, the laws, the ACBL, that sort of thing...

#21 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-March-12, 17:46

View Postfred, on 2012-March-12, 15:16, said:

You seem smart enough to understand...

Sorry my mistake.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#22 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-March-13, 00:33

View PostVampyr, on 2012-March-12, 17:40, said:

Good for whom? It is good for the online players, but not for those who see attendance dropping at clubs and tournaments as a result. I think that these are the vast majority of ACBL players, therefore the ones that the ACBL should serve.

While online bridge may be causing f2f bridge attendance to drop (and I'm not even sure it is -- f2f bridge has been dwindling since long before online bridge exploded), I doubt it's the robot games that are the primary cause of it.

#23 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-13, 03:15

View Postbarmar, on 2012-March-13, 00:33, said:

While online bridge may be causing f2f bridge attendance to drop (and I'm not even sure it is -- f2f bridge has been dwindling since long before online bridge exploded), I doubt it's the robot games that are the primary cause of it.

On-line bridge in theory should be a boost to real Bridge. Robots are a good thing for people to practice on line.

Allowing a robot partner for a sanctioned game is where I draw the line. If, because of that, Fred believes I am also not smart enough to understand, so be it.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#24 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-13, 08:12

View Postaguahombre, on 2012-March-13, 03:15, said:

On-line bridge in theory should be a boost to real Bridge. Robots are a good thing for people to practice on line.

Allowing a robot partner for a sanctioned game is where I draw the line. If, because of that, Fred believes I am also not smart enough to understand, so be it.

Actually I am really surprised at where you draw the line. Care to share your reasons?

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#25 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-March-13, 09:06

Fred, if you look at the Memphis agenda, I believe that the District 11 Director, Mr. Wesley Mouch, is proposing the following ACBL legislation:

A Bridge to Peace

Preamble

Bridge in its purist form is a social game meant to be played by humans against humans for the advancement of human understanding. Winning does not mean defeating other people, but rather winning means those persons that exemplify the true spirit of the game.

With this in mind, the following changes are made, effective immediately:

A. All sanctions for games involving mechanical devices such as robots, toasters and hedge-trimmers are hereby cancelled.

B. Bridge is a game meant to be played at a leisurely pace. Part of its enjoyment is the social aspect. Therefore, all Speedball games must have a minimum of 12, and a maximum of 18 minutes for a two-board round. This gives the participants ample time to catch up with each other with their views of "Dancing with the Stars", gives the participants enough time to read the paper travelers, and a quick tinkle.

C. An exemption shall be made to Item "B" above for any vugraph events of ACBL tournaments such as the Vanderbilt and the Spingold. Vugraph is community theater, and is for the benefit of the vugraph audience, not the players. A pace of five minutes per board shall be strictly enforced, and unplayed boards will be played out by GIB like those funny money bridge online contests.

Furthermore, then there is an 'obvious' claim (i.e., GIB says that at least 70% of the cards left will result in making the contract), the DIC shall step in and deem the hand complete. This especially applies to those slow foreign players such as the Dutch with their funny shoes, and to those surly Polish players who were mean to us last year in the regional swiss teams at Paducah.

Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#26 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2012-March-13, 09:13

View PostPhil, on 2012-March-13, 09:06, said:

Fred, if you look at the Memphis agenda, I believe that the District 11 Director, Mr. Wesley Mouch, is proposing the following ACBL legislation:

A Bridge to Peace

Preamble

Bridge in its purist form is a social game meant to be played by humans against humans for the advancement of human understanding. Winning does not mean defeating other people, but rather winning means those persons that exemplify the true spirit of the game.

With this in mind, the following changes are made, effective immediately:

A. All sanctions for games involving mechanical devices such as robots, toasters and hedge-trimmers are hereby cancelled.

B. Bridge is a game meant to be played at a leisurely pace. Part of its enjoyment is the social aspect. Therefore, all Speedball games must have a minimum of 12, and a maximum of 18 minutes for a two-board round. This gives the participants ample time to catch up with each other with their views of "Dancing with the Stars", gives the participants enough time to read the paper travelers, and a quick tinkle.

C. An exemption shall be made to Item "B" above for any vugraph events of ACBL events such as the Vanderbilt and the Spingold. Vugraph is community theater, and is for the benefit of the vugraph audience, not the players. A pace of five minutes per board shall be strictly enforced, and unplayed boards will be played out by GIB like those funny money bridge online contests.

