BBO Discussion Forums: would your auction be the same as ours? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

would your auction be the same as ours?

#1 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2012-February-16, 03:12

"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#2 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-16, 03:58

No, north would open 1H and south would like his hand.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#3 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2012-February-16, 04:04

1NT - 2
2 showing 5 seems like a good start to me, after which everything is extremely easy. But I guess you would not be playing this! How about if North opens 1? Then South is again good enough to look for slam so no problems. In either case it should be trivial to reach 7NT.

Once North passes then things get more difficult. South has a strong 2 so anyone playing these or Benji/SEF 2 bids is laughing. Having these bids included in a Multi does not work so well when North bounces though.

If we are stuck with weak 2s then the next chance is South's rebid after 1 - 1. South has a strong 2 bid! Why would you want to stop below game here? Some play a 3NT rebid here as showing this hand, essentially a strong 2 1-suiter in diamonds. That should get you to a diamond slam of some type. Others play some kind of gadget with game forcing hands, for example a 2 rebid might be any GF hand and not necessarily with spades. That sort of method would give you a more controlled auction and then you probably reach 7 or 7NT.

Perhaps this post is not necessarily right for B/I and I should just say "either North should open or South should rebid more strongly" (Edit: or just han's one-liner) but this is an area where everyone knows that traditional methods are not great and that is why so many alternatives have been created. Better methods can help alot and this is particularly true for intermediate players who usually do not have expert level judgement and understanding to escape from the traps of poor system design (but will often have the ability to learn a simple gadget that means less judgement is required).
(-: Zel :-)

#4 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2012-February-16, 04:09

For what it is worth, I don't open all 5332's with 11 points but I like this heart suit very much.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#5 User is offline   Flameous 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:How to find out shape below 2NT.

Posted 2012-February-16, 04:12

Assuming south hand was first in turn, pretty much the same playing standard. This is a situation you can't really handle without some gadgets. Point is that S is GF after 1 whenever N holds 5 hearts but there's no way to show that type of hand. Possible solutions are 2 jumpshift and 1 rebid if played forcing.
It's also possible to fit that hand type in 2NT but you are losing accuracy in NT sequences then.

#6 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2012-February-16, 04:25

No,

1. Even playing 2/1 I would open 1 and take it from there.

2. If I had passed, the south hand is close to the Bridge wolrd death hand. These hands (strong 6 card minor, 3 card support for partners major) do happen and it is nice to have a solution for them. Of course you can live without them. :)

3. After pass 1 1 3 3 Nt is lazy. Partner announced extras and north bids as if he has 7- 8 points, no fit. So I have understanding if the setting is MPS but at imps, I would make a slam try with 4 - if this is no slam try for you, (I have no idea what is standard here, maybe just invitational is the most common treatment), force with 4 .
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#7 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-16, 05:13

If you read The Bridge World then it seems that these hands appear almost every month. There is a reason for this, namely that there is no expert-standard solution.

Some gadgets might help, but in real life these hands do not seem to come up with the frequency implied by the number of appearances in BW and there are many other more useful gadgets to concentrate on. Of course when it does come up you are guessing, but I suggest not worrying too much about these hands.

paul
A pragmatist today
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#8 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-16, 05:27

Playing weak NT 4cM I'd open the North hand 1H or 1NT according to style. Say 1H...

1H-2D
2H-4C (splinter)

North now has an interesting decision. He loves his trumps and Ax clubs but his point count and shape is crap. Ah well, he can't cue 4D anyway so 4H it is.

4H-4S
4NT (RKC hearts)-5C (0 or 3)
5NT (ask kings)-6D (SK and CK or the DK)

Can north count 13 tricks? It's all on the DQ, which unfortunately there's no room to ask for. So 6H it is. Perhaps North can "guess" that South has the DK and bid 6D over 5C?

I guess this is where experience comes in - seeing the epic diamond suit, South must realise he needs to take control and do the ace-asking. He can then count 5 or 6D, 5H, a club ruff, SA and CA - so bids the grand.

ahydra

#9 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2012-February-16, 07:42

I'd open 1H with the north hand and it's pretty easy from there, we miss the splinter because we'll rebid 2NT with this hand, so we'll stop in the small slam I suspect.

#10 User is offline   mich-b 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-16, 07:55

View Postahydra, on 2012-February-16, 05:27, said:

Playing weak NT 4cM I'd open the North hand 1H or 1NT according to style. Say 1H...

1H-2D
2H-4C (splinter)

North now has an interesting decision. He loves his trumps and Ax clubs but his point count and shape is crap. Ah well, he can't cue 4D anyway so 4H it is.

4H-4S
4NT (RKC hearts)-5C (0 or 3)
5NT (ask kings)-6D (SK and CK or the DK)

Can north count 13 tricks? It's all on the DQ, which unfortunately there's no room to ask for. So 6H it is. Perhaps North can "guess" that South has the DK and bid 6D over 5C?

