• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Skill Level

#1 User is offline   Wayne_LV 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker

Posted 2012-February-05, 19:17

I was bored this AM so I did an analysis of skill levels by selected countries. Below is a list sorted by percentage of players online at that time professing to be Expert or World Class.

COUNTRY % Expert+
Turkey 28%
Italy 21%
Israel 20%
NZ 18%
Greece 17%
Spain 15%
India 14%
France 14%
Germany 13%
England 13%
Australia 12%
USA 12%
Denmark 10%
Canada 9%

Average 18%

There are either a lot more really good bridge players on BBO than I imagined or a lot of ego maniacs. Go figure.

#2 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-February-05, 20:09

i would have predicted the top 2. i'm surprised india isn't higher.

#3 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2012-February-05, 21:01

what world time time was this snap shot taken? I'm surprised to see NZ so high and the Canadians so modest, maybe they were asleep.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#4 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-05, 21:11

It all depends how the word 'expert' is defined in each country.

In my country (Turkey) if u learn and use any convention beyond stayman and xfers you are promoted to advance level. If you perform an endplay or a simple squeeze that has name in books such as 'coup de vienne' even if accidentally, you become expert.

Worldclass level is even easier than all of these, you simply watch a worldclass player in BBO and wait untill they make a mistake that you would not do. As soon as you see this you can claim your world class status but knowing how humble my countrymen are i am not surprised to see most of them settled with only expert status.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#5 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-05, 21:28

jillybean, on 2012-February-05, 21:01, said:

what world time time was this snap shot taken? I'm surprised to see NZ so high and the Canadians so modest, maybe they were asleep.

On an exit poll for tourists, one noted that we say "Thank You" to ATM machines. :blink:
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#6 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2012-February-05, 22:56

ggwhiz, on 2012-February-05, 21:28, said:

On an exit poll for tourists, one noted that we say "Thank You" to ATM machines. :blink:

LoL
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#7 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-05, 23:50

MrAce, on 2012-February-05, 21:11, said:

i am not surprised to see most of them settled with only expert status.

His chart was for expert +.
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#8 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2012-February-06, 01:24

BunnyGo, on 2012-February-05, 23:50, said:

His chart was for expert +.

Oh i missed that detail, ty :)

#9 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2012-February-06, 04:12

Unsurprising results and a topic we've discussed many times before but, for a change, I'll defend the hyperinflation.

A number of my friends are just ordinary club players. They don't play in national tournaments but, occasionally, do play in local events (c.f., sectionals). They regard themselves as solid intermediates and this should be their BBO level. However months of playing with other intermediates has been frustrating, as it seems a lot of intermediates have barely finished their third bridge lesson. So they upgrade themselves to Advanced. They are quite happy here, as most of the real advanced players have defined themselves as Expert for precisely the same reasons.

No-one really likes to put Beginner when they know how to follow suit. Inflation is inevitable. But I still prefer this system to any other that has been proposed or used at other sites.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#10 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-06, 06:21

paulg, on 2012-February-06, 04:12, said:

Inflation is inevitable. But I still prefer this system to any other that has been proposed or used at other sites.

The current criteria for Intermediate is basically "Anyone who has played the game for a year up to anyone who is not regularly successful at tournaments." That's probably well over 80% of BBO players if they were judged by the specified criteria. The ratings seem to me to have been devised by someone who concentrated on the higher levels: intermational success -> national success -> local success -> everyone else. The trouble is that it is the "everyone else" grouping that makes up the vast bulk of players.

Even if the rating system was applied correctly and (almost) everyone was Intermediate it would not be particularly helpful except for the players at the extremes! The real answer is simple - Intermediate covers too broad a range so just split Intermediate into 2 groups. If there is a limit in the software to only allow 6 groups then it would still be better to have 2 intermediate levels and to combine Novice and Beginner. Something like:-

1. Have played bridge for less than a year
2. Played for at least a year but only very rarely successful in tournaments
3. Some success in tournaments. Most club players should rate themselves in this category.
4. Regular success in tournaments
5. Success at State/County/Regional level
6. Success at national level
7. Represented your country

would even out the (correct) numbers in each category enormously. They would even mean something for regular BBO users! Obviously it would not stop inflation; some people will consider themselves Expert whatever the criteria say. But it would reduce some of the need for it.
(-: Zel :-)

#11 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2012-February-06, 08:01

Wayne_LV, on 2012-February-05, 19:17, said:

I was bored this AM so I did an analysis of skill levels by selected countries.

You must have been REALLY bored.

#12 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-06, 08:07

I'm not sure Zelandakh. It's a good idea in principle, but I think the problem is that hardly anybody pays any attention to the level descriptions. So I don't think making them more representative would help much.

Also I agree with paulg about the intermediate level. Almost every "intermediate" I sit down with makes multiple basic errors. This category seems to be mostly populated with novices who don't want to admit that they are still novices (perhaps after years of play).

Also, it seems to me that "beginner" should be a lower rank than "novice". To me a beginner is someone still learning the rules and maybe barebones basic techniques (how to count points, play K to drive out A and promote Q, etc). Of course this doesn't matter much since so few players use these ranks. Just a semantic point.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#13 User is offline   Wayne_LV 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker

Posted 2012-February-06, 09:15

I realize that bridge knowledge does not necessarily translate into performance at the table, but what if .......

