• You cannot reply to this topic

Abuse at the table Too much of this - somenting must be done

#41 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2014-December-13, 01:08

View Postbarmar, on 2012-February-06, 19:12, said:

In particular, while a remark like "ugly turkish bidding" sounds like a racist remark, it could just be a commentary on the prevalent style of bidding in Turkey.

Dude, that is racist. Making excuses for it just makes you look bad.

The problem is, again, that BBO does not have an effective match making mechanism. Let us look at the best matchmaking system on the market. It sensibly includes a process where people can report people for verbal abuse, and if an offender racks up lots of different reports they get banned from using in game chat for a short period. If they keep getting reported for being abusive they are banned from chatting for progressively longer periods. Also if you report a player for abuse you no longer see their messages.

Valve has noted that most players who get chat banned once or twice then start to self moderate. A small minority gets longer and longer chat bans and self select pout.

As an additional method, players who are abusive or have low completion percentages are sorted into a different match making queue and are match made with each other.

This would address JustaDummy's issues in multiple ways

A) he would be matched with partners of similar skill levels
B) Abuse reporting is automated. This would ensure that the community can self police.
B) Abusive players would be matched with similar and nice players with nice players.

Overall this would massively improve the MBC experience

#42 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-13, 01:13

View Postdiana_eva, on 2014-December-12, 17:25, said:

You made some good points, the problem isn't barmar's paucity of thought, rather the huge number of games that take place on BBO. It's impossible to police them at "intent behind words" level, so there must be some automation to at least eliminate what can be considered undoubtedly abusive. That's why the discussion about what, if anything could be eliminated with filters.

This is why you need an automated reporting mechanism. Barmar's thought is pauce because he hasn't looked at the measures implemented and have been demonstrated to be highly effective with other online games.

#43 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-December-13, 12:47

View PostCthulhu D, on 2014-December-13, 01:08, said:

A small minority gets longer and longer chat bans and self select pout.

I bet they do.
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

#44 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-13, 15:10

View Poststraube, on 2012-February-08, 09:33, said:

I'm interested in knowing more about the certain style of bidding.

The other day I was in a team game against a pair and it seemed like every hand one or the other did something godawful but they wound up landing on their feet most of the time. Examples....

Overcalling a 2-cd suit at the 2-level and finding partner with 5-cd support. Partner didn't raise.

In a competitive auction doubling (apparently for penalty) a 3-level contract with one trump. Their partner had 5 trump and pulled.

In third seat, opening 4C with a 15 ct and AKQxx, finding partner with 4 trump and a stiff...off one for a good score. (We could make 4S but it was unbiddable after the preempt)

Responding 1S to 1H and then passing 2H with something like Qxxx AQJx xx Qxx. 4H was making but didn't look like it would make.

I had the impression opponents were sharing information, but perhaps there is some other explanation.

File a report with BBO abuse and put those players on your enemies list. FWIW, the only explanation I can think of is that they were cheating.

#45 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-13, 16:26

This might be a good time/place to repeat the previous discussion of the potential benefits of creating a Speedball Bridge Club, as an alternative to the Main Bridge Club. This would at least do something to separate those who want to play faster from others. The prior conversation is here: http://www.bridgebas...__1#entry672612

#46 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-December-13, 19:19

I was just thinking of the kind of "bad word" filters that you typically find in online forums. Not AI that tries to recognize all forms of annoying behavior.

But considering the international nature of our service, even a profanity filter would be tricky. For all I know, "the cat in the hat" is a horrible insult in Czechoslovakian.

#47 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-14, 07:43

Profanity filters are worse than useless.

What might work would be peer rating as discussed in the "rating players" thread. If someone is marked as rude or w/e by a sufficient number of peers it could have some consequences.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#48 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2014-December-14, 08:33

View Postbarmar, on 2014-December-13, 19:19, said:

... For all I know, "the cat in the hat" is a horrible insult in Czechoslovakian.