I guess this is where experience comes in - seeing the epic diamond suit, South must realise he needs to take control and do the ace-asking. He can then count 5 or 6D, 5H, a club ruff, SA and CA - so bids the grand.

ahydra

(While I don't necessarily agree with the bidding up to that point)
When North bids 5NT asking for Kings , South should bid 7 , since he has a source of tricks , that will provide as many as needed.

#11 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-16, 07:56

View Postjillybean, on 2012-February-16, 03:12, said:

Aside from the fact that North has a 1 opener, now is the time for GGG by Opener to show BOTH 5+ cards and 3 cards over a 1H Response.

p - 1D
1H - 2S! ( Gnasher's Gameforce Gadget; Sp may be artificial ) Gnasher disavows any originality for the GGG .
2NT!(asks) -
.. 3D! = long Diam; Sp was artificial
.. 3C! = ( other minor ) 4 cards Sp
.. 3H! = 3 cards , 5+ , Sp was artificial

After .... - 3H!
4C ( advance cue ) - 4S! ( kickback-RKC for )
5H ( 2 + Q ) - 6H
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#12 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2012-February-16, 08:16

View PostZelandakh, on 2012-February-16, 04:04, said:

Others play some kind of gadget with game forcing hands, for example a 2 rebid might be any GF hand and not necessarily with spades. That sort of method would give you a more controlled auction and then you probably reach 7 or 7NT.

View PostTWO4BRIDGE, on 2012-February-16, 07:56, said:

Aside from the fact that North has a 1 opener, now is the time for GGG by Opener to show BOTH 5+ cards and 3 cards .
<snip>
- 6H

Bah, you let me down Don. How many hands can you construct for North which do not give a play for 7 here?
(-: Zel :-)

#13 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-16, 08:48

View Postjillybean, on 2012-February-16, 03:12, said:

1h=2d
2nt=3h
4c=4s(rkc in h)
5h=then 7h or 7nt.

Pretty easy if north is first to bid,much tougher if south is first to bid.

---

sidenote I think the hand with a source of tricks, south, rather than the hand with just controls, north, should strain to bid rkc first if possible.

#14 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-16, 09:20

View PostZelandakh, on 2012-February-16, 08:16, said:

Bah, you let me down Don. How many hands can you construct for North which do not give a play for 7 here?

Ooops ... I was so enthusiastic about the GGG, I overlooked that Opener had a 6 card suit instead of 5 and, so, I only counted 12 tricks .
However, even if the Diam didn't run, there still is the Club-ruff in the short hand for the 13th trick... duhhh.
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#15 User is offline   quiddity 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-16, 12:00

I think whether North opens or not is almost completely beside the point. Replace the Q with a small spade if it makes you feel better. Balanced 11-counts tend to be pretty borderline even with a good suit.

The main problem is that 3 was an underbid. With 8 tricks for notrump and Axx in partner's suit and a stiff South needs to make a forcing bid.

#16 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2012-February-16, 12:17

View Postquiddity, on 2012-February-16, 12:00, said:

The main problem is that 3 was an underbid. With 8 tricks for notrump and Axx in partner's suit and a stiff South needs to make a forcing bid.

2, with no GGG agreement ?
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#17 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2012-February-16, 12:26

View Postjillybean, on 2012-February-16, 12:17, said:

2 ?

No, never 2. It doesn't work well when partner has 4 spades, because he can always correct diamonds to spades at every level.

I had a similar hand in a national where I jump shifted to 3. as you can expect, the auction quickly disintegrated, as partner raised to 5, and raised my 5 call to 6, which I pulled to 6N. Luckily the opponents weren't in on the joke either, and did not cash their AK of clubs, so we scored it up, but...it wasn't a smooth auction.

I think the closest lie is a 4 call instead of 3 playing standard.
Chris Gibson

#18 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2012-February-16, 13:56

I'm sure you are right however I always balk at passing the 3NT trap.
After 4 can partner still try for a fit as long as he has diamond tolerance or would a new suit be a cue? (I haven't ignored your advice Paul, but this is interesting :) )
(still learning)

#19 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-16, 14:14

1) I understand passing with the N hand. I think it's borderline. It's not ridiculous.

2) After 1D 1H, I would jump shift into 2S. If partner doesn't understand that sometimes we must fake a jump shift, I guess I am stuck bidding 3D. (I am not willing to jump shift into 3C)

3) After 3D, I think N should bid 3H, forcing. (For me, 3H is forcing and searching for the best game. A bad hand just passes 3D. Sometimes you are stuck with a bunch of bad hearts and a diamond void. Can't do everything.) Now south can show a big heart raise by bidding 4C and you will get there.

Edit: Another option by N would be 4D... not sure what I would do, to be honest. Probably 3H though.
Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

#20 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-February-16, 14:58

While we don't use GGG, we use a 2N rebid in similar fashion, so assuming we were facing the same hand with worse so we didn't open it, we'd bid:

1-1
2N(GF unbal)-3(semi forced unless a lot of shape)
3(6+ good , one suited not denying 3)-3(I have 5 decent or any 6+)
4(kickback)- 5(2 with)
7 or 7N

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users