Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Concessions Partner is conceding my tricks

#1 User is offline   snoop1953 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-February-04, 11:08

[font="Times New Roman"]Has anyone other than me noticed your partner can concede your tricks for you? On more than one occasion I have held cashing tricks at the end play, my partner has conceded and our tricks were lost. My understanding of the rules of Duplicate is that you can not concede for partner. This would be a simple programming fix. But first, has anyone else run into this?

#2 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-February-04, 12:54

Yes, I'm sure a lot of people have noticed. Personally I consider it a feature rather than a bug - on the very few occassions I play with a random I like the option to unilaterally accept my opp's perfectly valid claims.

Implementing the full offline rules for claims online is impractical for several reasons, chief among them the lack of a TD in most cases.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#3 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-04, 13:31

View Postmgoetze, on 2012-February-04, 12:54, said:

on the very few occassions I play with a random I like the option to unilaterally accept my opp's perfectly valid claims.
Unfortunately, lesser players use this feature to unilaterally accept their opps' invalid claims.

#4 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-February-04, 15:54

View PostBbradley62, on 2012-February-04, 13:31, said:

Unfortunately, lesser players use this feature to unilaterally accept their opps' invalid claims.

Sure, and some people bid 7NTxx on random hands just for the heck of it. The solution is the same in either case.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#5 User is offline   babalu1997 

• Duchess of Malaprop
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:i am not interested

Posted 2012-February-04, 19:39

View Postmgoetze, on 2012-February-04, 15:54, said:

Sure, and some people bid 7NTxx on random hands just for the heck of it. The solution is the same in either case.

yes that is an annoyance, i remember once holding the ace of trumps, and refusing declarer's claim twice, my partner obliged him.

i mentioned this recently, and on previous occasions here, but bbo wants it to remain that way. some bromide about bridge being a partnership game.

View PostFree, on 2011-May-10, 03:57, said:

Babalu just wanted a shoulder to cry on, is that too much to ask for?

#6 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-04, 23:38

I've had this happen to me. It's annoying, but you get two enemies out of it so I guess that evens out. I wonder if there's a reason to report declarers who accept concessions when the ace of trump is out to abuse.

#7 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-February-04, 23:44

If you concede all the remaining tricks, is declarer even given the option of refusing it?

#8 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-05, 00:46

Yes. Declarer can accept or refuse.

My experience is that in the vast majority of cases nobody looks closely.

In my opinion reporting to abuse doesn't do any good, since declarer isn't abusing anyone - and the hands cant be adjusted anyway.

#9 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2014-September-15, 14:08

View Postbabalu1997, on 2012-February-04, 19:39, said:

yes that is an annoyance, i remember once holding the ace of trumps, and refusing declarer's claim twice, my partner obliged him.

Instead of repeatedly refusing the claim, make a counter-claim of the trick you're guaranteed to win. Do this before partner has a chance to concede it.

#10 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2014-September-16, 23:42

ive had a case where I conceded in error (not knowing partner had a trump trick) or my partner conceded not knowing I had a trump trick.

both cases we were able to get the board adjusted. maybe just friendly directors.

Sarcasm is a state of mind

#11 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-17, 10:27

View Poststeve2005, on 2014-September-16, 23:42, said:

ive had a case where I conceded in error (not knowing partner had a trump trick) or my partner conceded not knowing I had a trump trick.

both cases we were able to get the board adjusted. maybe just friendlycompetent directors.

FYP

#12 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2014-September-17, 10:49

Of course, directors can only be helpful in tourneys, not the MBC.

#13 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-18, 07:20

Maybe it would be worthwhile implementing a safeguard against players claiming tricks they can't possibly win, or conceding tricks they can't possibly lose.

Or maybe not. It would be difficult to protect players against silly concessions like conceeding all tricks when holding trump king guarded behind dummy's ace. So maybe it would just give a false sense of security.

BTW sometimes one of the defenders has left without signing out and then the only way to get a score for the board is for the other defender to concede (or accept declarer's claim).
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#14 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-September-20, 08:53

View Postsnoop1953, on 2012-February-04, 11:08, said:

[font="Times New Roman"]Has anyone other than me noticed your partner can concede your tricks for you? On more than one occasion I have held cashing tricks at the end play, my partner has conceded and our tricks were lost. My understanding of the rules of Duplicate is that you can not concede for partner. This would be a simple programming fix. But first, has anyone else run into this?
IMO, when a player claims/concedes, the software should insist on acquiescence by both the other two active players.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users