• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

LAs?

#1 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2012-February-14, 11:55

All red, MP. The partnership agreement is Capp over all NT.

1N (2D) 2S

Now 4th seat alerts 2D as majors, and 3rd seat retracts his 2S

1N (2D) P

(1) Holding Qxx / 7xx / xxx / xxx, is 2S a LA to 2H?

Suppose you believe that 2S is a LA and 4th seat is compelled to bid 2S. Or suppose that the above never happened, and you see the following:

1N (2D) P (2S)
P ?

(2) Holding 1=3=5=4, and having intended 2D as natural, is pass a LA?
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#2 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2012-February-14, 12:13

2 and 2 are LAs by advancer. People like myself who have made bad bids in defence all my life bid the cheapest when in trouble so to me 2 is automatic. But there is a case for bidding your stronger suit with equal length so some people will bid 2.

Overcaller has a routine pass over 2. Since it is the normal action, taken by 75%+ of people without the UI, and 25%+ with the UI :), it is an LA.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#3 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2012-February-14, 14:10

What difference does it make? Advancer does not have UI from his partner. He was slow to alert 2 and RHO called 2. After the alert and explanation RHO retracted the 2 call. Why does that put any burden on advancer to call 2 because his 3 card spade holding is better than his 3 card heart holding?

Unless someone points out a law or regulation to the contrary, I believe that advancer is entitled to the information provided about the hand by RHO's 2 call. It was not provided by partner, so it is not UI. In a normal situation, a player is entitled to draw any inferences that he can from his opponents' actions, although he often does so at his peril. This is not a normal situation, but I am not aware of any law or regulation that provides that advancer cannot use the information obtained from the withdrawn call.

Given RHO's 2 call, partner cannot hold 4 spades. LHO opened 1NT so he has to have 2 spades (assuming that he did not open with a singleton) and RHO has to have 5 spades for his (presumably) natural 2 call. Advancer has Qxx of spades. That leaves 3 spades at most for partner. So perhaps partner's 2 bid was an error, and he actually has diamonds. Advancer did not find this out from anything that his partner did. So it is not UI.

Quite frankly, if I were in this position, I would pass 2. I don't believe that this is unethical. Furthermore, while RHO is under no obligation to inquire about the 2 bid, if RHO has any experience whatsoever he should do so before calling 2. So RHO should not be relying on your slow alert for protection against his volunteering information to you about his hand. I don't believe the 2 call followed by the retraction gives any UI to opener, because RHO is entitled under the rules to make his call and then retract it after the alert and explanation. But I could be wrong about that.

#4 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-14, 14:12

2S is definitely UI to both the overcaller and the advancer. Otherwise you could slowroll your alerts always with impunity.

edit: but 2S is AI to opener, as it turns out.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#5 User is offline   ArtK78 

Posted 2012-February-14, 14:15

View Postwyman, on 2012-February-14, 14:12, said:

2S is definitely UI to both the overcaller and the advancer. Otherwise you could slowroll your alerts always with impunity.

edit: but 2S is AI to opener, as it turns out.

Please cite a law or regulation to support your position. I am not going to spend the time to look it up, but I don't believe you are correct.

And no, I don't think you can slow roll your alerts with the intention of getting information from the opps. Clearly, the slow alert was inadvertent. If a player deliberately delayed his alerts, there could of course be redress.

#6 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2012-February-14, 14:18

View PostArtK78, on 2012-February-14, 14:10, said:

Unless someone points out a law or regulation to the contrary, I believe that advancer is entitled to the information provided about the hand by RHO's 2 call.

Law 16
D. Information from Withdrawn Calls and Plays

When a call or play has been withdrawn as these laws provide:

1. For a non-offending side, all information arising from a withdrawn action is authorized, whether the action be its own or its opponents’.

2. For an offending side, information arising from its own withdrawn action and from withdrawn actions of the non-offending side is unauthorized. A player of an offending side may not choose from among logical alternative actions one that could demonstrably have been suggested over another by the unauthorized information.

David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#7 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-14, 14:19

View PostArtK78, on 2012-February-14, 14:15, said:

Please cite a law or regulation to support your position. I am not going to spend the time to look it up, but I don't believe you are correct.

And no, I don't think you can slow roll your alerts with the intention of getting information from the opps. Clearly, the slow alert was inadvertent. If a player deliberately delayed his alerts, there could of course be redress.

I will look, but according to the TD, I'm correct. I don't understand why my side should be penalized for their failure to alert in a timely manner.

edit: TY Bluejak

#8 User is offline   ArtK78 

Posted 2012-February-14, 14:28

OK. So fourth hand cannot use the information from the 2 call. He must bid on the basis that the bidding went (1NT)-2-(P). I would hope that the TD would make that ruling at the table.

It is a close call whether he should bid the lower ranking of his 3 card suits or the better of his 3 card suits. I would bid 2, given that Qxx is better than xxx, but not everyone would.

By the way, what was the pace of the auction? Did the 2 bidder make his call immediately over the 2 call, thereby depriving fourth seat of his opportunity to alert? Or was there a fair amount of time between the 2 call and the 2 call?

#9 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-14, 14:39

View PostArtK78, on 2012-February-14, 14:28, said:

By the way, what was the pace of the auction? Did the 2 bidder make his call immediately over the 2 call, thereby depriving fourth seat of his opportunity to alert? Or was there a fair amount of time between the 2 call and the 2 call?

There was no deprivation. Additionally, 4th seat took about 20 seconds _after_ the 2S call before alerting the 2D. She knew they were playing Capp but was struggling to remember what 2D meant. Knowing that it wasn't natural, she still didn't alert it until way later when she figured out what it meant. This wasn't some sinister plan I cooked up to share UI with my partner and fleece my unsuspecting 70 year old opponents.

