Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bidding decision

#1 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2012-March-09, 14:24

1) Agree with pass to begin with?

2) What do you do now?

(I have strong opinions on this, and I'm floating this hand to see how reasonable those opinions are)
Chris Gibson

#2 User is offline   daveharty 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, juggling, disc sports, Jane Austen, writing, cosmology, and Mexican food

Posted 2012-March-09, 14:56

1. Yes.
2. Pass.
Revised Bridge Personality: 44 43 33 44

Dianne, I'm holding in my hand a small box of chocolate bunnies... --Agent Dale Cooper

#3 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2012-March-09, 15:05

The old get-partner-barred-and-bid-3C trick might work best, but I'd be surprised if people are doing anything but passing here.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#4 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-09, 15:08

Scheinwolds first rule of holes. When you are in one, stop digging.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#5 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2012-March-09, 16:06

View Postdaveharty, on 2012-March-09, 14:56, said:

1. Yes.
2. Pass.

nothing to add.
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#6 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2012-March-09, 16:21

Why are we even thinking of bidding?

If we are terrified of playing 2, remember we don't have to pass if LHO doubles and RHO passes.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#7 User is offline   HighLow21 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-09, 16:48

View Postdaveharty, on 2012-March-09, 14:56, said:

1. Yes.
2. Pass.

What Dave said. I'm fully prepared to re-introduce the word "ludicrous" in this discussion if need be. :-)
There is a big difference between a good decision and a good result. Let's keep our posts about good decisions rather than "gotcha" results!

#8 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-09, 18:03

1) What exactly can I open on that?! 3C would be absolutely suicidal 2nd in at this vul.

2) Pass. Just apologise to partner when the dummy comes down. If it gets doubled, bid 2NT scrambling if you have it, otherwise 3C. (With a vaguely intelligent partner 2S might also work, though some might take that as natural 7+ cards...) If opps rescue you, keep quiet and smile. :)

ahydra

#9 User is offline   JustaDummy 

• PipPipPip
  • Interests:Too many. Really.

Posted 2012-March-10, 15:58

OK, I've been encouraged in another post to ask questions (sorry if this bores Aguahombre).

View Postahydra, on 2012-March-09, 18:03, said:

2) Pass. Just apologise to partner when the dummy comes down. If it gets doubled, bid 2NT scrambling if you have it
Please explain what you mean by "scrambling if you have it"

With a vaguely intelligent partner 2S might also work, though some might take that as natural 7+ cards...
Ignoring your pejorative remarks regarding intelligence (remember that lack of knowledge does not always align with lack of intelligence), are you saying that this 2 spades bid is clearly an invitation to takeout? I sometimes need to have things like this stuck to my forehead with a stapling gun. :P
A Seagull Consultant is an expert who flies in, eats all your food, craps all over you, and flies out again.

#10 User is offline   squealydan 

• PipPipPip
  • Interests:most sport
    being in the great outdoors
    the daily show / colbert

Posted 2012-March-10, 17:22

View PostJustaDummy, on 2012-March-10, 15:58, said:

OK, I've been encouraged in another post to ask questions (sorry if this bores Aguahombre).Please explain what you mean by "scrambling if you have it"

Where a no-trump bid is unlikely to be natural, it is "scrambling" usually showing minor suits. Consider this sort of auction :

[1]-p-[2]-X
p- 2NT

With the opposition having shown a heart fit, 2NT is unlikely to be the best spot for your side, so after partner doubled and forced you to bid, you can bid 2NT here which is often played as the scrambling no-trump. It denies spades and shows length in both minors, asking doubler for her better minor. Doubler will definitely have spades here but may not have both minors, so 2NT is better than just bidding a suit as it should ensure you find a good fit.

The post you referred to implied that having passed earlier (twice), if your partner's 2 bid was doubled and came back to you, like this :

p-p-[1]-2
p-p-x-p
p-??

it seems unlikely that you could want to play in 2NT as a natural contract, so again 2NT could be "scrambling", showing both minors.

I'll admit that I haven't seen it played much in this particular situation, as you could also "redouble for rescue" here, again showing both minors. Ahydra also said you might bid 2S to do the same thing.

If you haven't discussed these things with your partner, then you can use whichever one you think partner is most likely to interpret correctly.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users