BBO Discussion Forums: balancing penalty double of strong NT - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

balancing penalty double of strong NT

#1 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-February-07, 16:08

We've agreed to double as penalty after 1N P P, even against strong NT. I've never played this.

When would I want to double here? Like which vulnerabilities and what strength range?

If my hand is too strong, partner will pull...plus my points are sitting under the strong NT.

If my hand is too weak, responder may have close to an invite.

#2 User is offline   sasioc 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-February-07, 16:22

I also have this agreement but have never had clear discussions about exactly what hands to do it on, so I'm interested to see what the replies say. It has come up a grand total of once for me when, at favourable, I doubled a strong 1NT in pass out with a decent 5332 15 count, hoping that the range change worked like it did when doubling a weak NT. The consensus amongst the people I asked was that I was light but not massively so and that, given that the 1NT bidder was a weak declarer, it was probably OK. Dummy hit with a 4 count and I misdefended ridiculously to let him out for 1100.

#3 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-08, 03:13

The term "penalty double" is a bit misleading here. When we double 1NT, we're making a descriptive call, not expressing an opinion about how many tricks they'll make.

I double on any balanced 15-count, or a bit less at matchpoints, and it seems to work OK.

If partner has a weak hand and pulls to a 5-card suit, that's usually better than defending 1NT undoubled, because his long trumps will be tricks, whereas in 1NT we won't often be able to get to his winners. If partner has a scattering of high cards we'll be defending 1NTx with the right lead and an entryless dummy, so being under declarer won't matter much. If dummy is the one with the missing points and partner has no where to run to it will be a disaster, but that's a similar risk to the one we face when we double 1NT in second.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#4 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2012-February-08, 04:09

Penalty dbl a strong NT on the balancing seat seems like a bad idea to me. If you have a flattish 15+, you're ok with any lead pard makes, so why bid and risk have pard pull this (as he will on a regular basis)?

#5 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2012-February-08, 14:17

As gnasher says, calling it 'penalties' is a mis-description. It works well if you play double as meaning either "I have a strong NT" or "I have a seriously strong hand". Second seat bids on the assumption that you have the first hand type; you show the second by bidding again.

The advantage of this is that
- you take a penalty when you have two balanced hands and the majority of the points
- you compete the partscore when partner has a weak distributional hand

#6 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2012-February-09, 09:29

IMO doubling/overbidding with a strong balanced when you have a strong nt behind you is a beginner mistake, being in front rather than behind is just not the same thing. Use the double for something else, anything else.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#7 User is offline   Raff90 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-February-09, 11:17

Why not playing takeout doubles in last seat? :-/.
I dont even like penalty doubles behind the 1NT opening

#8 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2012-February-09, 13:01

If you are going to make a penalty double of 1NT in passout seat, it should be based on having 7 or more tricks, not a balanced 15 count.

Now, if you want to play a strength showing double of 1NT in passout seat, that is an entirely different thing.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users