Furthermore, then there is an 'obvious' claim (i.e., GIB says that at least 70% of the cards left will result in making the contract), the DIC shall step in and deem the hand complete. This especially applies to those slow foreign players such as the Dutch with their funny shoes, and to those surly Polish players who were mean to us last year in the regional swiss teams at Paducah.

I can't help but believe this is scheduled for April 1st
Alderaan delenda est

#27 User is offline   pigpenz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-13, 10:44

how about trying some acbl games where south doesnt always have the best hand at the table.
we have tried the 18 board games and they dont seem to draw the crowds that the speedballs do, why?(both bots and people)
or better yet have a full born bot sectional or regional 200 tables of bots with a sectional rating, big masterpoint prizes.

Try it maybe it will catch on.

#28 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-March-13, 10:48

Personally, I am very excited about the next series of Dancing With The Stars and would certainly consider playing an ACBL online speedball if conversation about it were mandatory.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#29 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-13, 10:52

View Postpigpenz, on 2012-March-13, 10:44, said:

how about trying some acbl games where south doesnt always have the best hand at the table.
we have tried the 18 board games and they dont seem to draw the crowds that the speedballs do, why?(both bots and people)
or better yet have a full born bot sectional or regional 200 tables of bots with a sectional rating, big masterpoint prizes.

Try it maybe it will catch on.

There are other classes of robot tournaments on BBO in which the user has the choice between best hand or random hands. Close to 80% seem to prefer best hand (which is the main reason we have not introduced random hand robot tournaments in our ACBL schedule).

I am not really involved in this aspect of our operation, but I think it is fair to say that if we get enough requests for a new type of ACBL event, there is a good chance that we will at least try running such events. Best to e-mail acbl@bridgebase.com if you have any suggestions pertaining to our ACBL program.

We would love to be able to run the occasional ACBL Sectional or Regional, but so far ACBL has not been open to such possibilities. It is probably best to e-mail your ACBL District Director if you would like to see ACBL consider changing their policies in this area.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#30 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-March-13, 18:32

View Postbarmar, on 2012-March-13, 00:33, said:

But it may be the sanctioned online games in general. It's good if online sites bring people to bridge, but the goal from the ACBL's point of view should be for them to eventually take the plunge and play live bridge. To "move on" as it were.

Obviously Fred has reasons to disagree with this goal.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#31 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-March-13, 18:40

View Postfred, on 2012-March-13, 10:52, said:

Best to e-mail acbl@bridgebase.com if you have any suggestions pertaining to our ACBL program.

We would love to be able to run the occasional ACBL Sectional or Regional, but so far ACBL has not been open to such possibilities. It is probably best to e-mail your ACBL District Director if you would like to see ACBL consider changing their policies in this area.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

No, I will not bitch to ACBL about what you are doing or trying to do re: bots and sanctioned events. As with many things in life, if I don't like something I don't have to do it or spoil it for someone else.

That doesn't stop me from venting my feelings to you guys, of course :rolleyes:
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#32 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-13, 20:54

View PostVampyr, on 2012-March-13, 18:32, said:

But it may be the sanctioned online games in general. It's good if online sites bring people to bridge, but the goal from the ACBL's point of view should be for them to eventually take the plunge and play live bridge. To "move on" as it were.

Obviously Fred has reasons to disagree with this goal.

Fred does not agree that this *should* be the ACBL's goal.

Fred believes that bridge is bridge.

Fred believes that it is good that bridge players have choices as to where they play their bridge.

Fred believes that individual bridge players will gravitate to events/venues/media that are best for them in terms of convenience, enjoyment, economics, social stimulus, mental challenge, strength of competition (or lack thereof), and/or whatever other factors they find to be important.

Fred believes that if the ACBL were to adopt the position that traditional events/venues/media are the only forms of "real bridge" then they might as well kiss the future goodbye.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#33 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-13, 21:13

Good points raised by posters.

It may be that the future of bridge in the ACBL might someday be where most(over 50%) of tables will be online.

We have talked about this before if at some point computing power gets so cheap you have hologram bridge where we all sit down at a table. We feel the cards and the green felt, smell the scotch on LHO and admire how RHO is dressed.

I cant find it now but I think somewhere I posted how many acbl tables are played online out of total tables per acbl documents. The numbers should be somewhere on the acbl site of annual reports.

I do think this whole debate about best hand sanctioned robot acbl games is a heathly one.
I never have played one but many of my old old buddies love them.

#34 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2012-March-13, 22:27

I enjoy robot bridge. It's a new and interesting bridge problem, and I've probably played over 500 robot tourneys.

