• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Another fine mess EBU

#1 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-February-19, 17:31

I forgot to set the vulnerability, EW are vul, teams of 4.

2 was not alerted nor was 2, but EW's system was that this was a (weak) transfer. W actually intended it as a pretty random move hoping partner would bid a major (he'd forgotten the system). I can fully believe that even with a 17 count with 5 card support this particular east would not even consider breaking the transfer.

At the end of the auction Edit N not E as originally posted asked some questions, discovered the lack of an alert and called the TD, I'm not sure if the lead was face down or face up at this point. Edit confirmed face down

2 made on the nose and NS claimed MI/UI.

NS's methods, the X of 1N is 9+, X of 2 by S is pens, X of 2 by N is T/o, but virtually guaranteeing 4 spades.

My questions are the following:

1. If the lead was face down should N have been given his pass back ?
2. If the lead was face up does N get his pass back and if different to 1 has he lost some of his right to redress.Edit irrelevant, didn't happen
3. If he was given his pass back, he claims he would have bid 3, do we believe him ? Edit this was said after seeing all 4 hands
4. Should N have asked over the 2 even though it wasn't alerted ? as it's not very often that a bid of LHO's suit is natural.
5. Is pulling a "natural" 2 to 2 with a 1N overcall unusual enough that NS should have asked before passing it out ?

The TD ruled score stood, and so did we as appeals committee, looks like it might get appealed again. We weren't aware on the appeals committee that the director was called at the end of the auction not the end of the hand, so if a directorial error is ruled, what happens next ?

#2 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-February-19, 17:57

Gawd...on the other thread I was assuming 2D was a transfer. Too many things on the actual hand to even contemplate (such as whether there was a wire). That 2H bid is quite suspicious in combination with the 1NT overcall containing five hearts.

That is my cue to bow out in favor of the Lawdogs.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#3 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-19, 18:17

View PostCyberyeti, on 2012-February-19, 17:31, said:

We weren't aware on the appeals committee that the director was called at the end of the auction not the end of the hand, so if a directorial error is ruled, what happens next ?

There's a section on the appeals form that asks when the director was first called. Was that not filled in (and if so did the committee not ask for the information), or was it incorrectly filled in (and if so did none of the players correct it)?
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#4 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-February-19, 18:32

At the end of the auction E asked some questions, discovered the lack of an alert and called the TD,

I don't quite understand, was East away from the table during the bidding, or how could he "discover" the lack of an alert at this point?

(Or were screens in use? But then how did E discover anything from the other side of the screen?)
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#5 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-February-19, 18:33

View Postgordontd, on 2012-February-19, 18:17, said:

There's a section on the appeals form that asks when the director was first called. Was that not filled in (and if so did the committee not ask for the information), or was it incorrectly filled in (and if so did none of the players correct it)?

This was a club night, the hand was written on the back of a fag packet and that was about it :)

The aution proceeded with no alerts, and after the final pass some questions were asked.

#6 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-February-19, 18:35

View Postaguahombre, on 2012-February-19, 17:57, said:

Gawd...on the other thread I was assuming 2D was a transfer. Too many things on the actual hand to even contemplate (such as whether there was a wire). That 2H bid is quite suspicious in combination with the 1NT overcall containing five hearts.

That is my cue to bow out in favor of the Lawdogs.

That was deliberate, in an attempt to answer point 3.

#7 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-19, 20:30

View PostCyberyeti, on 2012-February-19, 18:33, said:

This was a club night, the hand was written on the back of a fag packet and that was about it :)

The aution proceeded with no alerts, and after the final pass some questions were asked.

By whom were these questions asked?
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#8 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-February-19, 23:55

View Postmgoetze, on 2012-February-19, 18:32, said:

I don't quite understand, was East away from the table during the bidding, or how could he "discover" the lack of an alert at this point?

My guess is that he meant to write that it was North or South who discovered the lack of alert and called the TD.

#9 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-February-20, 01:52

1. Yes, North can change his call.
2 (a) No, we're now in the play period, so we can't revert to the auction; (b) If South led face-up, I think it should place NS in a worse position than if he'd led face-down, but I can't find a law that says so.
3. If North is allowed to change his call, he's allowed to bid anything he wants. North has no information other than what he's entitled to, so his actions aren't constrained or subject to scepticism.
4. No. North has a right to ask questions, but not a duty to do so. And in that auction it's not uncommon to play 2 as natural.
5. NS are expected to protect themselves in "obvious misinformation cases". My understanding is that this is meant to cover sequences like 2NT-3 or 1NT-2;2. I don't think this sequence is in the same category.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#10 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-February-20, 03:04

OK, have confirmed the lead was face down when the questions were asked (by N not E, the hand got rotated in different versions).

So, N should have had the right to change his call.

