BBO Discussion Forums: 3 diamonds or 4 clubs? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 diamonds or 4 clubs? ACBL

Poll: 3 diamonds or 4 clubs? (29 member(s) have cast votes)

Bid 3 diamonds or bid 4 clubs?

1. 3 diamonds (12 votes [41.38%])

Percentage of vote: 41.38%

2. 4 clubs (13 votes [44.83%])

Percentage of vote: 44.83%

3. something else (4 votes [13.79%])

Percentage of vote: 13.79%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2012-February-02, 11:12

View Postrduran1216, on 2012-February-02, 00:24, said:

my point is that most of the time when you hold AQ10xx of an overcaller's suit, you should be looking to punish. Nothing is stopping the 1S opener from being 5314 or 5305 or 5215 or 5404 or 6214 or...

Even if the opps have a 9 card club fit, how often will they run to it? If the partner of the 2D overcaller is xx25, do u expect him to rescue?

The only downside to pass, is if the auction goes 1S 2D all pass. The frequency of this versus the frequency partner reopens is very skewed in favor of reopening IMO. Yes my last post was riddled with oversights, point was, they wont have a 10 card club fit most times one of them overcalls a separate suit, and I can always make a forcing call later by cueing the overcallers suit. The upside of punishing here has to be the top priority.

By passing and waiting for partner to reopen with a X, you are putting down a lot of parlays.

1) partner won't pass out the bid
2) parther chooses to reopen with X instead of some other call
3) opponents, who have at minimum an 8 card fit somewhere, and likely a longer one, choose to play in diamonds.
4) The score you get from defending 2DX is more than the potential game or slam that you will almost certainly be able to make.

Frankly, that's too much for me.

I know what my cue-bid after they run would mean - it would mean I had a penalty pass, and that we are now in a game force. It would be unclear as to whether I have spade support, and we certainly would have trouble intelligently exploring slam. Even worse is if partner bids, let's say, 3C instead of Xing back in. Now a cue-bid is club support for me. I suppose I could convert to spades later, but partner will have to field the bid as an offer to play instead of a club cue-bid if he has something like Kxxxx Qx x AKQJx. That's too much uncertainty for me, making it a treacherous auction, all because I violated a basic tenent of bidding in not letting partner know I have support for his primary suit as soon as possible.
Chris Gibson

#22 User is offline   jdeegan 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Economics
    Finance
    Bridge bidding theory
    Cooking
    Downhill skiing

Posted 2012-February-16, 01:00

:P 3 lays the basis for a constructive auction to bid to game and to investigate slam. The hook is on, and pard is short. QJxx in is great support. KJx in ought to be useful. The stiff is interesting.

In spades your initial tentative 'count' is 17. Opposite pard's opener, this means slam is in the air, but far from certain. You don't really want to drive past 4 in case pard has a misfit with clubs. Your known nine card fit precludes trying for a defensive telephone number at the two level - not enough of a misfit.

Pass is idiotic. 4 (assuming it is read as a splinter, which it should probably be) will simplify the auction and solve the slam/no slam question on lots of hands. Still there are plenty of hands where pard can have a little extra plus a wasted club card, and we still want to be in six:

AK10xxx
Axx
x
Kxx

Anyhow, I like 3

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users