BBO Discussion Forums: ACBL: Review of Laws of Duplicate Bridge - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ACBL: Review of Laws of Duplicate Bridge

#1 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2012-February-13, 09:47

The following notice is posted on the ACBL website:

The ACBL Laws Commission has formed a committee to review the current Laws of Duplicate Bridge to start developing the next revision (likely in 2017). Should you have cogent suggestions for incremental improvements in the current version, please email your suggestions for the committee's review at lawsdraft@acbl.org. All suggestions will be read with interest, but given the expected volume, most will not receive an individual reply.

#2 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2012-February-13, 11:40

An idea...

Maybe we at BBF should create a running discussion of suggested Laws changes. The same could then be forwarded to the committee and might carry a little bit more weight.

Perhaps an ideal might be to have a post that solicits ideas. Then, all of the ideas listed could be put together in a poll for people to say up or down on each suggestion? Or, maybe people just up-vote or down-vote ideas as they come up. That might work well, too.

Any takers? (I'm too busy to organize that.)
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#3 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-13, 20:23

Certainly a lot of input from forum members could be productive. Perhaps, something simpler might work.

Say, over the next couple years, members post a single-purpose thread for each Law or related combination they would like changed. Then after a thorough hashing, the OP or someone in the mood could compact each thread which has produced something meaningful and submit it as a separate suggestion.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#4 User is online   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-13, 22:11

I note "incremental changes". Clearly the ACBL is not interested in major changes, such as a reorganization. :(
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#5 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-February-14, 00:29

View Postblackshoe, on 2012-February-13, 22:11, said:

I note "incremental changes". Clearly the ACBL is not interested in major changes, such as a reorganization. :(

Well, the ACBL is not officially in sole charge.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#6 User is online   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-February-14, 01:07

View PostVampyr, on 2012-February-14, 00:29, said:

Well, the ACBL is not officially in sole charge.

Oh, I agree completely. Try telling the ACBL that. :D

I believe the assertion is that the ACBL holds the copyright for the law book in "the Western Hemisphere". This is backed by the statement on the title page of the current ACBL Laws: "As Promulgated in the Western Hemisphere by the American Contract Bridge League". The WBF's version doesn't seem to have a copyright notice, or any indication that it doesn't apply "everywhere". I had thought that the ACBL Lawbook only applies in North America, but now I wonder what the story is in the rest of the Western Hemisphere — and if they go with the WBF version, what will happen if (when?) the two versions diverge, and the ACBL tries to assert its copyright outside of North America. :unsure:
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#7 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-14, 10:23

Having said that, Grattan from the WBFLC said the same thing last year (about incremental changes only). I strongly encourage a subforum, if we can get one, or a brainstorming thread and throwoff discussions. I know I'm trying to think of things to suggest, but having trouble (regulations seem to be my bugbear these days), but others' discussions will I'm sure trigger mine.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#8 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-February-14, 13:40

It sure seems like we should be able to go through threads in these forum to find all times where we've had long debates because the language in the Laws was ambiguous. Collecting and forwarding them to either or both the ACBL and WBFLC would be a good step.

#9 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-February-15, 17:05

View Postblackshoe, on 2012-February-13, 22:11, said:

View Postmycroft, on 2012-February-14, 10:23, said:

Grattan from the WBFLC said the same thing last year (about incremental changes only).

Yes, that is what we have been told. I can somewhat understand their reluctance to trash the whole LAWS format and start over. It isn't that poorly organized.

However, it will be truly unfortunate if, in the five years they have to work on it, they are really too lazy or too complacent to move some things around.

What comes to mind for example is the Law about use of external aids for "memory" or for "technique", which are mired in the rules about the play of the hand and should apply to the entire period from beginning of the auction to the end of play.

There could be a meaningful clarification of when, for instance, the CC or a part of it can be used by the owners of same.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#10 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-February-15, 21:55

I assume they just mean they're not going to do major reorg, not that minor rearrangements are dismissed out of hand.

#11 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-February-16, 02:24

View Postaguahombre, on 2012-February-15, 17:05, said:

I can somewhat understand their reluctance to trash the whole LAWS format and start over.

I can understand it too. If you've devoted a lot of time and effort to making something it's hard to be objective about the end result.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#12 User is online   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-February-16, 02:42

My concern is not that they may be unwilling to make radical changes to the format of the laws, but that their idea of "incremental" change will turn out to be (at least in my opinion) too limited. I suppose though that the only thing to do is to wait and see what happens.
--------------------

#13 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-February-16, 03:24

View Postblackshoe, on 2012-February-16, 02:42, said:

My concern is not that they may be unwilling to make radical changes to the format of the laws, but that their idea of "incremental" change will turn out to be (at least in my opinion) too limited. I suppose though that the only thing to do is to wait and see what happens.

It seems to me that this isn't either the only thing to do or the best thing to do. If there are changes that you want to see, you should write to both the WBF and the ACBL, explaining what you think needs changing and why, and giving real-life examples of situations where the current laws fell short. Then you should encourage all your friends to do the same.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users