BBO Discussion Forums: where to find a good book on signaling - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

where to find a good book on signaling

#1 User is offline   patroclo 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-January-28, 11:30

Someone can tellme a good book or material with many examples on signaling. Comparing different kind with the same hand.Thanks Gigi

#2 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2012-January-28, 12:47

View Postpatroclo, on 2012-January-28, 11:30, said:

Someone can tellme a good book or material with many examples on signaling. Comparing different kind with the same hand.Thanks Gigi

David Bird, who is a generally good writer, has a new book (about a year old) entitled something like "defensive signals playing bridge". I haven't read it, but a friend of mine who I respect says it is very good. I am going to borrow his sometime.

Eddie Kantar Teaches Modern Bridge Defense", is another book I don't have, BUT i like kantar's writing better than David Bird's and kantar's book is probably more inclusive (more than signals). i do have a lot of kantar's books, including what is probably considered a classic, "defensive play complete". I guess if I had to pick a book blind to recommend, because of what I know about kantar, I might pick this. He has a second book, eddie kantar teaches advanced bridge defense, but I have been told that the modern bridge defense deals more with standard signals.

Krzysztof Martens "guide dog, volumes 1 and 2". I am now somewhat leery of recommending these two books. i love them, and they are among my favorite of all times. They deal only with signals. Sadly, the concepts seem to advanced for most people who I have allowed to borrow my books. I am not entirely sure why. BUT clearly, these books are best for people who are already at least high advanced or better, and who can visual bridge hands at a fairly complex level. They are not for someone just getting started at signalling. You can find my review of this two volume work at guide dog 1 and 2

You could always go to amazon and read the reviews of these (and other) defensive related books to see which ones might suit you best. Good luck.
--Ben--

#3 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-January-28, 17:04

Generally, books on signaling adopt a particular method. They don't present a hand and then say "using method A, you would play the six, but using method B, you would play the two" - unless they're talking about "upside down" signaling.

I second Ben's endorsement of Kantar's books on defense. Kantar is an excellent teacher. I'd also recommend Kit Woolsey's Defensive Signaling at Bridge, which does contrast (although not, iirc, with copious examples) "upside down" and "right side up" signaling. Bird's a pretty good writer, but I haven't read his book yet myself. Hy Lavinthal wrote Defensive Strategy in Bridge: Featuring Suit-Preference Signals, which isn't bad, but I'd read Kantar first.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#4 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-January-29, 16:52

View Postinquiry, on 2012-January-28, 12:47, said:

Krzysztof Martens "guide dog, volumes 1 and 2". I am now somewhat leery of recommending these two books. i love them, and they are among my favorite of all times. They deal only with signals. Sadly, the concepts seem to advanced for most people who I have allowed to borrow my books. I am not entirely sure why.

Just a side not: One thing about the Guide Dog books that concerns me is that the signals are so variable. Do you think that it might be difficult to figure out what signal you want to give on a particular hand, and then play your card, in tempo?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users