A rating system was devised based on results of a bridge quiz. This quiz could be broken down into sections such as:

1. Basic bidding and play
2. Popular conventions
3. Advanced card combinations
4. Leads and signals
5. Other categories

Such a quiz could be online and taken on an honor basis and computer graded. Ratings would then be assigned based on percentage of correct answers in a given category and overall. The quiz could be taken many times as a player learns more about the game and the latest score would used for appying the rating. If you look up all the answers as you take the test, you would at least have read about that aspect of the game once.

Personally I would prefer to play with a beginner that knows how the game is supposed to be played and lacks experience than with a player that has been playing 30 years and has yet to master the basics.

#14 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2012-February-06, 09:24

billw55, on 2012-February-06, 08:07, said:

Also I agree with paulg about the intermediate level. Almost every "intermediate" I sit down with makes multiple basic errors. This category seems to be mostly populated with novices who don't want to admit that they are still novices (perhaps after years of play).

This is precisely the problem. By definition you are Intermediate on BBO after playing bridge for a year. If you think that Intermediate is stronger than this then you simply do not understand how broad this range is. The "Improver" category, level 2 in my post, would cover this group while allowing the grouping you consider Intermediate to populate level 3.

#15 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-06, 09:29

Wayne_LV, on 2012-February-06, 09:15, said:

I realize that bridge knowledge does not necessarily translate into performance at the table, but what if .......

A rating system was devised based on results of a bridge quiz. This quiz could be broken down into sections such as:

2. Popular conventions
4. Leads and signals
5. Other categories

Such a quiz could be online and taken on an honor basis and computer graded. Ratings would then be assigned based on percentage of correct answers in a given category and overall. The quiz could be taken many times as a player learns more about the game and the latest score would used for appying the rating. If you look up all the answers as you take the test, you would at least have read about that aspect of the game once.

Personally I would prefer to play with a beginner that knows how the game is supposed to be played and lacks experience than with a player that has been playing 30 years and has yet to master the basics.

Hey, that's not a bad idea. Probably at least as good as the various rating systems that get proposed from time to time. Better, since it would objectively rate individuals independent of table results (which are strongly dependent on partners and opponents).

And there is certainly lots of quiz material out there. Bridgemaster 2000 by itself would provide plenty - as I understand, the problems cover a very wide range of skill.
-gwnn

#16 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-February-06, 09:37

Do you really think people are going to subject themselves to such a test just to sit down and play some random bridge?

Everyone loves to complain about ratings, but I don't think most people really want to see honest ratings on display -- it would be too much of an ego hit. Go to OKbridge and see the games people play with their Lehman ratings, for instance -- either hiding them or resetting them whenever they get too low.

#17 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2012-February-06, 09:40

Wayne_LV, on 2012-February-06, 09:15, said:

2. Popular conventions
4. Leads and signals
5. Other categories

1. Who chooses the bidding system? Do you really want to make quizzes for every major bidding system in the world? What if I only ever play with one partner and we have a custom system?

2. Again, popular according to whom? Where? Popular conventions with me are denial cue bidding, assymetric relay, ZANT, ZANMO and a few others. How well do you think you will do in a quiz on these?

3. Single suit or within a whole hand? Fred has said that you can be a great player without knowing all card combinations even in a single suit. For whole hand situations this might be even more complicated.

4. Which leads? Do you know Combine carding? Same for signals. Dodds is very popular in the Acol club. Standard carding in Poland is very different from standard in the USA.

5. How about a simple category of:
a. How long have you played bridge?
b. What percentage of the time do you finish "in the points" at local club games?
c. Have you been successful at any national level tournaments? Which and how many?
d. Have you represented your country?

Silly me, that is the current rating system!

#18 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-06, 09:44

barmar, on 2012-February-06, 09:37, said:

Do you really think people are going to subject themselves to such a test just to sit down and play some random bridge?

Of course not. Only if they want a rating. Which some players will surely want - quite a few, I expect.

With a little AI on presenting questions from progressing skill levels, you could get a pretty good rating fairly quickly. Start with say 2-3 questions from the lowest level, moving up a level when all are answered correctly. When wrong answers start to appear, check back with a question from the previous level, etc. I bet you could peg the vast majority of players pretty accurately in 20 questions.

Better yet, BM2k has enough questions that you could take the quiz several times without seeing repeats. Thereby reducing cheating.

The more I think about this idea the more I like it.
-gwnn

#19 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-February-06, 10:00

Zelandakh, on 2012-February-06, 09:40, said:

1. Who chooses the bidding system? Do you really want to make quizzes for every major bidding system in the world? What if I only ever play with one partner and we have a custom system?

2. Again, popular according to whom? Where? Popular conventions with me are denial cue bidding, assymetric relay, ZANT, ZANMO and a few others. How well do you think you will do in a quiz on these?

If you're trying to use the rating system to find compatible partners, you need to know how to play things that lots of OTHER people play. "Popular" means enjoyed by lots of people, not your personal favorites.

If you only play with one partner, then why do you care what your rating is?

#20 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2012-February-06, 10:36

billw55, on 2012-February-06, 09:44, said:

Of course not. Only if they want a rating. Which some players will surely want - quite a few, I expect.

Unfortunately everyone who has played for more than a year wants a rating that shows that they are in the upper 50% of the players.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users