I think Czech and Slovak are separate languages - the official languages of separate countries.
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#49 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-14, 16:31

View PostGreenMan, on 2014-December-13, 12:47, said:

I bet they do.

You can an amusingly similar name to the DOTA 2 developer who banned a guy for a gazillion years for unloading a torrent of racist abuse in voice chat.

Eh, why not and have an option to disable them. It's not a solution though I agree, but not totally useless.

What might work would be peer rating as discussed in the "rating players" thread. If someone is marked as rude or w/e by a sufficient number of peers it could have some consequences.

Yes, this is the idea.

#50 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-14, 16:56

View Posthelene_t, on 2014-December-14, 07:43, said:

I enjoy when they do something amusing; one online forum automatically changes one particular racial slur to "attractive and successful African-American."
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

#51 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-14, 16:57

View PostCthulhu D, on 2014-December-14, 16:31, said:

You can an amusingly similar name to the DOTA 2 developer who banned a guy for a gazillion years for unloading a torrent of racist abuse in voice chat.

Not related, in fact I didn't know DOTA existed till just now. But I'll bask in the reflected glory since that one sounds like a good person to be mistaken for.

#52 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-December-14, 17:07

View PostGreenMan, on 2014-December-14, 16:56, said:

I enjoy when they do something amusing; one online forum automatically changes one particular racial slur to "attractive and successful African-American."
Much ado about nothing. Lots of my friends are green.

#53 User is offline   nivri 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-December-20, 22:35

I was playing at table with [name deleted]. His language and accusations were awful. Please look into this. thank you, nivri

This post has been edited by diana_eva: 2014-December-20, 23:31
Reason for edit: Removed name

#54 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-20, 23:29

Hello nivri and welcome to the forums.

Please note that posting people's nicknames on the forum to report their behaviour is in violation of the terms of service.
Instead, please contact abuse@bridgebase.com with all relevant details (including the nickname, chat logs, screen shots, exact times and behaviour) and censor your post above.

#55 User is offline   Frankix2 

• Pip

Posted 2015-December-03, 04:49

I was playing BBO. Last evening -which I was really enjoying.

Had the most horrendous comments from another player, not only to my person, but also to my country.

He was playing anomously, and I was really shaken from his comments

Don't think this enhances the game. Most players are great, but it only takes one bad apple!!

#56 User is offline   oryctolagi 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-03, 12:33

View PostFrankix2, on 2015-December-03, 04:49, said:

I was playing BBO. Last evening -which I was really enjoying.

Had the most horrendous comments from another player, not only to my person, but also to my country.

He was playing anomously, and I was really shaken from his comments

Don't think this enhances the game. Most players are great, but it only takes one bad apple!!

Very sorry to read about this. You're right it really spoils one's experience of BBO! I would suggest you put the person in question on your 'Ignore' list: then their name will appear with a black background on any table list and you can easily steer clear.

Hope you get a better experience from your next BBO session!
Pete.

#57 User is offline   theali 

• Pip

Posted 2016-September-27, 07:13

Hello! I really want to report a 57 years ol man at bbo. He sent me very uncomfortable messages at sunday, 25.09.16. I don't know this guy, so he randomly sent me messages, he also did this to my friend (also a girl).

#58 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-September-27, 07:56

View Posttheali, on 2016-September-27, 07:13, said:

Hello! I really want to report a 57 years ol man at bbo. He sent me very uncomfortable messages at sunday, 25.09.16. I don't know this guy, so he randomly sent me messages, he also did this to my friend (also a girl).

Send the details to abuse@bridgebase.com. Tell them his username and the time that this happened.

#59 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-27, 08:08

View Posttheali, on 2016-September-27, 07:13, said:

I got 'em too. Ignore him - he'll go away :)

EDIT to add: You may have more of the same coming. I have had two very flirtatious players constantly chatting to me for a while (the 57-year old was one of them) so you can look forward to hearing from the other one as well.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users