BBO Discussion Forums: BB Forums vs JEC (Regular Team Game) - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BB Forums vs JEC (Regular Team Game) Need your input

#41 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-February-02, 12:59

View PostPhil, on 2012-February-02, 12:08, said:

By the way, what prompted this discussion in the 1st place if I may ask?

No, he told me i can come with whomever i think is suitable. I was the one who told him that our team will be created by forum regulars and i told him the level and attitude of people will not dissapoint him.

I prompted this discussion myself. Because i was given thursday evenings in past to create a team including myself vs JEC among regulars of BBO. But due to the nature of my job (i drive my own 18 wheeler 48 states, long and heavy haul and out of home 4-5 weeks at a time) i could not play those games so i turned it in. I was willing to request my day of the week again from Larry, and so i did and called him. He was happy to grant it, thanks to him. And instead of choosing same people and try to play at these games, i decided that it would be much better to come up with a team made by players that i daily discuss in forums. And that it could create a little more traffic and material for forums.

This way i wont have to worry about playing myself. After driving apprx 700 miles a day, everyday i barely find time to relax , open my laptop in truck log in to BBO play couple hands and write in forums. If u guys let me choose the team i can do it, but as i said i am in no way or shape or form requesting this. Its up to you. Since i wont be playing in most of those games i can only promise to be fair to everyone.

But here is what may sound unfair to some of you that i may do, i may let Mike or Andy or Frances or another bigname play with their choice of pds while i beg others to try to find a pd from forums. Because these people are contributing to forums good enough and bringing decent level and quality that we dont need their pds to come and do something that these didnt do. On the other hand if we allow this for everyone, then it turns into a circus and pretty soon we start to see a team that we dont even know the names.

I mean it is hard to contrast Andy and Mike from BBF regulars even when they play with someone we dont know. As they said, they will not be available to do this every week even if they wanted. Please have faith on my experiences about this schedule, we will need everyone who volunteers in these games in long run. And i mean it when i say "Everyone"
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#42 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2012-February-02, 13:11

The more i think the more i love the idea Andy suggested. It doesnt have to be a 1 man chooser and it doesnt have to be so complicated election process for the sake of simplicity.

I will be more than happy to do it with 2 more people. Due to my friendship, i prefer 1 of them to be Phil. We 3 of us dont need to make different teams in different weeks. We 3 can work as a comitee that chooses the team, chooses the subs, posts it and one of us be there during the match to assist them for whatever players may need. And we start a thread after the match in forums and select the hands that needs to be debated, but not limited to. We take volunteer requests, post them and try to do our best to make sure we are fair. All this is tuff for 1 person to achieve. When i fail to see something Phil can see it or when we both cant see something lets say Fluffy sees it etc etc.
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#43 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-February-02, 13:32

Sounds like a good plan. One caveat is that I occasionally have meetings outside of my office (i.e., my home), so a little advance planning would be beneficial.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#44 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2012-February-02, 14:00

I've seen my name a lot in these threads. I'm afraid I wouldn't be playing. I have a full time office day job, I rarely get home from work before 2pm Eastern Time, and I am in bed well before the end of any match starting at 7pm Eastern Time.

However, best of luck to those who play...

#45 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2012-February-02, 14:17

View PostFrancesHinden, on 2012-February-02, 14:00, said:

I've seen my name a lot in these threads. I'm afraid I wouldn't be playing. I have a full time office day job, I rarely get home from work before 2pm Eastern Time, and I am in bed well before the end of any match starting at 7pm Eastern Time.

However, best of luck to those who play...

Ty Frances, but please keep in mind about this, if it happens and u find a day and willing to play, let us know, we will be more than happy to see you playing.

#46 User is online   paulg 

Posted 2012-February-02, 14:40

View Postwank, on 2012-February-02, 12:10, said:

i don't think it should include people from outside the forums.

Except that it would give us a patsy.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#47 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2012-February-02, 18:32

View Postpaulg, on 2012-February-02, 14:40, said:

Except that it would give us a patsy.

I would be more than happy to gear up again playing MOSCITO (Hog/Free you out there?)

Assume that I had time to get back in practice and the opponents didn't have any serious objection...
Alderaan delenda est

#48 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-02, 19:17

View PostMrAce, on 2012-February-01, 14:33, said:

Hi folks.

As most of you know Jimmy Cayne, sponsoring famous Italians and Anerican pros arranges regular team games in BBO twice a day. Larry Lande is the person who organise and directs these games for Jimmy.

I thought it could be exciting if we (BBF regulars) can come up with a team vs JEC and his top worldclass partners / teammates once a week.

This will not only allow us to play vs top level worldclass players, but also create a lot of material to debate in the forums after the match. Not to pick up on our teammates or whitch hunt of course.

I am thinking we have a lot of players here pottentially can play at these games. And due to my relation with LL i think i can have 1 day every week (except during nationals and world champ events) reserved for us to play vs JEC. But i didnt want to make promises before i check it with you.

