BBO Discussion Forums: Pairs Movements with Small Table Counts - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Pairs Movements with Small Table Counts Use Howell Movements when Table Count < Number of Scheduled Rounds

#1 User is offline   JmBrPotter 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bicycling, Chess, Computer Science, Go, Hiking, Learning, Military Simulation Games, Photography, Quality Improvement, Reading (SciFi, nonfiction), Statistics, Teaching, Two-Player Partial Information Games, Two-Player Total Information Games, oh! I almost forgot---Duplicate Contract Bridge playing and directing

Posted 2012-February-19, 21:24

I just played a 3-table 18 board match. We played the SAME three pairs three times and NEVER faced the other two pairs.

This tournament SHOULD have been a 3-table Howell movement (5 rounds, 3-four board rounds and 2-3 board rounds: total 18 boards [or throw in two extra boards and a little extra time for a 20-board 5-round match). Everyone plays everyone and there's FOUR less instances of "Howdy, here are our confessions, pre-alerts, carding, etc." This is PERFECT with 6 pairs. Three trips around a 3-table Mitchell is ridiculous!

I know that adding Howell movements is a bit of a pain (extra programming to add the movements and figure out the number of boards per round), but it makes good sense for matches with 2-7 tables.
:-)

Brian Potter

e-mail: ClioBridgeGuy >at< att >dot< net
URL: Bridge at the Village

Bridge is more than just a card game. It is a cerebral sport. Bridge teaches you logic, reasoning, quick thinking, patience, concentration, and partnership skills.
- Martina Navratilova

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users