Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Two sitouts Player taken ill

#1 User is offline   polecat69 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-February-11, 10:56

We had a bridge session yesterday which started with thirteen and a half tables and a north/south sitout. After two rounds, one of the east/west players was taken ill and had to leave.

Is there any lawful way in which the Mitchell skip movement could have been modified at this stage to eliminate the need for both a N/S and an E/W pairs having to sit out for the rest of the session?

#2 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-February-11, 15:33

I'm sure there is, but either it's more complicated than my poor brain can deal with right now, or it's less complicated and I'm missing something. I'll have to think about it.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#3 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-11, 16:47

I doubt that it is possible in Mitchell or Howell schedules because the two pairs with simultaneous sitouts in any round will not have the same boards "available" for play in their respective schedules.

You will (probably) need to reschedule the entire session (including the rounds that have already been completed before the second sitout).

#4 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2012-February-11, 17:03

I have never known anyone even try it. In the very rare occasion when it happens, you just explain to the customers that it's life. Even the surly unfriendly ones generally accept illness as an excuse.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#5 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-February-11, 17:19

Yeah, I had about come to the conclusions that Sven and David suggest. Otherwise it's quite a mess.

I wonder if there's a movement around that would have made it easier, or at least possible.
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#6 User is offline   axman 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-February-11, 21:26

View Postpolecat69, on 2012-February-11, 10:56, said:

We had a bridge session yesterday which started with thirteen and a half tables and a north/south sitout. After two rounds, one of the east/west players was taken ill and had to leave.

Is there any lawful way in which the Mitchell skip movement could have been modified at this stage to eliminate the need for both a N/S and an E/W pairs having to sit out for the rest of the session?

It's possible there is someone that is available immediately to fill in. And there is the possibility that someone [pair] can be called in- even if it takes 30-40 minutes. You may lose some comparisons, but players appreciate playing boards rather than twiddling their thumbs. Most computers will factor automatically.

#7 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-12, 02:08

View Postblackshoe, on 2012-February-11, 17:19, said:

Yeah, I had about come to the conclusions that Sven and David suggest. Otherwise it's quite a mess.

I wonder if there's a movement around that would have made it easier, or at least possible.

No problem at all with series movements where everybody play the same boards during the same round.

#8 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-February-12, 02:33

Ah, of course. I should have thought of that, but they're so rare here it didn't occur to me.
--------------------

#9 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-12, 05:28

Since you had only played two rounds, you could probably re-organise it into a thirteen table Mitchell, retaining as many results as possible, and awarding AV+ for any that had to be cancelled. You might be able to increase the number of played boards with a late-play or two.

Whether all this is better than just living with having a sit-out in each line is something you would have to decide.

I would be less concerned about a sitout in each line than I would about having two sitouts in one line.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#10 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2012-February-13, 12:37

practically speaking, this can be just fine. Give them an unused deck, and give the two sit-outs the option of playing bridge with each other (shuffle/deal/play), but explain that it won't count toward their duplicate score tonight. They don't have to twiddle their thumbs, you've made the best out of a bad situation.
Chris Gibson

#11 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-February-13, 13:19

If you're going to do that, it seems like you should be able to just give them a rounds worth of boards, and add them into the duplicate movement.

#12 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2012-February-13, 15:45

View Postbarmar, on 2012-February-13, 13:19, said:

If you're going to do that, it seems like you should be able to just give them a rounds worth of boards, and add them into the duplicate movement.

Yes, as long as you've lost one EW pair and one NS pair so that nobody will need to sit-out twice, just have a new set of boards that sits permanently at a 'spare' table, that the two pairs sitting out play instead of their 'scheduled' boards when they are sitting out. The movement is worse in that you have more boards in play, and fewer results per board, but at least you know that the scoring will still make sense.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users