• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

hilton head #2

#1 User is offline   bftboy 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-February-14, 12:24

2 is a limit raise or better in , denies majors, and normally promises 5 or more clubs. What now and why?

#2 User is offline   pooltuna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-February-14, 12:40

4 Q seems reasonable
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw

#3 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-February-14, 12:54

4. 5 over 4 and 5 over 6.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#4 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2012-February-14, 13:06

agree with the 4 q, 5 over 4, but opposite of Phil I'll raise 5 to 6 instead of taking partner's 6 back to 5 :P
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#5 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-14, 13:07

double post

#6 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2012-February-14, 13:07

I would definitely be trying for 7. Starting with 4H seems normal as long as it is a cuebid rather than a natural bid. I think in an auction like this you just play 4M as a cuebid even though you can be 5-6, it is very rare to begin with, even rarer on the auction when partner shows a fit for your 6 bagger, and even rarer that 4M will make and 5m will go down, it's just not something you're supposed to cater to, especially when it destroys your slam bidding.

That said, if I was unsure and thought partner might pass then 5D has to be a very reasonable option. I imagine it shows a diamond void and both major suits controlled and is trying for 7 so it can't be too far off, and is perhaps best anyways.

#7 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2012-February-14, 14:20

View PostJLOGIC, on 2012-February-14, 13:07, said:

I would definitely be trying for 7. Starting with 4H seems normal as long as it is a cuebid rather than a natural bid. I think in an auction like this you just play 4M as a cuebid even though you can be 5-6, it is very rare to begin with, even rarer on the auction when partner shows a fit for your 6 bagger, and even rarer that 4M will make and 5m will go down, it's just not something you're supposed to cater to, especially when it destroys your slam bidding.

That said, if I was unsure and thought partner might pass then 5D has to be a very reasonable option. I imagine it shows a diamond void and both major suits controlled and is trying for 7 so it can't be too far off, and is perhaps best anyways.

I agree. There may be some doubt that 4 is a cue bid here. 5 is the only alternative that I can come up with, and this puts partner in an awkward position since we have both major suit aces. We are one step away from bidding a grand in clubs that we could probably just shoot out now. I don't see how you can avoid it.

#8 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2012-February-14, 14:47

This sequence is an example of a very complicated sequence, for a number of reasons.

First, minor suit bidding is unique in that the space available after a RKCB 4NT is terribly limited (and 4NT to play often a consideration anyway), where some form of Kickback often is used.

Second, because game in a minor is at the five-level, you lose the ability to make a five-level slam, invite call of some variety, which would be an available option after a major suit is agreed.

Third, in this specific sequence, the opponent's interfering suit is higher-ranking than our suit, and the last call high, such that we do not have the normal ability to cuebid their suit either as a showing bid or as an asking bid, whatever is agreed.

Fourth, Exclusion is all messed up, as well, by all of the above concerns.

Fifth, in this specific sequence, there are concerns about whether the auction is a forcing pass sequence or not, and what the various nuances ar, depending on the answer.

I doubt that many have firm (if any) agreement as to how to unwind all of this.

The idea of cuebidding 4, without more commentary, seems like a lazt response. Sure -- you meet a definition of what 4 might mean. So? Partner, with at best the club Ace and no secondary club honors, with no side Aces, is supposed to know what to do after 4? That is, if he knows what 4 means. I mean, 4 could be a cue, or natural, or kickback. If he guesses you meaning, what are his calls, how do these help you, and what are we doing?

The idea of bidding 5 is also somewhat lazy, IMO, without more discussion. Sure -- this sounds like a void, a grand try, and thus more clearly impressive than 4. But, what does this really do for the sequence and for partner's analysis? If 5 is Exclusion (is it?), you run out of space too quickly to know what the heck is going on or to gather needed information.

My own personal default rules would be as follows:

1. A forcing pass is in play. As a matter of convenience, I am willing to defend 4 doubled, making, on rare occasion to avoid guessing after a cue-raise.
2. If controls are an issue, I must go through pass. Partner should not bypass controls to bid 5 without really good cause.
3. 4 would be Kickback.
4. 4 (Kickback+1) would be Exclusion RKCB for their suit.

These defaults might not be ideal, but at least they get us to a clear start of 4 as Exclusion and void in diamonds. If partner bids 5 (one), I could bid 5 as a trump Queen, but I have that, so I bypass to 5 for specific Kings. If partner shows the spade King (5), I can then ask for the heart King (5NT). If he has both, we have five natural tricks in the majors, five trumps in his hand, and likely three diamond ruffs, with a missing trick maybe replaced by a stray Queen or something. If he has the death hand of 3-3-2-5 and nothing else to offer, I might need a 3-3 heartg split or a spade-heart squeeze.

WIthout these defaults, however, I would be operating on GP. I need partner, probably, to have K, K, A for the grand. If 5 gets a 5 cue, 5 by me (if asking for the King) does the trick. But, if I do not have the kind of defaults that I described earlier, how will this sequence be clear, either?