1- What do you think ? Is this a good or bad idea ?

2-If the answer to 1st question is good, then we can talk about it more about ( when, which day and time, who, how etc etc) if u guys think it is not a good idea or that it wont work ...oh well, no hard feelings.

Thanks to all who replies.

EDIT: If you dont want to write your opinion publicly for whatever reason, please feel free to email me turkofla@hotmail.com

Whats not to like???? Some of the form contributors will yawn because they have a steady diet of playing
the best of the best but most of us pay big bucks to travel somewhere and mostly just get to sit in the same
room. (watching vugraph is nice but too much of the bidding is left to the imagination).
I applaud your idea that has drawn a consensus enthusiasm form a crowd that rarely agrees on anythng:)))
I gladly throw my name into the ring and time is rarely a consideration for me. I hope the time I was
submitting opinions under gszeszycki (name shortened due to demand) will count in case there is a certain
minimum number of submissions required.

My only suggestion is to not use count only because many issues are adequately covered by the first 2/3
entries and anyone arriving late may not feel like going through the effort of commenting when they
have nothing else to add except I agree with (enterfavoritepostersnamehere). Try to examine content and
see which comments spur interest (even if its hatred hehe) because few of us would bother to post
if the problems were all covered by the first 2/3 posters

#49 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2012-February-02, 19:55

View Posthrothgar, on 2012-February-02, 18:32, said:

I would be more than happy to gear up again playing MOSCITO (Hog/Free you out there?)

Assume that I had time to get back in practice and the opponents didn't have any serious objection...

I would like to Richard, but I really am too busy with my kids these days.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#50 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2012-February-02, 20:40

delete
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#51 User is offline   akhare 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-03, 10:24

Great idea -- my pard and I (straube /foobar) would definitely be interested..
foobar on BBO

#52 User is offline   32519 

• Insane 2-Diamond Bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Books, bridge, philately

Posted 2012-February-03, 13:22

MrAce, this is a great initiative from you. I have a suggestion to add regarding the later discussion of any hands played in the forums.

Contact Fred (or Inquiry) to create a new forum titled something like, “BB Forums vs JEC.” There is already a forum titled “Interesting Bridge Hands.” Having a “one-stop-shop” where all the hands posted vs JEC can be found simplifies sifting through all the hands posted in the Interesting Bridge Hands forum. If someone erroneously posts a random hand here it can either be deleted or moved back into the Interesting Bridge Hands forum.

I’m confident that this new forum will generate a significant amount of interest.

#53 User is offline   inquiry 

• Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2012-February-03, 15:14

View Post32519, on 2012-February-03, 13:22, said:

Contact Fred (or Inquiry) to create a new forum titled something like, "BB Forums vs JEC." There is already a forum titled "Interesting Bridge Hands." Having a "one-stop-shop" where all the hands posted vs JEC can be found simplifies sifting through all the hands posted in the Interesting Bridge Hands forum. If someone erroneously posts a random hand here it can either be deleted or moved back into the Interesting Bridge Hands forum.

I'm confident that this new forum will generate a significant amount of interest.

First, don't contact fred over something so trivial. Second, I can do better than that. I can create a forum for forum-team/forum-tournament based things. We have had forum only tournaments in the past. There is a concept to start a forum team thing independent of jec matches, and of course, the proposed weekly forum jec matches. If the interest is enough, a forum for such things could be created... I would want to wait until at least a few jec matches had been carried off successfully before creating a jec team match forum.
--Ben--

#54 User is offline   Raff90 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-February-08, 20:13

So what is a BFF regular?
Does it depend on how many posts someone did?
And if someone gets chosen wouldnt it be better if that person could choose his partner?
I mean i have no clue of how many regular partnerships are posting here regularly.

#55 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2012-February-08, 20:47

View PostRaff90, on 2012-February-08, 20:13, said:

So what is a BFF regular?
Does it depend on how many posts someone did?
And if someone gets chosen wouldnt it be better if that person could choose his partner?
I mean i have no clue of how many regular partnerships are posting here regularly.

Not BFF but BBF (Bridge Base Forums)

We have obviously too many members here, but we also have a group of people who regularly posts here. Some of them are world wide famous top players. When i proposed my idea to LL (Larry Lande) what in my mind was to regularly come up with a team among those forum regulars who are adv+. And i am willing to insist on these regulars to play with each other as pd in those games EXCEPT some privilidged ones. This privilidge is not given to them by me, i call them privilidged due to their level,contribution to forums and being respected by almost all different small groups in the forums.

I also think these privilidged players serve the purpose of these matches better for JEC side of the story, who is obviously practicing for very top events in the world. But in the long run i predict we will need each and every single individual to play at these games. As i said previously i beg your patience and support so we can have some action both at the table and in forums :)

#56 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2012-February-09, 00:29

Oh well I won't make the cut, I withdraw my earlier request to play.
Go get em guys.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users