• You cannot reply to this topic

Linsanity

#1 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-February-15, 07:32

http://www.youtube.c...kgsvfDgfM#t=18s

From story in today's NYT

TORONTO — The clock was running down — on the game, on the Knicks and on a mystical streak that was teetering on the edge of disappointment. The seconds kept disappearing until Jeremy Lin stopped his dribble, pulled up and launched another miracle.

The 3-point shot swished with a half-second remaining Tuesday night, lifting the Knicks to a 90-87 victory over the Toronto Raptors and setting off pandemonium at Air Canada Centre, where fans momentarily adopted the N.B.A.’s newest star as their own. Some 20,000 Canadians had just witnessed a growing legend.

The shot completed a furious comeback from a 17-point deficit and extended the Knicks’ Lin-inspired winning streak to six, with no sign of abating.

“I’m just glad it went like this, so we could calm the ‘Linsanity’ down a little bit,” Coach Mike D’Antoni said.

There is little chance of that happening. Lin scored 27 points — his sixth straight game with at least 20 — and handed out 11 assists. He forced some shots, committed 8 turnovers and struggled to contain Jose Calderon (25 points).

Yet the game ended as so many have since Lin became the Knicks’ unlikely star: with giddy celebration.

“It’s pretty amazing what he’s doing, man,” said Amar’e Stoudemire, who rejoined the team after a weeklong sabbatical following his brother’s death. “I can’t really explain it.”

Of all the thrilling moments Lin has had since becoming the Knicks’ point guard 11 days ago, this might have been the most unlikely. The Knicks (14-15) did not have a lead in the final three quarters and trailed by 12 early in the fourth.

If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#2 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-15, 08:40

Nate Silver on whether Lin is a fluke or not.
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#3 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2012-February-15, 08:55

Heh, a friend of mine and I were talking about him like a week ago, and he wrote to me:

"only in the nba is it unexpected news when a 23 year old asian guy with an econ degree from harvard succeeds in new york. just sayin."
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#4 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2012-February-15, 09:07

Being a Sixers fan, I was hoping that the Knicks would keep on going with Amare Stoudemire and Carmelo Anthony, so that they would not be a threat to challenge in the East. But now that they have someone who can direct team basketball, they are a definite threat.

Oh, well. Sometimes a team is just forced to do something intelligent.

#5 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2012-February-15, 10:10

two interesting facts I heard about Lin in the last couple of days.

1. harvard grads are more likely to be president of the US than an nba player
2. tim tebow is tired of hearing about lin

ok one of those is not true.
--Ben--

#6 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2012-February-19, 11:06

Jeremy Lin has transformed the Knicks’ offense by executing many fundamental elements of a traditional point guard. Lin uses the pick-and-roll and other screens to create open shots for himself and his teammates.

Here is a look at three plays from the Knicks’ victory on Wednesday over Sacramento by JOE WARD, BEDEL SAGET and XAQUIN G.V.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#7 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2012-February-19, 11:22

In a triumph for relative moralism, Tiger Woods will win another major golf championship before either Tim Tebow wins the Superbowl or Jeremy Lin wins the NBA championship.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#8 User is offline   jdeegan 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Economics
    Finance
    Bridge bidding theory
    Cooking
    Downhill skiing

Posted 2012-February-19, 14:54

:P I just saw him beat the Mavs. He is a helluva player.

#9 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2012-February-19, 15:25

The best point guard of all time? LOL.

That said, the Tebow comparisons are really off base as Tebow is not good at the mechanics of his game while Lin is very good at them, Tebow was the best college player at one of the biggest schools of all time and was extremely famous, Lin played for an Ivy and couldn't even get a scholarship and was basically a nobody outside of those who follow basketball very seriously, Tebow is not a minority, etc etc. They are really opposite in almost every way except that they both generated a ton of hype with their success.

#10 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2012-February-19, 16:35

View PostJLOGIC, on 2012-February-19, 15:25, said:

The best point guard of all time? LOL.

That said, the Tebow comparisons are really off base as Tebow is not good at the mechanics of his game while Lin is very good at them, Tebow was the best college player at one of the biggest schools of all time and was extremely famous, Lin played for an Ivy and couldn't even get a scholarship and was basically a nobody outside of those who follow basketball very seriously, Tebow is not a minority, etc etc. They are really opposite in almost every way except that they both generated a ton of hype with their success.

You mistake my comparisons.

New York Knicks guard Jeremy Lin's underdog story and outspoken evangelical faith have some sportswriters dubbing him the "Taiwanese Tebow."

My money is on the devil, Tiger Woods.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users