BBO Discussion Forums: missexplanation not corrected before the lead - BBO Discussion Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

missexplanation not corrected before the lead

#61 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-February-12, 17:50

If the explanation of "no agreement" is incorrect, his partner can correct it at the appropriate time (after the auction if they become declarer, after the play if they defend). So there's no need to send anyone away from the table.

#62 User is offline   mjj29 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-February-13, 03:36

View Postbarmar, on 2012-February-12, 17:50, said:

If the explanation of "no agreement" is incorrect, his partner can correct it at the appropriate time (after the auction if they become declarer, after the play if they defend). So there's no need to send anyone away from the table.

I would generally only do that if they said "I think we agreed this but can't remember", rather than definitely knowing they hadn't agreed it.

#63 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-February-13, 13:12

View Postmjj29, on 2012-February-13, 03:36, said:

I would generally only do that if they said "I think we agreed this but can't remember", rather than definitely knowing they hadn't agreed it.

Why? If they're wrong, you need to correct it, no matter the form of their error.

Or are you saying you would call the director immediately if they incorrectly gave a definite "no agreement" explanation, and only wait if they gave a "don't remember" answer?

#64 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-February-13, 14:17

I don't remember when I last made an unqualified "no agreement". I don't like unqualified "no agreement"s, and there are quite a few times where "no agreement" about that particular bid, but a whole heck of a lot of agreements around it, some of which are only general bridge knowledge if you play around here (or in Poland, or in China, or whatever). I've made a lot of "no agreement, but..." responses, or "we sat down 5 minutes into the first round, and have never played before. Our entire agreements so far are 'Calgary 2/1, Capp/NT, 1430 and standard carding.' "

I enjoy "what other calls could you have made that you *do* have agreement about?" That usually draws Blackshoe's Reaction (he doesn't do it, but it's his story). I don't care if we're on an equal footing, but when "no agreement" means "partner's likely to get it 65%, but you're on a 50-50 guess", I don't like it.

And there are (some) people who use "no agreement" as, at best (or to be polite), lazy disclosure. That should be discouraged. I don't believe that is a large percentage of the "no agreement" calls, however - just a large percentage of the ones that get to me as a TD call :-)
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#65 User is offline   mjj29 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-February-13, 15:53

View Postbarmar, on 2012-February-13, 13:12, said:

Why? If they're wrong, you need to correct it, no matter the form of their error.

Or are you saying you would call the director immediately if they incorrectly gave a definite "no agreement" explanation, and only wait if they gave a "don't remember" answer?

No, I mean that as a Director, I would send partner away from the table and ask the bidder to explain only if the partner had said 'we have an agreement, but I can't remember what it is', but not if they said 'We definitely don't have an agreement'.

Obviously the normal provisions for correcting MI from partner apply.

Matt

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users