Posted 2012-February-10, 18:38

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-February-10, 19:41

Deleted due to confusing the auction with something else *
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#3 User is online   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2012-February-10, 19:48

ditto :)

#4 User is offline   quiddity 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-10, 20:15

I would start with a redouble to show my two-card support and values. 2NT is also a possibility but it might be important to protect partner's heart holding.
The auction can get a little tricky though, especially if they bid 2. I don't know if a 2 bid after that would just be stopper-showing or if it would be game-forcing. I guess I'd risk it and then pass if partner bids 3.

#5 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-10, 20:47

View Postjillybean, on 2012-February-10, 19:48, said:

Either you have misread the auction or I am not understanding your suggested bidding. (1) 2 (X) ?

Yes Kathryn, my appologies, i misread it :( I will delete it.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#6 User is offline   sasioc 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-February-10, 21:13

I too would start with a redouble to show values and no initial support. From that point I'd expect partner to take charge of the auction as he will have a far better idea of the combined assets of the partnership than I will, ie I will take no further action apart from penalising if appropriate unless partner makes a move. Imo, if oppo bid something like 2 and I feel I need to bid when that gets round to me, that means I should have opened.

I would have expected 2NT here to be artifical, although I'm not sure what I think it means :P

#7 User is offline   quiddity 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-10, 21:37

View Postsasioc, on 2012-February-10, 21:13, said:

Imo, if oppo bid something like 2 and I feel I need to bid when that gets round to me, that means I should have opened.

oh right, I didn't notice that I was a passed hand. I wonder if that means that the redouble doesn't create a force through 2NT.. but perhaps partner will pass with extra values just to see if we can hit 2? He will be disappointed in that case if we pass, so maybe it should still be forcing.

#8 User is offline   sasioc 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-February-10, 22:50

View Postquiddity, on 2012-February-10, 21:37, said:

oh right, I didn't notice that I was a passed hand. I wonder if that means that the redouble doesn't create a force through 2NT.. but perhaps partner will pass with extra values just to see if we can hit 2? He will be disappointed in that case if we pass, so maybe it should still be forcing.

My current agreement with my p is that in all of these value-showing xx and x situations pass is forcing below 2 and at 2 and higher, double is takeout and pass non-forcing, which solves the problem you have mentioned. If I don't get to have that agreement, I definitely see what you mean about partner wanting to pass in case we can hit 2 but the problem is that we may not have a playable spot above 2NT - I mean, we may not have a fit (at least not from p's point of view) and playing in 2NT feels like a very narrow target.

I think it also depends a lot on your overcall style. I'm aware that many people like to overcall light facing a passed partner but my personal preference is that two level overcalls should be sound, especially vul and double-especially when the overcall isn't pre emptive (ie (1) 2 could be bid on a far weaker hand than (1) 2), so this would not be worse than about a 12 count with a good 6 card suit. If partner might have overcalled on a weak hand, the idea that they might pass with extras in case I can double is a bit scary to me because I'll *have* to pass things out more because, from my perspective, we don't actually have the balance of the strength or a great fit. For this reason, playing a forcing pass here feels scary facing a loose 2 bid - why do I want to double them or get higher when we have a potentially-misfitting combined 20 points?

In the context of playing sound overcalls here, I'm starting to think this hand actually should be doubling 2 if this is for penalties. I don't think oppo have landed on a huge fit (and if they have, p will have a lot of shape and will let me know/ wouldn't have passed it round to me) and I do think we have a comfortable majority of the points in the deck. My hard values in spades can't hurt and my doubleton club may be nice. I'll probably concede 670 a few times but it feels like I'll get a lot of 500s to more than make up for it.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users