Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Splinter??

#1 User is offline   Adobe BC 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-January-26, 19:49

ACBL, non-Life Master section, so the skill level and understanding of the Laws is not expected to be great. The 3 bid was Alerted, and explained as a splinter. This led to (an agreed) indication of distress by West. It was then stated that it might be a weak jump shift. EW have both weak jump shifts and splinters marked on their convention cards. The Director was not called until the play of the hand was completed. Presumably, if the Director had been called at the time of the questioning, he should have asked West if he thought there was an agreement, and, if so, sent East away from the table to have it explained (corrrect?). South stated that he was unsure of the meaning of partner's double, because of the doubt about the 3 bid, and wanted an adjustment. With a proper explanation, if I had been holding the South cards, I would have bid 3N. This makes, double-dummy, except with a diamond lead. 3H makes, D-D, but several pairs made 4, which was the result at this table. Would you adjust the score?

#2 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-January-26, 20:10

TD should investigate what the actual agreement is. This will involve looking at system cards, asking questions and yes, possibly sending East away from the table. However, East has UI from West's"distress", that cat is already out of the bag, and the UI suggests that pass might lead to a better result that further bidding in diamonds. East's choice to pass is clearly influenced by UI. Absent the UI, East would probably bid 5, this would be doubled by NS, and it would go down several. So yes, I would adjust the score, but on the basis of infraction of Law 16 and 73C rather than infraction of the MI laws (20, 21, 40, 75).
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-January-26, 22:29

If you play both WJS and splinters, 2 is a WJS and 3 is a splinter, unless you have very unusual agreements. If West thinks that's a WJS, he's more likely to be confused than explaining an actual agreement (how does he think he splinters?). Unless he says they've agreed to only splinter over majors (on the ACBL CC, the splinter checkbox is in the Major Openings section for some reason). But if West says they only splinter over majors, and East says they splinter over either, I'm not sure what basis I'd use to decide.

#4 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-27, 04:28

View Postblackshoe, on 2012-January-26, 20:10, said:

TD should investigate what the actual agreement is. This will involve looking at system cards, asking questions and yes, possibly sending East away from the table. However, East has UI from West's"distress", that cat is already out of the bag, and the UI suggests that pass might lead to a better result that further bidding in diamonds. East's choice to pass is clearly influenced by UI. Absent the UI, East would probably bid 5, this would be doubled by NS, and it would go down several. So yes, I would adjust the score, but on the basis of infraction of Law 16 and 73C rather than infraction of the MI laws (20, 21, 40, 75).

I mostly agree with this, but I would ask East why he passed. He might be good/experienced enough that pass would be routine in this situation to give his partner to indicate whether or not the first round of the suit is controlled.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#5 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-January-27, 04:36

Possibly, and certainly the TD should investigate it.
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#6 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-27, 07:40

View Postbarmar, on 2012-January-26, 22:29, said:

If you play both WJS and splinters, 2 is a WJS and 3 is a splinter, unless you have very unusual agreements. If West thinks that's a WJS, he's more likely to be confused than explaining an actual agreement (how does he think he splinters?). Unless he says they've agreed to only splinter over majors (on the ACBL CC, the splinter checkbox is in the Major Openings section for some reason). But if West says they only splinter over majors, and East says they splinter over either, I'm not sure what basis I'd use to decide.

This is not standard. If you play better minor such that 1d can be 3, its std not to play splinters.

Only if one diamond is 5+ is it normal to play splinters here, and even then its not that clear. Mostly because splintering without a 4cM is so rare. If one d is 5+ and you have a slammish hand, then ignoring the major is acceptable.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#7 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-January-27, 12:10

I don't know what "standard" is, or even if there is a standard. I do know that I play that 1m-2m is GF, and responder can later splinter showing a singleton, and that 1m-2M is natural, and that 1m-3M is a void showing splinter.
--------------------

#8 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-January-27, 13:39

If you splinter over a minor, usually you'll have 5-card support, because otherwise you'll have another reasonable bid.

In any case, it's still pretty unusual to play a double jump shift as WJS. So although EW may have agreed to play WJS, I'll bet they never actually discussed THIS auction. So what we have is not a question of agreements, but they're understanding of what their agreements mean.

#9 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2012-February-03, 14:30

View Postphil_20686, on 2012-January-27, 07:40, said:

This is not standard. If you play better minor such that 1d can be 3, its std not to play splinters.

Only if one diamond is 5+ is it normal to play splinters here, and even then its not that clear. Mostly because splintering without a 4cM is so rare. If one d is 5+ and you have a slammish hand, then ignoring the major is acceptable.

Of course I am not in North America, but in my experience 3 is either a splinter or non-existent even over a better minor opening.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users