Some things are obvious to me about robot bridge:

Fred is right in saying that both humans and robots have weaknesses. I do not believe it is right to compare the two, however. The human weaknesses change over time, and are therefore never entirely predictable. The robot weaknesses, however, are very predictable. As a practical matter, there is never a room in a real bridge club where I understand the foibles of every opponent, but in the robot tournament I do have a very clear assessment of every individual. For example, I know that GIB hates aggressive leads, and can play accordingly.

The best hand aspect gives a significant advantage to a declarer/defender in placing high cards with laser-like precision.

My other impression is that it is difficult to give GIB information on defense which will make the defense easier. This weakness is camouflaged by the best hand thing, since we are nearly always declaring, but cooperative defensive efforts are part of "real" bridge, and is something that I have not witnessed from GIB.

I do believe that bridge (specifically declaring) skill is an important aspect of scoring well in a GIB tournament, but handling the robots is probably more important - its a war of attrition where the winners are frequently those that can best avoid having their partner fix them.

The clearest example of how the two games are different is in the Expected Variance for opening 1N light. In robot bridge, I estimate that opening 1N on any 14 has a positive EV on my score. I have a higher frequency of playing the hand and being able to apply my knowledge of robot "rules" to manipulate the defense. In real life, violating your NT range has a demonstrated negative EV (in a study done by the Bridge World or Inquiry, I can't remember which, I just remember the result).
Chris Gibson

#35 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-March-14, 09:12

While robot tourneys are not the same as playing against people, it's also true that IMP games aren't the same as MP games (e.g. the EV of bidding thin games). We have so many different forms of the game that ACBL sanctions, what's wrong with having one more? The rudiments of the game are the same for all of them, but they each emphasize slightly different specific skills and strategies.

I'll bet many players had similar feelings when Swiss Teams started to replace BAM as the usual format for team tournaments, and then when VP scoring replaced Win-Loss in Swiss Teams. Resistance against change is a constant in human society -- there's always disagreement over whether it's progress or corruption.

#36 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2012-March-14, 10:04

View Postbarmar, on 2012-March-14, 09:12, said:

While robot tourneys are not the same as playing against people, it's also true that IMP games aren't the same as MP games (e.g. the EV of bidding thin games). We have so many different forms of the game that ACBL sanctions, what's wrong with having one more? The rudiments of the game are the same for all of them, but they each emphasize slightly different specific skills and strategies.

I'll bet many players had similar feelings when Swiss Teams started to replace BAM as the usual format for team tournaments, and then when VP scoring replaced Win-Loss in Swiss Teams. Resistance against change is a constant in human society -- there's always disagreement over whether it's progress or corruption.

Very well said. And for the record, I was not meaning to come out against sanctioning robot games, I was just trying to talk around some points I felt had been made disingenuously earlier in the thread.
Chris Gibson

#37 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-March-14, 11:17

View Postfred, on 2012-March-12, 17:46, said:

Sorry my mistake.

LOL sorry I didn't mean to strike a nerve. You are justifiably proud of your product, and I didn't intend to give the impression that I was rubbishing it.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#38 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2012-March-15, 09:16

I do not have any problem with awarding MPs for bridge games including robots. I do have a problem for awarding MPs for games where the human player is guaranteed to receive the most hcp, or indeed any other such condition which violates the rules of bridge such as removing vulnerability or whatever. The rotation is part of the randomness of the hand; removing it reduces the number of possible hands enormously. As a mathematician I feel I am smart enough to understand this. Suggesting that someone else is not smart simply because they disagree with you is the height of rudeness imho, even more so when it comes from the boss.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#39 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-March-15, 09:29

View PostZelandakh, on 2012-March-15, 09:16, said:

The rotation is part of the randomness of the hand; removing it reduces the number of possible hands enormously.

Why is that a problem? This isn't rubber bridge, it doesn't matter if the hands "run one way". It's duplicate, you're being judged on what you do with the hands.

#40 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2012-March-15, 09:38

View Postbarmar, on 2012-March-15, 09:29, said:

Why is that a problem? This isn't rubber bridge, it doesn't matter if the hands "run one way". It's duplicate, you're being judged on what you do with the hands.

It matters because it gives you a count on the hand that is not there. If I have 10hcp I know 100% that the points are distributed 10:10:10:10 around the table. Similarly if I have 15 hcp and LHO has shown up with 13 I know for certain that RHO has the king. I have no problems with this as a card game contest, after all it is the same for everyone, but do not insult my intelligence by saying it is the same as normal bridge.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users