BBO Discussion Forums: BINGO Tourney Strategy - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BINGO Tourney Strategy Might As Well Withdraw If Opponents Beat You To Bingo?

#1 User is offline   AAr 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-February-22, 02:23

From what I understand, if somebody BINGOs ahead of you:

You obviously can't beat them.

You can't tie them (which would be good thing as I will explain below), as in this event, it scores players who have gotten BINGO by who gets BINGO first (First is first, second is second, third is third, etc). IOWs, there are no ties here. (I think even if two people get BINGO the exact same time to the tenth of a second, which is extremely unlikely, the computer breaks the tie.)

It seems to mean that you can only lose (or, IOW, already lost) to such players?

Therefore, from what I notice and understand: Say there are four players in a BINGO tourney (meaning, you have to finish second or better to make the points). If you see in the Scoreboard that two players have already got BINGO, even if you only need one square to BINGO and there are still 20 minutes left in the 25 Minute Clock, you still might as well withdraw (unless you want to finish the tourney for reasons like seeing how many hands you could get in {I like Robot Race tourneys better for this, winning or losing}, seeing how many squares you and fill without getting BINGO, or other reasons not relating to result).

What I do like (perhaps my favorite thing) about BINGO tourneys, esp. Bingo Race, even if it does rarely come down to it, is when you don't BINGO within the 25 Minute Clock, but you, say, only need one square to BINGO at the end of the tourney, and still make the points because of it (and I have had this happen a couple of times in Race)., you tie everybody else who does the same (even if you get the square needed to get to 'BING' in the last minute), and everybody involved in the tie gets full points (100% for first, 70% for second, 50% for third, etc.), instead of the duplicate tourney placings for tie (Ex: 51.67% for three-way for second [(70 + 50 + 35) / 2)]. That I do like.

But, it there any point (mathamatically possiblity of making the points/money) if enough oppoenents have beaten you to a full BINGO, to continue playing? I have been withdrawing from BINGO tourneys whenever I see this happening. Am I doing something I might as well be doing, or am I still giving up a chance (even if it is a slim one) to make the money/points. I'm asking this because I don't want to withdraw from a BINGO tourney with even a 1% chance of placing in the money or points, but I don't to waste time continuing playing in a tourney that I have zero chance to place.

Just making an observation and wanting to verify if it's correct. Thanks!

#2 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-February-22, 04:00

Actually most players do withdraw as soon as there are no prizes or points left to win, even if there are 20 minutes left on the clock.

The only reason why one should continue to play the bingo tourney after all prizes were won is that it will count as a completed tourney in their stats, increasing their tournament completion rate. Otherwise, from a strategic point of view, it's useless to continue playing.

#3 User is offline   heyrocky 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:mountains, college basketball, math

Posted 2012-February-22, 04:40

If there are no more prizes left to win, why not have the software just end the tournament then, so that the participants can receive the completed tourney stat?

#4 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-22, 05:17

Because some people might like to continue playing anyway, just bec bingo is fun? I often play until the end just to check various strategies and sequences.

#5 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-February-22, 07:09

Then how about giving anyone who withdraws after all awards are won credit for a completed tournament?

#6 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-22, 07:40

If they withdraw it wont count against them as incomplete tourney... withdrawing has no effect on stats.

So if they play until the end, it's +1
If they withdraw it's neutral, doesn't influence completion rate

#7 User is offline   AAr 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-22, 15:31

View Postdiana_eva, on 2012-February-22, 07:40, said:

If they withdraw it wont count against them as incomplete tourney... withdrawing has no effect on stats.

So if they play until the end, it's +1
If they withdraw it's neutral, doesn't influence completion rate

I usually do withdraw once I see there is no possible way to make the points or money (and thanks for determining that), and it count as a nocount instead of a incompletion if I withdraw. I have also withdrawn from several Best Hand and Random Hand tourneys once I see there that I am so far behind that there is pretty much no way, short of getting, bidding, and making slams every hand the rest of the tourney (although it still counts you score if I do). But, I've also withdrawn from a few duplicate tourneys (again, once I see there is no possible way to place), and my profile (which it only shows in the Web/Bingo Version) still shows a 100% completion rate. I guess it's just dropping out of human partner/opponent tournaments like ACBL, Sky Club, BBO Land, etc. (which I very rarely sign up for anymore).

I know there could be some fun made out of a BINGO tourney (I still prefer Robot Race for the "too see how many hands I can play in 25 minutes" deal. I guess I could see how many squares I could fill before getting a BINGO, but I don't see it really worth the time wasted playing in a tourney you don't have to finish and have absolutely zero chance of placing. Otherwise, it does seem like a waste of time to finish the tourney if it won't count againt you in the Tourney Completion Stats (just you don't get credit for completing it).

ETA: I would like to see the 25 Minute clock be reduced to a 15 Minute clock (esp. in Reward, but in Race too), just to add the fun strategy that involves getting to need the fewest squares to BINGO to place, as the last place for the money or points would come to down more often. (I'm aware money awards are split, but you get the full masterpoints for the place of the tie if you make the points this way). This would also slightly increase the chance of making the points, making the tourneys (esp. the 25c Bingo Race) more attractive to join. And, esp. in Reward, if you only need one square to BINGO and actually not get enough opponents to BINGO to knock you out of the money and points (That is enough of a longshot even with a 15 minute clock, esp. in Reward!), you deserve to be in the money/points. And, the clock actually comes into play more often.

#8 User is offline   tsankaR 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-20, 08:54

View PostAAr, on 2012-February-22, 02:23, said:

You can't tie them (which would be good thing as I will explain below), as in this event, it scores players who have gotten BINGO by who gets BINGO first (First is first, second is second, third is third, etc). IOWs, there are no ties here. (I think even if two people get BINGO the exact same time to the tenth of a second, which is extremely unlikely, the computer breaks the tie.)

There can be tie in bingo

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users