BBO Discussion Forums: Someone should write a good book on just competitive auctions - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Someone should write a good book on just competitive auctions Is this a wtp call?

Poll: Someone should write a good book on just competitive auctions (46 member(s) have cast votes)

Your call?

1. Pass (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. X (17 votes [36.96%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 36.96%

3. 2D (29 votes [63.04%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 63.04%

4. 2H (0 votes [0.00%])

5. 2S (0 votes [0.00%])

6. Something else (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   hiatus 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-March-02, 15:32

The possibility of finding partner with 5 hearts and 2 spades is a big advantage of doubling.
Another advantage is that when you instead bid 2D or 2H partner can take a stronger inference that you have ten cards in two suits.

#22 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-March-02, 21:59

How do you come to that conclusion? Are you passing or something? If you bid 2D, you have the exact same problem of having a wide range, but you have described your hand less. Having wide ranges in 1M p 1N auctions is part of life in 2/1/SAYC like systems.

It might be the fact of life for standard systems in NA.
I recently spent some time going through Italian pairs bidding and it's not fact of life for them (as all 16+ go into 2C so 2D/2H are limited to 15hcp). I believe they do something similar in comp and I like it a lot.
There are two questions: "what is best" and "what is expected in standard". I am expressing my opinion about the first of those questions; seeing how wide range calls cause a lot of trouble for standard bidders (even world class ones) and how it's solved in Italian systems (some Polish pairs do something similar by introducing transfers). If I just agreed standard I would probably double as if 2D is expected to be 12-18 then I won't benefit from limit nature of that call anyway.
Oh and I am for sure not passing. With perfect (imo) agreements I would pass with 5-3-3-2 12-14. Bid 2D/2H with 4 of them in 11-15range and double with great 15's an up.

Anyway, I still don't know how 2 opponents bidding influence this situation. Maybe shape is the most important here as game is more distant target now. I could easily be convinced that it's a double in such situation.

#23 User is offline   Nabooba 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-March-02, 22:36

Double should be played for takeout, but that is not a good call here. You have an excellent Diamond suit and we should let partner know that.
Where are you parrot?

#24 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-02, 23:45

View Postbluecalm, on 2012-February-29, 16:51, said:

I think double should be stronger. Partner is in 5-11 range and if we hope to ever bid reasonable games here he needs to make forward moving action with (8)9-11 opposite our double.

Where is this 5-11 coming from ? Why would someone bid with 5-6 hcp and no fit over a double ? I always thought, if 1NT is natural after a T/O double that it is about 8-10 hcp.

Some may argue that 1NT can have preemptive effect on doubler's partner but in this auction thats not the case either, we opened 1.

i.e 1-X-1NT disables 1 bid or 1m-X-1NT disables both 1 major bids etc...
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#25 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-03, 00:24

Where is this 5-11 coming from ? Why would someone bid with 5-6 hcp and no fit over a double ? I always thought, if 1NT is natural after a T/O double that it is about 8-10 hcp.

I am stupid. I was thinking about 1S - p -1N 2C all the time and all the remarks are to that.
OP situation is completely different obviously, sry for confusion.

#26 User is offline   HighLow21 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-March-09, 04:37

I think I understand the merits of the double, but with three bad hearts and 4 good diamonds, I would bid 2. One thing partner knows for a fact about my hand is that I am short in clubs, unless the opponents are playing ELCD's or some such thing. We also can be fairly certain that RHO is short in spades. If my red honors were in the 3-card heart suit, I would definitely double. But partner will hopefully be able to figure out, based on the auction, that I have to have heart tolerance or a rebiddable spade suit here.
There is a big difference between a good decision and a good result. Let's keep our posts about good decisions rather than "gotcha" results!

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users