BBO Discussion Forums: Decision Time - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Decision Time

#41 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2012-February-07, 12:51

ArtK78, on 2012-February-07, 12:35, said:

It is almost the same as playing takeout doubles at the one-level. Sometimes RHO opens 1 and you hold the KQJTxx of spades. I don't think anyone will argue that a double of 1 should be for penalties (although that was true in the early years of bridge - and I may be talking about auction bridge - unfortunately, I lost my authority on the early days of contract bridge a couple of years ago).

Hi Timo

You don't have to go back as far as the 'early days' to find when doubles of overcalls were played as penalty. The negative double was invented by the Edison of the bridge world, Alvin Roth. I am not sure exactly when he came up with it, and it wasn't as we now use it, but it would probably have been in the late 1950's. Early on they were often referred to as Sputnik doubles....a reference to the Soviet satellite that prompted the US to embark on the race to the moon. I think Sputnik was late 1950s but I'm too lazy to look it up.

Ok, maybe that seems like the early days :D I collect bridge books, and generally look only for books published before 1940, so I have a distorted view.

I have a 1948 BW in which the nationals in Miami were covered....Roth is identified as a young up and comer, who suggested that maybe an overcall of 2N over 1M should show both minors.....this was the invention of the unusual 2N, and many more inventions were to follow..some of which never caught on (1M 2M was STRONG), some of which had a niche following for years (the R-S sound 1st and 2nd seat opening bids) and some of which are commonplace.....5 card majors, forcing 1N response, negative doubles, etc.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#42 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2012-February-07, 14:06

Pardon me for asking, but who is Timo?

Yes, even the invention of the negative double was before my time. And it was in the late 50's, hence the name Sputnik. But I do remember at one of my first club games overhearing a player talking about playing in a recently concluded national tournament and saying how he got some good results playing positive doubles. And this was in the early 70's.

#43 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-07, 14:23

Timo Wyman of course

#44 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2012-February-07, 14:27

JLOGIC, on 2012-February-07, 14:23, said:

Timo Wyman of course

, Esquire
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#45 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2012-February-07, 17:30

I am Timo :)

Now i know why u wrote "Which team is Timo in" in forums team matches thread Wyman, sorry i thought u were talking about me since Timo is not a very common name.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#46 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-07, 18:09

ArtK78, on 2012-February-07, 14:06, said:

But I do remember at one of my first club games overhearing a player talking about playing in a recently concluded national tournament and saying how he got some good results playing positive doubles.

Still the only permitted method at many rubber bridge clubs. I enjoy playing these methods at duplicate, though most of my partners won't have it.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#47 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2012-February-07, 18:57

MrAce, on 2012-February-07, 17:30, said:

I am Timo :)

Now i know why u wrote "Which team is Timo in" in forums team matches thread Wyman, sorry i thought u were talking about me since Timo is not a very common name.

heh, no, i was legit asking which team you were on.

JLall was just having fun, since 'everyone' around here knows that you are Timo.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#48 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2012-February-07, 19:29

wyman, on 2012-February-07, 18:57, said:

heh, no, i was legit asking which team you were on.

JLall was just having fun, since 'everyone' around here knows that you are Timo.

Man...Justin and his sarcasms...harr harr :angry: :P :D
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#49 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-07, 20:04

no, i'm spartacus

#50 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2012-February-07, 22:21

lol, Timo you're crackin me up lately with the sarcasm detection!

#51 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2012-February-07, 22:45

From Big Bang Theory
Penny: Well, I’m watching it now. Why would I want to see it again on Friday?

Sheldon: Because the print they’re showing on Friday has an additional 21 seconds of previously unseen footage.

Penny: What, 21 seconds? That’ll be like seeing a whole new movie!

Leonard: Exactly. They say it finally solves the submarine controversy.

Sheldon: Did Leonard? I’m no expert, but I believe what we just heard from Penny was sarcasm. (She indicates it was) Oh, good. I’m eight for 26 this month.
Howard: You know, if we miss it, we’ll have the fun of listening to Sheldon whine about it for the rest of our lives.

Sheldon: See? Howard’s on my side.

Howard: Actually, I’m not. I’m using sarcasm to mock you.

Sheldon: Drat. Now I’m 8 for 27.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#52 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2012-February-08, 00:29

JLOGIC, on 2012-February-07, 22:21, said:

lol, Timo you're crackin me up lately with the sarcasm detection!

Yup i jumped on bait 3 times

1- When Han was supposedly bragging about his ratings

2- Verhees comment on his pd's lead

3- This one

Oh well....I guess the phrase 'Sarcasm dont work well on the net' should be changed to 'Sarcasm dont work well on the net and especially on Timo' i guess

#53 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-08, 08:18

MrAce, on 2012-February-08, 00:29, said:

Oh well....I guess the phrase 'Sarcasm dont work well on the net' should be changed to 'Sarcasm dont work well on the net and especially on Timo' i guess

It also doesn't work well on physicists. Perhaps you have missed your calling Timo?
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users