#10 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-14, 14:42

It is a close call whether he should bid the lower ranking of his 3 card suits or the better of his 3 card suits. I would bid 2, given that Qxx is better than xxx, but not everyone would.

That's why I was asking if 2S was an LA. Obviously if opps had some document that says "if we make a 2-suited overcall of 1N, we _always_ pref the cheapest with equal length" then there's no issue. I would expect that this is a normal agreement, in fact, but that doesn't mean that 2S is not an LA. I know if this happened to me, I would have bid 2S.

#11 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-February-14, 14:45

OK. So fourth hand cannot use the information from the 2 call. He must bid on the basis that the bidding went (1NT)-2-(P).

No, it's worse than that. If he has a choice of actions, he can't choose the one that's demonstrably suggested by the 2 bid. In this case, he presumably has a choice between and . Knowing that RHO has makes more attractive, so he may NOT choose that -- he MUST bid 2.

If they have the agreement that with equal length in the majors they will always bid the lower one, he could then get away with bidding 2 -- 2 wouldn't be an LA in their methods.

#12 User is offline   ArtK78 

Posted 2012-February-14, 15:17

View Postwyman, on 2012-February-14, 14:39, said:

There was no deprivation. Additionally, 4th seat took about 20 seconds _after_ the 2S call before alerting the 2D. She knew they were playing Capp but was struggling to remember what 2D meant. Knowing that it wasn't natural, she still didn't alert it until way later when she figured out what it meant. This wasn't some sinister plan I cooked up to share UI with my partner and fleece my unsuspecting 70 year old opponents.

I never said that it was, and I don't think there was anything stated in the posts above that fourth seat was "an unsuspecting 70 year old opponent."

Although, as I assume that this happened on Sunday in Glenside, it is likely that 70 is as young as it is going to get. :)

#13 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-14, 15:20

View PostArtK78, on 2012-February-14, 15:17, said:

I never said that it was, and I don't think there was anything stated in the posts above that fourth seat was "an unsuspecting 70 year old opponent."

Although, as I assume that this happened on Sunday in Glenside, it is likely that 70 is as young as it is going to get. :)

Friday eve. And I didn't call the director back to see if they should be forced to take the result of 2S-5 instead of 2H-3.

#14 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-14, 15:33

View Postwyman, on 2012-February-14, 15:20, said:

Friday eve. And I didn't call the director back to see if they should be forced to take the result of 2S-5 instead of 2H-3.

But you could have had .5 more matchpoints! :)
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#15 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-15, 05:57

Question 1 is obvious and has already been answered - 4th hand has to bid 2 unless there is some special agreement in place. Question 2 I find more interesting; if 1NT were weak or mini then 2 over a natural 2 would be forcing for many pairs.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#16 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-15, 08:28

View PostZelandakh, on 2012-February-15, 05:57, said:

Question 1 is obvious and has already been answered - 4th hand has to bid 2 unless there is some special agreement in place. Question 2 I find more interesting; if 1NT were weak or mini then 2 over a natural 2 would be forcing for many pairs.

1N was strong

#17 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-15, 11:20

Holding Qxx / 7xx / xxx / xxx, is 2S a LA to 2H?

Has nobody called the director because they have only 12 cards?

Surely partnership style comes in a lot here. Perhaps their system mandates rebidding 2H with 3/3, in which case there are no LAs to 2H.

As for (2), if 1NT was strong then pass is an LA - otherwise, again, it depends on partnership style. I'm not even sure what the standard forcing-or-not-status of 2S is here (when opps open a weak NT).

ahydra

#18 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-15, 12:52

View Postahydra, on 2012-February-15, 11:20, said:

Has nobody called the director because they have only 12 cards?

Surely partnership style comes in a lot here. Perhaps their system mandates rebidding 2H with 3/3, in which case there are no LAs to 2H.

As for (2), if 1NT was strong then pass is an LA - otherwise, again, it depends on partnership style. I'm not even sure what the standard forcing-or-not-status of 2S is here (when opps open a weak NT).

ahydra

the 13th is in a minor, of course, but I don't remember now which.

#19 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-17, 06:47

View Postwyman, on 2012-February-14, 11:55, said:

All red, MP. The partnership agreement is Capp over all NT.

1N (2D) 2S

Now 4th seat alerts 2D as majors, and 3rd seat retracts his 2S

1N (2D) P

(1) Holding Qxx / 7xx / xxx / xxx, is 2S a LA to 2H?

Yes, it is.

View Postwyman, on 2012-February-14, 11:55, said:

Suppose you believe that 2S is a LA and 4th seat is compelled to bid 2S. Or suppose that the above never happened, and you see the following:

1N (2D) P (2S)
P ?

(2) Holding 1=3=5=4, and having intended 2D as natural, is pass a LA?

Not for me, but the auction would continue:

1N (2D) P (2S)
P (3C)1 P (3H)2
P (4H)3 Dbl4 P5

1. Intended as natural, showing a second suit. Understood by advancer as a club fragment showing a decent hand and about a 4513 distribution.
2. Time to show support for overcaller's second suit. Interpreted as Natural, distributional and forcing.
3. I have three card support for your hearts partner! (see 5)
4. Enough of this nonsense
5. What do you mean my hearts? They were your hearts. (see 3)

I don't think that would lead to a good result for the overcalling side.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#20 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-17, 12:56

View PostTrinidad, on 2012-February-17, 06:47, said:

Not for me, but the auction would continue:

1N (2D) P (2S)
P (3C)1 P (3H)2
P (4H)3 Dbl4 P5

I agree with most of this, but wouldn't 3 be FSF?
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users