• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

jec #3, board 11

#1 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2012-March-02, 09:34

This was a big swing against us. Benlessard was playing in 5 in the other room (ns). Here I thought long before passing 6. Not a lot to say about the play, I thought long and hard before passing 6. The problem was I was worried that 7 might make, or I might go down five in 6. I actually thought Barry had the black suits for 2nt, so I was worried they had a double fit. I thought 5 was a cue-bid of my partner's second suit.

In the final analysis, should I have saved at 6? Well, I can win 8 tricks (5, 1, and 2 ruffs) and they can't make 13, so the double dummy answer is yes.

--Ben--

#2 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-March-02, 09:45

I noticed a few things about this hand.

1. Barmar misbid. 2N shows the unbids (blacks) and he had + . On any given day I might bid 1 or 2.

2. 4 looks like a good move with your double 'fit'. Barmar well judged with 5 having a 6th card. It is a good question to ask whether this is just competitive, or suggests to partner to sac in case they bid 6.

3. An 800 save against a NV slam is a hard way to earn a living. Frankly I don't blame either of you. With your hand, a sac does not look profitable, and Barry might have been concerned you had a defensive trick.

I do not know what happened at the other table or why they stayed out of 6. It seems rather routine to get there after 1 - (pass) - 1 - (1). Benlessard's partner doubled, which might mean something in their methods, but it didn't seem to help the cause. Ben's 4 seemed to confirm there was accident - why would he be asking about key cards in clubs? So even if you find the sacrifice, you cut an 11 IMP loss to 9.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-March-02, 11:07

Yeah, I misbid. I saw my two-suiter, and didn't notice that one of them was the same as opener's. Otherwise I would have just jumped to 2{SP].

With my extreme distribution and Ben bidding 4 freely over the cue bid, 5 took little thought.

I was kind of hoping that my misbid would have caused them to misjudge. If they had, we'd be cheering my brilliant psyche. :)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users