BBO Discussion Forums: And the winner is... - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

And the winner is... The 2011 Posty Awards

#1 User is offline   daveharty 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, juggling, disc sports, Jane Austen, writing, cosmology, and Mexican food

Posted 2012-February-03, 23:32

Congratulations to the winners of the 2011 Posty Awards, as selected by their peers.

Newcomer of the Year: Antrax
From a strong crop of new posters, Antrax stood out. His posts are reliably cordial and free of an agenda. When he poses questions, they are non-trivial; when he answers them, he is thoughtful and non-dogmatic. It seems clear that he takes advice to heart without following it blindly. He is clearly an up-and-comer, both as a poster and a player.

"Bridge in the Real World" Award: JLOGIC
Several posters had notable at-the-table accomplishments in 2011, but JLOGIC towered above them all with a year for the ages: high finishes in several nationally rated ACBL events, including his first win in a national pairs game, and a silver medal in the Bermuda Bowl, the most prestigious event in bridge. Currently ranked 64th in the world by the WBF, with a bullet. Oh yeah...and he's what, 25? It's almost scary to imagine where he might go from here.

Thread of the Year: Inquiry's "B/I Defensive Play" series
With this post, Inquiry started a series of threads, targeted at intermediate players, that covered a wide range of crucial defensive themes. They are uniformly high-quality problems: accessible, yet challenging enough to force an improving player to think logically rather than depend on well-worn cliches. Inquiry provided other posters with a blueprint for making the sorts of posts that really help aspiring players learn how to think about the game.

Most Helpful Poster for B/I Players: FrancesHinden
In a close vote, FrancesHinden is the winner in this category. Though an expert player herself, she consistently takes the time to provide thoughtful, informative answers to B/I questions. Going beyond simple poll responses and one-word answers, she provides B/I readers with insight into expert thought processes about all aspects of the game. Blunt, but rarely sarcastic, she successfully navigates the tricky territory between suffering no fools and taking seriously those legitimate questions that some other experts might ignore or view with scorn.

Poster of the Year: JLOGIC
All of the nominees in this category made outstanding contributions to the Forums in 2011, but in the final tally, JLOGIC is 2011's Poster of the Year, in the closest vote of all the categories. He manages to be both authoritative and flexible, a rare feat. He brings enormous real-world credibility to bear on a wide variety of topics; his cogent and penetrating posts can be found in any number of sub-forums. Having largely abandoned the "LOLs" of his younger days, he frequently takes the time to examine issues in greater depth than just about any other poster, and to persuasively argue why his way is usually the right way. A truly world-class talent who doesn't hesitate to share his knowledge, he is an unmatched resource in these forums.

Thanks to everyone who voted. I hope to repeat this every year; I don't post nearly as much as many of you, but I spend a fair amount of time reading the forums and have a deep appreciation for the contributions so many people make.
Revised Bridge Personality: 44 43 33 44

Dianne, I'm holding in my hand a small box of chocolate bunnies... --Agent Dale Cooper

#2 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-February-03, 23:41

Thanks for everyone who voted for me, appreciate it, even though I voted for gnasher it's nice to beat him! lol.

#3 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2012-February-04, 01:14

Weldone, good job dave.

And congrats to winners :)
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#4 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-04, 01:32

I didn't follow this thread but the B/I defensive series were absolutely wonderful, also for me. Thanks again Ben!
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#5 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-February-04, 03:06

View PostJLOGIC, on 2012-February-03, 23:41, said:

Thanks for everyone who voted for me, appreciate it, even though I voted for gnasher it's nice to beat him! lol.

You couldn't have done it without me - I voted for you. It's a good thing I did - otherwise Dave would have had to devise a tie-splitting procedure.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#6 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2012-February-04, 06:23

View Postgnasher, on 2012-February-04, 03:06, said:

You couldn't have done it without me - I voted for you. It's a good thing I did - otherwise Dave would have had to devise a tie-splitting procedure.

Unless you had voted for yourself instead of me then you woulda won. Thanks :)

#7 User is offline   glen 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Military history, WW II wargames

Posted 2012-February-04, 07:02

Not so fast.

JKW is now suggesting all winners must sign this code of conduct:

Bridge forums are not the place for any type of planned or spontaneous personal statements, demonstrations or public displays. I agree that they are intended as a respite from politics, with all posters and bloggers welcome to participate. Without permission from BBO, only the winners are to appear on the podium to receive medals at the award ceremonies where full respect is to be given to BBO through absence of all non-bridge related activity.

Congrads to all the winners, and Justin you continue to spur on the young players by your successes, honesty, openness, and availability, always much appreciated by everybody here!
'I hit my peak at seven' Taylor Swift

#8 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2012-February-04, 08:58

All those qualities Glen mentioned are most definitely much appreciated here. Congrats to Anthrax, JLOGIC, Inquiry, FrancesHinden and their colleagues. This forum rocks.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#9 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-04, 09:53

Congrats to the winners!
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#10 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2012-February-04, 10:20

nice idea, great winners
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#11 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-04, 20:39

i admit when i first read about this concept i thought it would be sort of superfluous. i was quite wrong.

congrats to the winners. daveharty did a great job organizing this, and i think the results are remarkably accurate. thanks to everyone who has made BBF such a great place for bridge discussion, particularly in light of some new competition in the market. i still think BBF is vastly superior for bridge discussion for the normal BBO user, and i admit i hope it stays that way.

wd everyone
OK
bed

#12 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2012-February-06, 13:06

Congratulations to the well-merited winners and
Thanks to Daveharty for his hard work, his diplomacy, and the original idea :)

#13 User is offline   SimonFa 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, sailing (yachts and dinghies),

Posted 2012-February-12, 12:27

Very well organised and worthy winners all, well done.

Simon

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users