He claims he would have bid 3 (which would make or provoke 3 which wouldn't, but claimed this after he'd seen all four hands), do we believe him ?

#11 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-20, 03:10

View PostCyberyeti, on 2012-February-19, 18:33, said:

Ah, I misunderstood from the title, and thought it was from an EBU event.

May I recommend the use of Appeals forms, which are available to be downloaded from the EBU site, even for appeals in clubs?
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#12 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-February-20, 03:45

View Postgordontd, on 2012-February-20, 03:10, said:

Ah, I misunderstood from the title, and thought it was from an EBU event.

May I recommend the use of Appeals forms, which are available to be downloaded from the EBU site, even for appeals in clubs?

I said EBU purely for jurisdiction.

They are used if the appeal goes beyond the end of the night, but with a playing director, there is no time to fill one out during the event so they get filled out that evening after everybody goes home.

It also didn't help that there was a dealing machine foul up, resulting in the same boards as were present a month earlier in the last installment of this competition being served up (despite the boards having been used several times since), so they were redealt meaning everything was running late and there were no printed hand records.

#13 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-20, 04:14

View PostCyberyeti, on 2012-February-20, 03:45, said:

They are used if the appeal goes beyond the end of the night, but with a playing director, there is no time to fill one out during the event so they get filled out that evening after everybody goes home.

This case shows how it might save time to make time to fill one out before the Appeal is held, even if only in a cursory fashion. It's especially useful in UI cases to have answered the various questions that are asked on the form.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#14 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-20, 04:34

View PostCyberyeti, on 2012-February-20, 03:04, said:

He claims he would have bid 3 (which would make or provoke 3 which wouldn't, but claimed this after he'd seen all four hands), do we believe him ?

If we are ruling on the basis of TD error, we adjust as though both sides are non-offending, so we would give a split score with NS getting a high percentage (perhaps 100%) of having bid 3 (or perhaps some proportion of 2 via a takeout double), while EW would get a high percentage (perhaps 100%) of the table result.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#15 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-20, 04:35

The TD ruled score stood, and so did we as appeals committee, looks like it might get appealed again.

By what process?
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#16 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-February-20, 05:03

View Postgordontd, on 2012-February-20, 04:35, said:

By what process?

Awkward questions like that don't really reflect the reality in Norfolk. I've been trying to drag the standard of administration of rulings and appeals kicking and screaming into the 1990s let alone the 2010s for a while. I believe the next step should be to appeal to the county, although if both the director and appeals committee admit they got it wrong, this might not be necessary, but in fact I suspect a club committee meeting will probably have a look at it.

#17 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-February-20, 05:16

View Postgordontd, on 2012-February-20, 04:34, said:

If we are ruling on the basis of TD error, we adjust as though both sides are non-offending, so we would give a split score with NS getting a high percentage (perhaps 100%) of having bid 3 (or perhaps some proportion of 2 via a takeout double), while EW would get a high percentage (perhaps 100%) of the table result.

I knew this was the procedure if the action was clear, but wasn't sure how much benefit of doubt you had to give.

Also (not applicable in this case, but would be with some other declarers in that room) how do you deal with the "I know I'd make 3 on this hand but I don't think you would" type scenario nicely without offending anybody.

#18 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-20, 05:34

View PostCyberyeti, on 2012-February-20, 05:16, said:

I knew this was the procedure if the action was clear, but wasn't sure how much benefit of doubt you had to give.

Since we are treating them both as non-offending, consider each pair in turn and assess what score you would give them in other circumstances with sympathetic weighting.

View PostCyberyeti, on 2012-February-20, 05:16, said:

Also (not applicable in this case, but would be with some other declarers in that room) how do you deal with the "I know I'd make 3 on this hand but I don't think you would" type scenario nicely without offending anybody.

With tact :)
Rather than saying "I don't think you would make it", say something like "I don't think it's clear that it would always be made".
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#19 User is offline   Poky 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-February-20, 05:56

3. If he was given his pass back, he claims he would have bid 3, do we believe him ? Edit this was said after seeing all 4 hands

Obviously not!

There's no connection between the eventual infraction and the balancing decision. 3 is a gambling bid in both cases. Besides that, it's even possible that the "wrong" information favors bidding 3 more than the "right" one.

North is just trying to mud the water making pressure and intimidating the director. In a fair world he would get a penalty pretty much instantly.

#20 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-February-20, 07:27

View PostPoky, on 2012-February-20, 05:56, said:

Obviously not!

There's no connection between the eventual infraction and the balancing decision. 3 is a gambling bid in both cases. Besides that, it's even possible that the "wrong" information favors bidding 3 more than the "right" one.

North is just trying to mud the water making pressure and intimidating the director. In a fair world he would get a penalty pretty much instantly.

In Norfolk you won't get a penalty unless you either cause other people to be unable to play a board, or insult somebody (and even that hasn't always been enforced).

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users