So, perhaps partner should just realize that those three cards merit accepting or cooperating. Will I know with confidence which, and will he have similar confidence? That's a heavy partnership question. I have seen powerhouse partnerships touchy-feely back-and-forth about grand possibilities, only to end up with someone guessing wrong or having insufficient confidence. (Remember, JL?)

The end result of my analysis, then, is that the "right answer" is extremely default-oriented or partnership-oriented and cannot be explained in any objective manner with the information given.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#9 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2012-February-14, 15:12

It won't surprise forum regulars since I am not very forcing pass oriented but I think playing pass as forcing here is pretty crazy/radical.

#10 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2012-February-14, 15:46

another man's call of 5D.

6D is also possible, but that's SUPER man's call :)

#11 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2012-February-14, 15:48

I agree that this shouldn't be a forcing pass. 2 announced values to force to 3. That is not remotely the same as announcing values for one or both of 5 or setting 4, doubled into game. I'd run screaming from the table if partner alerted my pass and announced 'forcing'.

I like 5, which should, imo, show first round control of all 3 side suits. I think 4M is clearly a cue. I'll pay to a making 5-3 major when our 6-5 minor fails....not too often. So when we force to slam, via 5, we have to have both major Aces and a diamond void.

While it may be possible to construct a hand that forces to slam and has neither major A, partner can tell from his hand that we don't have that holding....he has to have at least one major K, so we have to have the A of that suit...and, since we didn't cue that A, we must have both major Aces.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#12 User is offline   Yu18772 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-14, 15:54

Sorry - I dont get something about kenrexfords post :Why would pass be forcing? All we showed is a minimum opening opposite limit raise, surely 2 is not forcing to 5 vul ?

Also I really dont understand how 4 can be passed - yes opener may hold 5-6 hand, but even then playing 11 card trump fit with side suit for discards should be better than playing 8 card trump fit without side suit discards?

I would bid like Phil (except the 6 to 5 part Posted Image)

Posted Image
Yu
Yehudit Hasin

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

#13 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2012-February-14, 17:25

First of all, I noted that this deal calls for the question of whether it is a forcing pass or not, not that this clearly is a forcing pass siotuation.

That said, my personal thought on this runs along these lines. I don't use a cue raise unless I want to establish a forcing pass sequence. To me, that's slicing the tomato too thin. Sure -- you could probably puit together a fairly compelling argument as to why a cue raise need not establish a forcing pass situation at this point, which is valid. I simply do not want to leave ambiguity and am willing to sacrifice a few bad boards to have a rule that a cue raise establishes a forcing pass.

If I have a hand where I cannot afford to establish a forcing pass auction, I could presumably jump to 3, 4, or even 3. Or, I could bid a simple 2.

I cannot imagine why anyone would use a cue raise just to show a hand worthy of playing at 3 only. That frankly seems dumb to me. If I raise to 2, this auction is surely not dead unless it needs to be if I have a hand where I can only force 3.

So, I surely have enough to really play at at least 4, which to me is the meaning of a limit raise for a minor. I am willing to bid/compete to game-1. But, if I am willing to compete to game-1 wiothout defense, then I have other options to use rather than a cue raise.

Life just seems easier when you hear competition and can set ownership immediately when it exists.

Mike would not run from the table, by the way, as I doubt highly that he would ever sit down as my CHO. That alone would make him go into fits too much to even grab the cards.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#14 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2012-February-14, 17:49

View Postkenrexford, on 2012-February-14, 17:25, said:

Mike would not run from the table, by the way, as I doubt highly that he would ever sit down as my CHO. That alone would make him go into fits too much to even grab the cards.

Maybe you'd sneak in while we're playing with screens?

Actually, so long as we agreed to play some mainstream methods, I suspect we'd enjoy the game....and the post-game beer-fuelled discussion of how much better it would have been had I learned your methods :P
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#15 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-14, 19:37

partner is missing too many keycards for 5 to do us any good, 4 by now

#16 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-14, 21:36

View Postbftboy, on 2012-February-14, 12:24, said:

2 is a limit raise or better in , denies majors, and normally promises 5 or more clubs. What now and why?

prefer 5d

not sure what 4h here is...

#17 User is offline   Codo 

• Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2012-February-15, 02:26

If I had just one bid I would try 7, but luckily I can go slow with a 4 cuebid.
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#18 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2012-February-15, 07:12

Auto 5D for me, and I strongly hate every other bids. Again im playing at least 6C and if i dont show my void now how partner is going to hate his A of D ? Showing the strenght to play 6 and a try for 7 while telling partner that his A of D is worthless but that majors KQ are working and that we wont loose slow trump tricks what more do you want ?
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#19 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2012-February-15, 07:20

playing FP is nutz here, opener can be 12-14 bal and responder have a nice 9 with a D stiff (unless you play that 3C is a mixed raise at these colours).
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#20 User is offline   bftboy 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-15, 10:53

What does simply bidding 6 say here? That's what my P bid, and holding Kx Kxx Jxx A10xxx I passed. Was concerned he had a stiff . Same result at other table. I think if I had the hand I'd have bid 5d, hoping that it shows 1st round controls in all 3 suits, but it is still tough for P to bid 7. That's a lot of faith.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users